bassett

Which ecutek map options?

Hi all,

I'm getting my N/A 86 mapped tomorrow and wondering what combo of map options you have and would recommend. Do any of the extras ie launch control get in the way and should be separate of other ones?

Thanks

Adam

I have the following

1. Reduced throttle map

2. Full throttle map

3. Full throttle (Flat foot shifting & auto blip)

4. Shitty fuel map

You wouldn't need a reduced throttle map, I only have it because of the supercharger. I'd advise at least having two maps with settings separate. You have 4 to play with after all. 

Default Cosworth maps were:

1: Shittyfuel (was always default, older software)

2: Standard map

3: Standard + Blip + Flatfoot

4: 3+ launch control

Now I have:

1: Standard

2: 1+ Flatfoot

3: 2+ blip + launch

4: Shittyfuel

Launch can be on any map, you need to follow a procedure for it to work with driving aids, holding the clutch and flooring it, so driving normally you won't really trigger it. I think it's more important you get flatfoot and blip calibrated to your driving style if you plan on using them.

1 / 2 / 3 - full power + more sensitive throttle. Dunno what "toys" are set on the first 2 as I just leave it in map 3 which as auto blip / launch control and flat foot shifting - only auto blip can get in the way.

4 - standard map effectively for shit fuel and normal throttle response

I'm getting mine remapped next week so this interests me aswell.

Auto blip sounds quite annoying - it's easy enough to diy on the track when you're braking hard. Is it actually useful on the road? Thinking of leaving it off completely as flat foot shifting could be useful? Hmmm.

It's only active high in the rev range so daily driving it doesn't do it. Flat foot shifting I only use on track and in certain places, not entirely sure it's the smoothest on the car tbh

Auto blip I like because I'm rubbish at heel-toe (years of foot pointing the wrong way, going to take a while to train out of it), mine's set to only do it above 2.7k, was lower on my old map and made car parks interesting if I was still in that mode. If I'm pushing it on the road it doesn't feel like it's in the way if I have forgotten it was on, I had it adjusted slightly so I can get a smooth gear change with it on track.

Flat foot I don't really use, by default it holds the revs at the current level so it never really felt smooth, now I have mine set 400rpm less to allow a bit of drop and a smoother change. Worried about the wear on the clutch if I used it too much in "stock" form.

Stock pedals in ours aren't exactly positioned best for heal & toe. Too far apart, gas pedal a bit too low. There are several relocation kits though, that rise it by inch and move closer to brake pedal by half an inch.

Sounds more complicated than I first expected and I was already confused :D

Which maps are worth having increased throttle response on and how do you find it beneficial?

I wanted a valet and poor fuel mode so might see if these can be done as one map. Has anyone limited in gear revs ie 1st to no more than 4k rpm? 

I don't use them on mine either. Get auto blip if you can't drive, i.e., can't heel and toe, though I'd recommend learning to heel and toe and it's a piece of cake with the peddle position in the GT. 

Needless to say, I didn't have that option added on my map.

I have got flat foot shifting, though I never use it. Ditto launch control. I don't get how it works and the only way to launch is relatively slowly really. 

I have got the 95 RON fuel map, though in 98K miles my car has never seen 95 RON fuel, so again, fairly pointless. I just leave it one map all the time. Seems to work fine. 

But you've got four maps, so may as well have some options on the ones you'll never use. ;)

Has anyone ever had a 97 RON map? Obviously 99 is preferable but might be useful to switch over if 97 is the best available and you're low - and you don't want the ECU to pull timing for your next tank of 99.

4 hours ago, bassett said:

Sounds more complicated than I first expected and I was already confused :D

Which maps are worth having increased throttle response on and how do you find it beneficial?

I wanted a valet and poor fuel mode so might see if these can be done as one map. Has anyone limited in gear revs ie 1st to no more than 4k rpm? 

You getting it done at Abbey? Mark does have a "typical" setup that works well. Valet and poor fuel both possible.

2 hours ago, maurice said:

Has anyone ever had a 97 RON map? Obviously 99 is preferable but might be useful to switch over if 97 is the best available and you're low - and you don't want the ECU to pull timing for your next tank of 99.

Just run the 95 map IMO. The difference in performance is going to be minimal. You could just up tune the 95 RON tune a little, easily done. FWIW I don't run a low octane mode on my SC car. The only time I considered it an issue was going abroad but the fuel there is pretty good. If you get 95, just don't go ragging it around and you'll be fine until the next fuel up. The car adjusts pretty quickly to different fuel (Google Vishnu reset).

Bit late to the party but auto blip is annoying as *%@$ IMO. Only tried it once for a laugh and it was gash, I also forgot to consider how it works when slowing down for village and ended up having it blip for me when I was going from 3rd to 4th lol. I manually rev match every shift so it's useless to me anyway, completely removed now. I have flat-foot shifting and launch control on 24/7 though because you have to go out of your way to trigger them, it's not like you can do either one by accident.

Thanks for opinions everyone, mark at abbey has now mapped the car which I mostly took his advice on 

98ron

98ron with flat foot shift and launch control

98ron with flat foot shift, launch control and downshift blip 

95ron and limited to 5k rpm all gears 

Mark didnt feel different throttle sensitivity would be beneficial on NA and I agree as all map options behave in the same way. All maps also have the loud cold start removed which im sure my neighbours approve of.

Was down there 8.30 till 12.30. There's some interesting cars to have a look at and watching some of the maping was interesting all be it noisy. They have a reception area with some jap magazines etc but after an hour or two you might want to pop to the oxted towm centre a 15min walk away, we stopped in Wetherspoons for some food right next to the morrisons supermarket