GT86Reece

Body Parts Advice / Recommendations

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum & fairly new to my Grey GT86 which I got in November. It's been 6 months now and I've started to get excited about upgrading / replacing certain parts and I was wondering if anyone could help with advice on best looking brands, or recommendations etc of what they went with and why?

Here's the list of what I'm hoping to replace / add:

Rear Diffuser (which stands out further from the rear bumper and has sharper fins either side of the reverse light)

Side Skirts

Front lip

New wheels (perhaps a bigger size to fill the wheel arch gap better?)

Lowering springs (again to fill the wheel arch gap better)

Exhaust System (currently looking at the Cobra Non-Resonated exhaust, but unsure whether to get just the cat back exhaust or the full system - has anyone had experience of both? I want it to be loud - but one thing I don't really like is the pops and bangs which some exhaust systems can have... I just want it to sound sweet, powerful and throaty).

Valenti lights (just ordered the smoked black / gold edition tail lights from fensport, didn't go with the fourth brake light because unsure on rear diffuser yet. I'm also unsure on whether to replace the headlights with matching Valenti's?)

Antenna (considering a shark fin, but there's lots of possibilities out there, I hear most people go with the BeatSonic but which one, and which website to get it from? Not too sure about this, some people like them and some others don't, depends on the style which suits the car best I guess - also possibly considering a roof spoiler but again unsure on this)

Hood (maybe, it'll take some time to get a new one due to the pricing of them! I like the ones with vents etc such as what Seibon offer, but maybe not a carbon fiber one? It would be great to get one either to match the 61K body colour, or an unpainted one to then have it sprayed perhaps - but again where would I get parts sprayed, does anyone have a recommendation just in case I end up buying unpainted parts from the above list?)

I'll look forward to everyone's replies!

Thanks all - Reece

New wheels (perhaps a bigger size to fill the wheel arch gap better?) You'll want your wheels to be about the same size regardless so it will just be a case of more rim less imost likely. Ive some sets i need to clean and list that you might be interested in haha

Lowering springs (again to fill the wheel arch gap better) Ive got some tein coilovers street flex i need to sell if youre interested id only want like 350 : P ignoring that max you want to lower it is 25mm just on springs and you shouldnt have too much problem with speedbumps or anything still at 25mm

Exhaust System (currently looking at the Cobra Non-Resonated exhaust, but unsure whether to get just the cat back exhaust or the full system - has anyone had experience of both? I want it to be loud - but one thing I don't really like is the pops and bangs which some exhaust systems can have... I just want it to sound sweet, powerful and throaty). I have a tomei type 80 and it sounded amazing when i had everything else stock and was literally just not too loud. Probably the most powerful and throaty exhaust but since ive removed both the cats and but larger piping in its far too loud : P best idea is to watch some youtube vids on exhausts i suppose or come to a meet and listen to some other peoples!

Valenti lights (just ordered the smoked black / gold edition tail lights from fensport, didn't go with the fourth brake light because unsure on rear diffuser yet. I'm also unsure on whether to replace the headlights with matching Valenti's?)  Ive got valentis all round apart from the headlights and im about to do the front fogs and indicators in smoked then i just need to pull the trigger on the headlights : ) The bottom brake light is a must and I dont think you will remove it so id recommend it as it looks alot better. Id say leave the headlights til last as for the money theres better things to do imo but its on my list!

Antenna (considering a shark fin, but there's lots of possibilities out there, I hear most people go with the BeatSonic but which one, and which website to get it from? Not too sure about this, some people like them and some others don't, depends on the style which suits the car best I guess - also possibly considering a roof spoiler but again unsure on this) Ive got the beatsonic blaid and i really like it other than that you can just get a shorty or a shark fin. 86 speed factory and american websites are probably your best bet

Hood (maybe, it'll take some time to get a new one due to the pricing of them! I like the ones with vents etc such as what Seibon offer, but maybe not a carbon fiber one? It would be great to get one either to match the 61K body colour, or an unpainted one to then have it sprayed perhaps - but again where would I get parts sprayed, does anyone have a recommendation just in case I end up buying unpainted parts from the above list?)

Getting a bonnet sprayed is going to cost 100's and its always lots cheaper to buy them ready painted if possible due to the price of hoods id only look to snag one second hand as theyre normally 1/3 of the price! but i buy everything second hand because im stingy : P

Welcome on board 😀

It may be worth giving a little more information on what you want to use the car for as this might affect the suggestions people make. For instance if you are looking to make this a track car you'd obviously have different requirements to if you were looking to just 'hardpark' your car at shows.

Another thing to consider is just how much peoples tastes differ - some people may suggest some mods but they wouldn't actually fit with your tastes. The other thing is it's sometimes difficult to know what you want for definite - for me wheels are a good example - I'm on my sixth set now and still not entirely sure on exactly what I want! 😂

Best thing to do is look around on some of the websites for stuff you might like. Correct me if I am wrong, but the people who have added side skirts etc seem to have the HT autos stuff; I think mainly because it looks ok and is cheap and easy to install. 

You can try looking through parts on japanparts.com and try some of the UK sellers fensport, amber, h-tune, tarmac sports etc for ideas. 

Another idea would be to attend some meets, japfest, social meets etc gives you some good ideas when seeing what others have done in person. 

@Deacon I think wheels are probably the hardest decision, so many variables; sizes, designs, colours etc; hence why I still can't decide what I want. 

When you've been out in my car @GT86Reece you'll love pop and bangs... lol :lol: These don't pop and bang unless you make them so that's not really anything to worry about.

With wheels it depends on what's important to you. Do you care about weight? Are you after a certain look? e.g. I wanted as concave a wheel face as I could realistically get so I went 18 x 9.5J which is pretty much as wide as people tend to go without modifying arches etc.

As I said on WhatsApp, the shark fin antenna is an OEM item now so Toyota may be able to supply one to you (although it would no doubt be more expensive than aftermarket options).

Oh and welcome to the forum :P

I have a resonated cobra cat back. It sounds perfect. It's subtle when you're cruising but as soon as you give the car a some it the exhaust comes to life and has a really nice Tone which is aggressive but not obnoxious. 

Mark from abbey motors advised me against the non resonated one as it is ridiculously loud and sounds rubbish compared to the resonated system. 

8 hours ago, Ztox said:

When you've been out in my car @GT86Reece you'll love pop and bangs... lol :lol: These don't pop and bang unless you make them so that's not really anything to worry about.

Mine popped and banged like hell before it was mapped! Still does :D

15 hours ago, TTR said:

Mine popped and banged like hell before it was mapped! Still does :D

Ah right, nice! Haven't heard many do it tbh.