remal

A little lower

I have fitted for the second year my works wheels with the standard tyres. But I still feel the car sits a little high. I don't want to smash it to the ground just make the area between the top of the tyre and arch not as large without damaging the handling or ride to much.

So I was thinking of possibly lowering her 10-15mm 

Any suggestions if this is a good idea. if it will damage the handling ?

And last question what springs people would recommend and where to buy from 

13100702_10153478570762414_8130304758612

It won't negatively effect the handling, in fact making the car lower can make it feel more planted and responsive. Generally speaking unless your budget is extremely tight springs are not the best way of doing things, for reasonable money you can buy a set of coilovers which will improve the overall ride, handling and give you more flexibility in terms of damping, ride height etc. In terms of how low to go, you could drop that down 20mm and it would probably look perfect.

10-15mm, within 1" lowering, you should be fine. I'd advise against dropping over inch, due 1) you need then many more suspension parts upgrade, eg. diff riser, roll center adjustment and so on, 2) bumpstop free shock travel (and car height itself) isn't very high even stock, so going for extreme drop you'll greatily compromise daily driving practicality.

You need stiffer springs or roll bars when you lower as you are moving the roll center away from the center of gravity whic in itsefl increase roll, so you need stiffer spring or roll bars to counteract. 

20-25mm max for best compromise on 6kg front and rear. 

I felt the same. I bought Bilstein B14 coilovers and had them installed at the highest setting. I recon its about 15-20mm lower. Handling is much better due to the quality of the dampers - less unsettled by bumps. Ride is probably firmer at low speed but I can live with that.

(Love the wheels btw)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Cerastes said:

Sorry, @Ade and @Church you're both saying you need to change other parts if you just get lowering springs? am I reading that right? Or do you mean beneficial to change/upgrade those parts? 

I decent lowering spring should be okay. RCE yellows are 4.5kg front and rear and are a handling option. If you go for soft teins the ride will remain okay most of the time but roll will increase

Hi, I have installed Litchfield's 'handling kit' which includes springs which are 25mm lower. Personally the cars sits really nicely with those on, the ride has become a tad firm but that was to be expected, as far as I know Litchfield do sell the springs on their own and I'm really happy with them so will have to recommend!  Although I'm sure anything that is 25mm shorter will look just as good!

DSC_0107.JPG

I've been in a friend's car with the Litchfield handling kit. The ride was awful, the ARB's were too stiff. I wouldn't recommend it. My friend changed his suspension shortly after for a Tein Advance setup with EDFC Active. After having a ride out in it, I couldn't understand what Litchfield was thinking, it seemed to just ruin it. No offence intended, if you're happy with it, that's cool. 

Ligtchfield told him that their kit was designed for 18" wheels not the lighter 17" wheels he had fitted. Yeah, right! 

Just now, Lauren said:

I've been in a friend's car with the Litchfield handling kit. The ride was awful, the ARB's were too stiff. I wouldn't recommend it.

I still have the stock ARBs, it's fine like that.

1 minute ago, PistonBroke said:

The ride is quite hard, I'm not going to defend that, however it is far from unbearable from my experiences...

I think it was more that my friend has a broken back from want of a better term, so ride is important for him. The problem with the ARB's was they limited traction out of corners it seems and the car didn't cope well with an undulating road which in this case was the 'Lauren Triangle' (A54/A537 Cat and Fiddle) which is a good test of handling with all it's bumps and crests. I think he was quite astonished by a ride in my car which prompted him to change. 

What i was saying, that you'll need extra parts if you'll consider going for even more drop then you initially mentioned (10-15mm), so i warned of that.

If you'll go for > 1", like some do, then one needs lot of extra stuff, not just slap coilovers and drop as low as possible. But you should be fine, as unlike many considering drop, you really are modest with by how much :).

8 hours ago, Cerastes said:

And you have the Tein A's @Lauren?

Well looks like I am getting the Eibach lowering springs second hand. But not sure if I should just get coilovers now

I have Tein Street Flex, the predecessor to the Flex A's with EDFC Active Pro. They do not have the hydro bump stops. I have custom spring rates and my rear dampers were shimmed up to increase damping by 20%. 

Every car I've been in with aftermarket springs on stock damprs has a noticably choppy ride, it's like the springs don't match the dampers, which is not that surprising I think. Coilovers are a better option. 

10 hours ago, Church said:

I'd get Zs or As right away .. if they had been of stock height and stock travel.

There must be an extremely limited market for people who want coilovers but to keep stock height. The car at stock height looks bloody ridiculous IMHO.

Extremely limited? Bad state public roads can be in big if not biggest part of world. Heck, i've seen even americans complain and post pothole ridden road pics from their big cities. You also never had to go over roadbump? Drive off steep driveway? Park over kerb? Go over deep snow/ice in unplown yard and hear ice scarping underside of bumper for 200m in row till getting to road? Car is rather low even stock. I don't want to change it's practicality/driveability from current 99% to 80%. I don't feel limited by stock center or gravity or amount of roll, even on track. But I know I WILL be limited by reduced ground clearance as to where/how i'll drive & park. When i waited (and long car queue behind me) for long time for opposite traffic to clear so that one "tuned"/lowered honda prelude before me could clear roadbump at angle, i understood that i'll NEVER want to lower any more then stock, which is marginally, but still acceptable for where/how i daily drive all year round, once i used to it's limits. If anything, i'd want even gain ground clearance vs stock, to enable gravel road rallying with less worry. Stock height looks bloody ridiculous? Not in my eyes :) To me rather people doing extreme drop/hellaflush/hellacamber look stupid, as they pay their own money to make car worse and undrivable for sake of arguable looks. Is this, what is not bloody ridiculous to you? I'm in opposite camp then :)

OK, what I said was:

"There must be an extremely limited market for people who want coilovers but to keep stock height."

I stand by that comment. Lowering is probably the main selling point of coilovers. 

What you consider important on your own car is your business. However, looking at the other cars in the club at events like Japfest the vast majority of owners seem to think that lowering the car is the best option.

6 minutes ago, Paul said:

What you consider important on your own car is your business. However, looking at the other cars in the club at events like Japfest the vast majority of owners seem to think that lowering the car is the best option.

That opinion is formed on the basis of part of the UK car scene, we're only a small part of the world. @Church is also not from the UK..... I don't quite know how you form the idea that the majority of the world likes something from 80 odd owners in the UK....

I do agree that the market for being "Slammed" outweigh those that would want rally style/OEM height suspension, but it does exist and the options are limited.

I think you're right that it is a limited market - but I'd be in it. I wanted better shocks, not lower suspension.

And you can do that... Nothing wrong with stock springs - fit a set of Bilstein B6s to go with them.

The only catch is that's barely any cheaper than a set of decent coilovers... Hence I did what I did. I mainly went for the Bilsteins as they don't lower much - less than the Teins.

I'm with Church... I know pretty much everyone who mods their car lowers it - but all you're doing is reducing suspension travel and for fast road use you want as much suspension travel as you can get...

That said - no regrets in going for a modest drop. There's no doubt it looks better...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk