CHOSENMAN007

Tein coilovers paired to edfc

Coilovers has been something on my mind for over a year now. I'm hearing such good things about the Teins fitted to toybarus that I will certainly be fitting a kit at some point. 

I do 99% road use what would be the best combination of coilovers to edfc. I'm pretty sure a few others are thinking the same thing.

I'm currently on koni dampers on eibach springs and I know and have been told this is the most comfortable set up for road. But the only drama is you can never be sure you have the right set up from front to rear as there is no click to measure the twist, so it's a guessing game.

I guessing the flex A will be the fast road choice due to it's bump stop. But what of the edfc choice. Is it worth getting the pro or will the active model be enough. How does the gps work and what adjustments does it make at slow or highway speeds? 

Input of owners would be of help also a test ride at the next meet please 😎

James.

My 86 came with Tein Streetflex with EDFC Active Pro and GPS kit, this means you can manually adjust things in car like normal EDFC, or set it to Active mode which monitors speed and G force and adjusts to suit, ive not really messed with the Active side of things so far (only had car a few weeks) and just used the manual settings, flicking between various settings depending what im doing. It seems pretty good and ive been playing around with front spring rates to try and get best balance for comfort and handling, still pretty firm even on soft settings for some of the truly awful roads we have here in Lake District mind.

Whereabouts are you located ?  I would be interested to see how the Koni setup rides on these cars as ive always used them on other cars with great success, would be good to meet up to compare on the off chance your in north of England.

Ian

2 hours ago, CHOSENMAN007 said:

What's the main difference between the active and pro kit?

Active Pro has independent 4 wheel adjustment and lateral G force adjustment. So it can vary the stiffness left to right as well as front to back. Active just does front to back. I think it's worth it as the cornering adjustment is one of the best features of EDFC - it reduces roll without needing to fit overly stiff ARBs.

Also, Active Pro has ECU speed input, so if you opt for Active you'll need the GPS kit.

There's a table at the bottom of this page with a comparison of the kits: http://www.tein.co.uk/product/edfc_active_pro.html

3 hours ago, Rich said:

Active Pro has independent 4 wheel adjustment and lateral G force adjustment. So it can vary the stiffness left to right as well as front to back. Active just does front to back. I think it's worth it as the cornering adjustment is one of the best features of EDFC - it reduces roll without needing to fit overly stiff ARBs.

Also, Active Pro has ECU speed input, so if you opt for Active you'll need the GPS kit.

There's a table at the bottom of this page with a comparison of the kits: http://www.tein.co.uk/product/edfc_active_pro.html

Thanks Rich. Looked at the Tein site and yes the pro version seems justify it's extra cost. 😀

Active Pro is the one to get with the GPS module for the speed. I've spent a lot of time programming mine and I think that most of those with it have used my settings as a starting point. The good thing is you can stiffer the outer dampers under load more than the inner ones and you can choose this difference according to G-Force. I have ten settings on mine, but I only use one setting for track where it starts off stiffer, but still uses the same increase as what I use on the road. I turn off the speed settings for track as it's already starting out a fair bit stiffer, so you need to factor in how much range you are going to work with. It makes the car very, very progressive on track and well, on the road too if you're so inclined. I've driven a number of other people's cars without the EDFC and none seem to be as progressive as mine, it just doesn't bite, ever. 

Go for the 6/6kg spring if you want it nicely balanced and 5/6kg if you want it to tend to a bit more oversteer. I run 5/6kg. 

I've had mine fitted since my car had done 25K, it's now on 96K miles and the EDFC with the stepper motors has been absolutely faultless. 

Have a chat with Yukiko at TEIN UK. :)

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

Active Pro is the one to get with the GPS module for the speed. I've spent a lot of time programming mine and I think that most of those with it have used my settings as a starting point. The good thing is you can stiffer the outer dampers under load more than the inner ones and you can choose this difference according to G-Force. I have ten settings on mine, but I only use one setting for track where it starts off stiffer, but still uses the same increase as what I use on the road. I turn off the speed settings for track as it's already starting out a fair bit stiffer, so you need to factor in how much range you are going to work with. It makes the car very, very progressive on track and well, on the road too if you're so inclined. I've driven a number of other people's cars without the EDFC and none seem to be as progressive as mine, it just doesn't bite, ever. 

Go for the 6/6kg spring if you want it nicely balanced and 5/6kg if you want it to tend to a bit more oversteer. I run 5/6kg. 

I've had mine fitted since my car had done 25K, it's now on 96K miles and the EDFC with the stepper motors has been absolutely faultless. 

Have a chat with Yukiko at TEIN UK. :)

Lauren how does one aquire your settings and is it not 5/5kg the tein standard? But 6/6kg sounds more my style of driving 😀

I think you will have to talk me through this stuff next time i meet you and go through the settings etc please.

6/6kg is what TEIN ship Flex A's with. I had a custom spring rate and increased the damping rate by 20% on the rears. Happy to talk you through it. You can have my settings, you just need to work out how to programme it, or I can do it for you, but I rarely attend meets in the south of course. 

If you just want for road use you can go for Tein Street Advance as they are 5kg front and back spring rate but are also rebuildable and can be revalved.

I have EDFC Active with the GPS unit Street Advance . It has functionality of the Pro but only front to back not on all four corners. I have a Brocken back so I need a good ride plus I use the car on track so l need to be able to adjust it to suit.

i would recommend downloading the EDFC manual and read through so you understand how it works and how to set it up to get the most out of it.

You will also need geometry setting up as coilovers will lower the car as there range can be 20 to 30mm plus so food for thought and what ever you go for will work. 

If you want to go for a spin I am Cheltenham 

17 hours ago, Lauren said:

6/6kg is what TEIN ship Flex A's with. I had a custom spring rate and increased the damping rate by 20% on the rears. Happy to talk you through it. You can have my settings, you just need to work out how to programme it, or I can do it for you, but I rarely attend meets in the south of course. 

Thanks mate but i like the idea of the hbs as the b roads i like to hit have a lot of broken tarmac and find myself having to change my line due to them. The hbs should allow me to just go right over. I think I'd go 6/6kg as I know Lauren has a lot of experience in cars and racing. 

Look forward to riding in a car with edfc 😎

2 hours ago, CHOSENMAN007 said:

Thanks mate but i like the idea of the hbs as the b roads i like to hit have a lot of broken tarmac and find myself have to change my line due to them. The hbs should allow me to just go right over.  

The HBS on the flex A's is not a true hydraulic bump stop as found on teins rally stuff for instance. It's basically a spring which softens off the bottoming out but doesn't stop it. I had the flex A's on for a year - they won't allow you to 'just go right over'. The dampers on the 86 are very short (especially the rear) which is what causes the main issue.

3 minutes ago, Deacon said:

The HBS on the flex A's is not a true hydraulic bump stop as found on teins rally stuff for instance. It's basically a spring which softens off the bottoming out but doesn't stop it. I had the flex A's on for a year - they won't allow you to 'just go right over'. The dampers on the 86 are very short (especially the rear) which is what causes the main issue.

Why did you swap them out mate?

14 minutes ago, CHOSENMAN007 said:

Why did you swap them out mate?

Had the opportunity of something better come along that I couldn't pass up so I'm on a set of Moton Clubsports now.

The flex A's are still my favourite road suspension - just don't expect miracles! 

Its a real shame your so far away as I really want to see how the Koni ride compares to my Teins, the roads around me as so bad i may yet have to remove the Tein setup and go Koni but I would like to ride in a car with it first to see how it compares, so if any other Koni equipped owners read this and are further north get in touch :)