Sign in to follow this  
Willtl

Which coolant?

Although my coolant is not at minimum, it is nowhere near maximum and I'd like to top it up. The manual says "Subaru super coolant" or similar high-quality blah blah blah. Ideally I'd like something I could buy over the counter in Halfords or elsewhere, what brand and type should I be using?

It is important to get the right type of coolant. If you mix different kinds of corrosion inhibitors, you can end up with them creating sludge in the pipes. For a small top up you can reasonably use water, ideally distilled, boiled or deionised, as you're only diluting the mix by a tiny fraction. Colour of the coolant is often indicative - i.e. don't mix different colours, but that's not a 100% guarantee.

Given the apparent trade secret that is subaru magic wonder coolant, I'd just bung a drop of distilled water in to bring the level up. I'd avoid tap water, given East Anglian water is chock full of limescale.

I'd get the proper stuff but from Subaru not Toyota. It's something silly like £15 for a litre from Toyota or £25 for 5 litres from Subaru. Useful if there's a few near you who want to share it.

Where roughly in Essex are you Will? I've got loads of the stuff as I bought 5 litres from Subaru, if you're anywhere near Witham you're welcome to some for a top up...

If it's halfway when it's cold, it's fine. I've left mine like that for the last 95K miles. It gets to the full mark when hot. It's fine. I would only use the correct coolant given it's got such a long life. Think it's 140K miles IIRC before it's due a change. 

When I had the blue stuff I topped up with this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Toyota-GT-86-Super-Long-Life-Blue-Coolant-Pre-Mixed-1-Litre-/321693310643

FWIW when replacing the coolant you dont have to use subaru special blue. My local subaru dealer only buys it in 10 gallon drums so couldn't sell me any at a reasonable price. (think I got quaoted £60+ for 6 litres).

The coolant needs OAT and low in phosphates, borates, nitrates, amines and silicate free.

I think and manual says something along the lines of "use only Subaru blue long like coolant or any other low phosphate coolant using Organic Acid Technology and free from borates, nitrates, amines and silicates."

I use Millers Alpine Red Long Life.

4 hours ago, Ztox said:

Where roughly in Essex are you Will? I've got loads of the stuff as I bought 5 litres from Subaru, if you're anywhere near Witham you're welcome to some for a top up...

Thanks. I live in Grays. Have a sister-in-law in Braintree but my wife and her don't talk anymore so that is one visit we no longer make. I would feel terribly stingy driving up to see you for a free sip of coolant!

1 minute ago, Willtl said:

I would terribly stingy driving up to see you for a free sip of coolant!

I'm trying my best but I can't decide whether this is a yes to the free coolant or a no :lol: I'm getting negative vibes from that sentence but you started by saying thanks for I'm not sure.

You're honestly welcome to some though if you'd like. Hell, if the weather is decent and you don't want to come all the way I could probably meet you half way or something