八六車

Track day prep (tools)

Hello all, looking at doing my first track day this year and was wondering what (if any) tools people take with them for the just in case events. Comments from "nothing I just turn up" through "cable ties and strong tape" up to "spare can full of complete garage, jacks and ramps and personal mechanic etc". Also wondering what people do with the tools if they take them while they are out on track? Many thanks

Hi, I've been doing track days for 17 years now, so I can hopefully help!

You don't need to take lots of stuff unless you have a particularly unreliable car, so there is that. A GT86 takes use well, and it's not an old car, so I wouldn't expect problems. Get a tyre pressure gauge and insure that you have a pump. Electric is easier. I just use the Toyota one and then check the pressures afterwards. Do this when the tyres are cold though. 

Make sure you have your wheelbrace, locking nuts. If you're not changing wheels over though don't worry about a jack. If you really need one you can always borrow someone elses. 

For helmet bags and tools, I just either leave them in a friend's car who isn't on track or put them in the pit garage. I've yet to have anything stolen. 

I'm on track this Friday at Oulton. I'm just taking my helmet bag and dancing shoes, no tools as such beyond what I normally carry in the car. 

Something that is useful, if you expect to do a lot of track miles is a 20litre jerry can, which I will take with me to give me a tank and a half of fuel. Saves a trip out to the petrol station halfway through the day. 

Points mentioned in this thread may help. As it was decision of moment and my prior track skills/experience were completely absent, my first track day prep included full tank of fuel only :). As i drove rather slow w/o pushing much & limited to short 10-15m sessions (mentioned in forums as approximate heat capacity/session length for tracking with stock brakes), was good enough. Side gain of short sessions - you are not getting very tired with regular rest in between them, so doing less mistakes from mental & physical fatique.

After few times added to that new brake pads & tires to replace worn ones & better brake fluid.

By now i have also better for my taste dialed in alignment with bolts & rear LCA. But in general imho no mods should be done after at least few track days out there, to first get taste if and what you wish to improve, not blindly following others & modding heck out of it. For track driving just for fun and not going overboard with long sessions that would need eg. substantial brake upgrades, stock car is suprisingly capable. Thinking of adding brake cooling airducts on top, and that's about it. If you don't go for very serious upgrades, such as much grippier tires & forced induction, and if it's not for very competitive driving, one doesn't need much expensive upgrades to eg. suspension to get around. But IF, then yes. FI = higher speeds / more braking load to bleed off higher speeds. Grippy tires = more side-Gs, more roll, riding on bumpstops in lot of curves, worth stiffening up suspension (bushings/topmounts/coilovers (springs)).

My "non car prep" or tooling brought along includes just thermos with coffee & something to check air pressure in tires. Jack and alike i can always borrow from others. Hmm, extra fuel in can might be handy, but not sure. When i'm through full tank, i may have already driven & tired enough, to not need much more. Good driving shues certainly nice thing to have (i use normal shoes for track, instead of sandals i wear daily most of summer. Who knows, maybe worth buying those sport driving shoes. Certainly sandals or stiff army boots are not the best for pedalwork :) ). Helmet? Only if required by track rules. Still haven't used much to visibility & comfort reducing from it. And i wish for roof to be a bit higher, if wearing helmet & still wanting best seating pose given limited steering wheel adjustability :(.

At the end - to each his own. Everybody has different way of driving/different plans on track. One thing is something for fun & at limited budget & not compromising daily driven ride, another - taking it seriously & competitively. So are different track-prep ways for everybody, no wonder that responses will differ.

Fair point - tracks are often windy exposed places, so you can get pretty cold in spring, especially if you like hanging out at the pit wall.

You can do most good by giving your car a healthcheck before going - tyre condition, no cracks etc., brake pad material reasonable, nuts done up to correct torque etc. My first trackday got red-flagged for ages after a 350Z lost a wheel, and I've seen someone who liked long stints burn through his pads to the metal too... These could probably have been avoided with pre-flight checks.

Only things I've used on a track day: tyre pressure gauge and pump, gaffer tape.

I like to carry a few things like a spare set of brake pads, but that's definitely not essential.

Pretty much what @Lauren said but a few tools off the top of my head. 

Its a bit overkill, but I have got a Stanley tool box put most of it in so it doesn't take up much space. 

Spanners: 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm

Sockets: 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, 19mm

Racket with a few different size extensions (torque wrench if you have one for checking wheel nuts)

Pack of zip ties

Various diameter hose clamps

Contact cleaner 

Copper Grease

WD40 (or other water displacer)

Brake fluid, bleeder hose and and empty pot to put old fluid in

Some nitrile gloves to keep hands clean

Long nose pliers

Wire cutters - heavy duty type

Assorted screwdrivers 

Engine Oil

Duct Tape

Hammer

A few different size nuts and bolts (I started taking this after Kevin lost a bolt in his exhaust at Blyton) M4, M5, M6 and M8 is a good start.

Good nights sleep the day before.

Make sure to eat properly as its so easy to just run of the Adrenaline for the entire day and feel exhausted on the way home which might result in problems.

Ade: i've got a feeling that you take all that listed set of tools by habbit from past according experiences with cars back then :) or that you take racing very seriously and push that much that things will and do break frequent enough :)

5 hours ago, alucardo said:

Good nights sleep the day before.

Make sure to eat properly as its so easy to just run of the Adrenaline for the entire day and feel exhausted on the way home which might result in problems.

That's a good tip. I normally take a four pack of Lucozade Sport to ensure that I am well hydrated as the concentration can take it out of you. 

I always have my Halfords Pro Toolbox in the boot along with an electric pump and tyre pressure gauge so naturally they go with me to the track.  Not only that but within the boot is the usual standard Jack, Toe Hook (important for track) etc.  If there are no garages or spare cars to store your things with, a pop-up tent is very useful thing to bring as it'll keep your things dry if it rains.

Obviously remove any loose items from the car, dash cams must be securely fixed (suction mounts aren't secure enough, they'd need a cable tie around them and attached to the rear view mirror or something), cover up your body (i.e. long sleeves, long trousers etc.), suitable footwear and obviously helmet if you have one.

Other bits and bobs are a bonus but you may find other people will rock up with bits and bobs and people are usually nice to enough to help others out where need be!