Cerastes

My car has had a remap?

Another surprise extra on my car :)

It appears to have a remap already done? 

I was reading a forum post on here the other day and thought I must try that out one day. So I pulled the cruise control stalk towards me when I got home and was then able to move it up and down to 4 different positions. I assume that means it has had it done? as that is not original stock?

I just need a quiet empty road to try them out. I can only assume they are set to the 4 defaults?

Copied from Fensport

"Map 1: The default map when you switch your car on is our "Full Performance Road" map, for use with 97+ ron fuel, ie: Super Unleaded. 7,650rpm rev limit. This map is also configured for economy on cruise. 

Map 2: Is also "Full Performance" and adds Launch Control and Full throttle gearchange. 7,650rpm rev limit. 

Map 3: Also "Full Performance" and adds Launch Control and Full throttle gearchange and Auto Blip on downchange. 7,650rpm rev limit. 

Map 4: 95 Ron map, can be used with normal unleaded fuel when super unleaded is unavailable. Rpm limit is reduced to standard 7,400rpm. Note: this map produces lower power than map 1,2 or 3. (This map can be configured to customer spec)"

If I was to visit another trader, they would be able to remap to something I want? or check everything is ok. I can't say it feels different to the stock aero I test drove at a dealer, but then that was a few months back. Or it probably won't improve much on the BHP if everything else is stock I assume. 

Awesome, thanks :P This car has turned out to be an absolute bargain. Totally worth the flight up to Scotland. I will be getting another remap done when I get my manifold fitted. 

Maybe I shouldn't have fiddled with it, I selected map 3, but obviously no idea what that would be. 

Sorry another question, if I was to start my car again would it stay on map 3 or go back to a default map. Or any way I can get it to go back to what it was on before? as map 3 could have been anything :ph34r: (maybe it has NOS that I don't know about too... yea right :lol:)

That depends on whuch software version it was remapped with, earlier versions of ECUTEK always defaulted back to Map 1 when the ignition is cycled, but later versions retain the setting at key off. Its easy enough to check by pulling the cruise control stalk and seeing where the rev counter needle goes to.

Anyone with an ECUTEK cable should be able to plug-in and see what settings are on/off in the different maps, but comparing fueling, ignition and cam timing etc will take some time unless they've got the tuner version which has a compare tool.

1 hour ago, Cerastes said:

Awesome, thanks :P This car has turned out to be an absolute bargain. Totally worth the flight up to Scotland. I will be getting another remap done when I get my manifold fitted. 

Maybe I shouldn't have fiddled with it, I selected map 3, but obviously no idea what that would be. 

Sorry another question, if I was to start my car again would it stay on map 3 or go back to a default map. Or any way I can get it to go back to what it was on before? as map 3 could have been anything :ph34r: (maybe it has NOS that I don't know about too... yea right :lol:)

How are you selecting the map? I thought you chose the particular map you want when the car is mapped and that's what you have (always). I didn't know you could alter the map from the driver's seat so to speak.

Bob

@GT86Bob With the cruise control stick, I am able to select 4 (I can only assume different) maps.

As highlighted in my first post. Although I don't know which tuner had done it and what it has done to it; so no idea what I'm selecting when picking the maps.

The dealer obviously didn't know it had been done or they would have told me so no good asking them. 

Edit: I should point out, I don't think they are completely different. I think they are just added features. Someone can probably correct me if I am wrong on that as I am fairly new to it on the GT86. 

Thanks DanJ. Well mine was on 1 when I originally pulled it towards me. 

Funnily enough I was looking at the Ecutek kits today, but they were like £500 

You can rent the cables rather than buy them outright, but there's plenty of friendly peeps who have them as well.

That's good news, but a bit of a pain that you don't know which one is which! 

There are some additional features but they are fairly useless. 

There's launch control - never worked that one out 

Auto throttle blip, which blips the throttle on downchanges, principally for people who can't drive (i.e., heel and toe). Opted not to have that one turned on. 

Flat shifting- so you can keep your foot planted on upshifts. Again, no real use either. 

The auto blip is the easiest one to test as you'll notice it on downchanges if you don't heel and toe. 

But it's the map of course that's important and the point of doing it. Really the best thing to do is to go and get it read by a tuner then you can see who's done it and hopefully work out what is what. 

Would be worth getting it updated so that it stays on whatever map you select. 

Whereabouts are you? 

3 hours ago, DanJ said:

Anyone with an ECUTEK cable should be able to plug-in and see what settings are on/off in the different maps, but comparing fueling, ignition and cam timing etc will take some time unless they've got the tuner version which has a compare tool.

You can't see what map is on the car or pull the ROM off the ECU. Best bet is to email the obvious tuners the reg or ask the seller who tuned it.

6 hours ago, Cerastes said:

No point asking the dealer, they had no idea it had it.

Heading to fensport in a couple months anyway so will just get them to update it. 

If you phone Dan at Fensport and tell him the reg. no. he'd probably be able to tell you more . . 4 maps certainly sounds like a Fensport regular.

Spec K

Though four maps is what you'll get no matter where you go. Fensport is your best first port of call. Look at the V5 and see where in the country the car was previously. Fensport (Fens/Cambridgeshire) have probably done the most remaps, though Tuning Developments in Warrington are fast catching up. Then there is Mark at Abbey of course (SE) who has also done a load. It's extremely likely it will be one of those three so not too hard to find out. 

Yea mine has four maps (Abbey) but I never change it so I needn't bother having options lol.

Only really use one of the raceROM features and that's the flat shifting, partly because it sounds awesome. Never touched the auto blip as I like rev matching every downshift myself.

Thanks, I will just wait until my remap with fensport in a couple months. I will let Dan know it has already had it so won't need the license :D

FYI - the car was bought in Scotland so would that have been TD? Would have been a long way to go for a remap though. Anyway, not important; I will be getting the fensport map to go with the new manifold. Can't wait!!!

I switch maps relatively frequently, I love having pops and bangs on but it burns fuel and is a bit antisocial first thing in the morning, so I tend to toggle it on and off depending. Never used the 95 map or the "full power no toys" map though.

6 hours ago, knightryder said:

Or any other tuner....

I know Fensport have done quite a lot of remote maps. The other tuners use rolling roads so less likely. Obviously a remote map is less than ideal.