Sign in to follow this  
Neal

Coilovers and settings

Hi all.

I'm sure this has all been said before but coilovers.  

1 what are people running?

2 what settings are you using?

3 does anyone run H&R mono tube ?

I recently won a set of H&R coilovers worth  £970 plus fitting from demon Tweeks so I'm not going to complain.

I'm a big fan of Tein suspension having run there kits on all my mx5s (shhh I know that's like blaspheme ) and they have always been brilliant.  As such I was expecting similar results from H&R especially as they are affiliated to Bilstein.

DT kindly fitted everything for free a week ago at H&R specs but the ride is unbelievably harsh and extremely low.  Although I do like the look I have to be able to get over speed bumps to get to work.

I'm toying with the settings most evenings but can't find something sporty yet isn't going to give me scoliosis.

All opinions welcome especially if you are also running H&R kit or suffering spinal compression.

On the plus side side I've noted where the recommended HR settings are ready for track use as it will desimate all challengers through a corner lol

how low is it? show us a pic!

I had miesters on my MX5 NC, and they were always set high on the damping setting get the ride on the road was acceptable, compared to my 86 on HKS which I can only describe in comparison as bone shattering. Go over a sunken drain cover you are left wondering if the wheel is still attached.

I think you have been spoiled unfortunately by the double wishbone setup on the mx5s.

1. Tein Flex A (6/6 spring rate) + EDFC

2. I have them set to 56 (out of 64) base and then firmer with speed and Gs, usually about 20-40 in actual driving. For track I have them firmer, 32 base and then firmer with Gs.

Mine are a 20 mm drop from stock and clear almost all speed humps.

Any idea what the spring rates on your are?

I presume you have this set then?

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/coilover-suspension-kits/car/toyota/gt86/2012/2-0/hr-coilover-suspension-kit-monotube-lowers-front-20-40mm-and-lowers-rear-15-30mm

As rich said how low it is? these adjust height with the spring perch so as you go lower you trade bump for droop travel. 

These arnt spec'd to lower the car much at all. 30mm max which is not that noticeable. 

If they have been set too low you could be hitting the bumpstops easily which is what would cause a very firm ride. In that case i'd raise the car up a good 20mm.

1. Currently on Moton Clubsports 7/8kg springs but I've also had stock, stock dampers plus Ast lowering springs, Meister R GT1's, Meister R Zeta R's and Tein Flex A's

I'd agree with @Ade - I looked at the H&R's but the max lowering of 30mm put me off (at the time). If your car is now really low they may have been set up wrong (my flex a's were set 60mm down when I collected them as the garage hadn't read the instructions where it said they were already lowered 25mm and had then lowered them the agreed 35mm on top - maybe something similar here?) 

I think you are likely the only person in the UK with that suspension setup. 

Do you know what the spring rates are? 

I'd say just run them at full soft and see what they are like then. But as others have said, check the ride height from the wheel centre to the wheel arch.