Apex

Ben's BRZ

Hey there, thought I'd pop up a blog / thread rather than carry on in my intro post. A bit of this is being copied over from another forum that I posted it on so apologies in advance if it doesn't look like it's entirely worded for here.

I was offered a 2012 Subaru BRZ by a friend who I've also had a couple cars off in the past for a price I simply couldn't refuse considering the mods it has. Wasn't even looking for a new car and wasn't bored of the Civic FN2 and had a few big mods planned for that. It's also cheaper, fully-declared, to insure than my Civic Type R so will be getting a few hundred refund from that. An assured value policy is on the cards come renewal though.

This is my first RWD car so I will be taking it very carefully... initially.

Current specs, may have missed a few bits.

* Engine & Drivetrain *

HKS V2 Supercharger Kit - 280bhp
HKS 2.1 Stroker Kit
Accusump Oil System
Reimax Oil Pump
Abbey Oil Cooler
HKS Oil Filter
Sump Baffled
HKS Head Gaskets
ECU Oil Pressure Monitoring Kit
RacerX Baffled Oil Pan
Abbey Oil Catch Can
STI Shortshift Kit
Defi Gauges & Controller
Full miltek Exhaust System

* Brakes & Wheels *
Rays CE28n Alloy Wheels
AP Racing Front Brake Kit
Hawk HPS Brake Pads & Upgraded Brake Lines

* Suspension *
Bilstein B16 Coilovers
Whiteline 16mm Rear Roll Bar
Whiteline Front Lower Arm Bush Kit
Whiteline Front Control Arm Caster Bush Kit
Whiteline Front Camber Adjuster Bolts
Whiteline Front Roll Bar Drop Links
Abbey S-Wave Rear Suspension Lower Arms
STI Brace bar

History

A few of you may have already seen this one as LFA / Ed from here previously owned it. His blog: http://www.gt86.org.uk/forums/topic/961-lfas-blog/

After a bit of background research I found out that it was the first BRZ to be delivered in the UK and it's featured on Subarus website.

The majority of the engine work was done in November 2015 after engine failure (can't recall exactly what, it's in the paperwork somewhere) by Abbey Motorsport.

Also interested in the TSS so will need to do a bit of reading up on that!

Initial Pictures

eda0cdbf7e.jpg

First stand appearance.. On the day of collection
aeee182b56.jpg

a5bb777d79.jpg

Looks like a good car you have there. I would have bought it ;). What kind of oil pressure are you seeing when its cutting in and out.

Regarding the accusump, by the time you get a chance to lift the bonnet it will have topped itself back up with oil from the sump.

Ah right, I don't know much about the Accusump, haven't had much time to read up or read the paperwork that came with the car fully. Am I right then in thinking that if it does indeed detect low engine oil pressure (or level?) then it will release oil into it? Or is there more to it than that.

On 9/26/2016 at 5:07 PM, Tom B said:

Looks a great spec car! May come and have a look at it when your up at the Three sisters! B)

Feel free, would be good to start meeting some fellow owners:)

Welcome aboard, LFA's old car. I saw it out at the track a couple of times when Ed had it. For checking the oil pressure, think you have to check it after running and let it sit for five minutes. 

Thanks, okay, tonight on the way home I gave it a quick blast again through the higher gears, and typical! It was fine, no judder, smooth acceleration throughout 3/4/5.

Water and Oil were 90'c consistently 
Oil Pressure (kpa) did indeed change according to the revs, I must've been tired last night.. 
Around 3000rpm was 65psi (ish)
Around 6000rpm was 87psi (ish)
Didn't really exceed 87psi other than when it's just been started/cold where it's at 110psi.

I say ish because the gauge is in kPa so I'm converting to psi.

Do these sound about right?

AccuSump gauge is at 50 PSI currently. Will check tomorrow morning before and after driving to see if there's much change.
Oil pressure was looking normal, rising and falling with revs.
Water temperature was hovering between 90 and 97 throughout journey.

This morning I set about finding the rattle under the gear-shifter and have implemented a temporary fix. Wouldn't be a race car without a couple zip-ties somewhere now would it :P  So the black bit at the back of the assembly is missing two bolts I believe, as I can feel bolt holes on the chassis and on the black bit connected to the bottom of the gear-shifter assembly. Unfortunately I haven't got my axle stands or jack at home so will need to take it to a friends garage to get it on the ramp to get a couple of bolts in there.

0950e49909.jpg

8bceb19329.jpg