Sign in to follow this  
GT86Bob

Is this car good value?

Hi All, I haven't got a GT86 yet but am actively looking for one. I am interested in this car - http://tinyurl.com/zvndmww - a 2015 manual Giallo with leather seats and 19000 miles. All standard and with 18 inch wheels. Does anyone know this car? Does £19,400 sound OK? It's really come up a little too soon for me - ideally I wanted to get one mid November. Should I grab this now and SORN it till mid November or wait for another Giallo? Any advice much appreciated.

Also, while I'm on I see there are two main GT86 forums - this one and the one at http://www.gt86ownersclub.co.uk/. You all obviously think this is the best one but what's the deal? Friendly rivalry? A breakaway thing? Confused.

Cheers
Bob.

Blogging at http://www.beambreaking.wordpress.com 

The deal with the two clubs is simple. Four of us approached the other forum and suggested that they turn it into a not for profit club so we could fund events for the members. This was declined as the other site makes money from advertising with the then owner not having any particular interest in the cars and running numerous forums, solely for that reason. So we decided to setup a not for profit club so we could support events through revenue generated by traders and membership. The other forum banned the four directors of this club when we registered the company. 

This is why we have far more events because we are able to use the club to pay and book events etc. None of us have any issue with the OC, rather their issue is with us. 

As for the Giallo, it's a limited run of 86 cars, so they don't come up that often, but more will do so as the car ages of course. It does seem a high price mind. But if you love the yellow, then it could be for you. 

Hi Bob, welcome to the club. I think 19,400 is on the pricey side. I'd prefer to see it in the 18's myself. I think as Lauren said if you like the yellow and the exclusivity of it then go ahead with it. I think you can look at the current market and haggle with this one a bit to get the price down.

Well I looked at quite a few cars and kept coming back to this one. Negotiated a good deal this afternoon and pick it up Thursday night. Can't wait! It's to replace a highly developed Elise. It won't be as quick but I'll be using it as a daily driver, taking it over to the continent and hillclimbing and sprinting it next year in the HSA Championship, so it will be far more practical and undoubtedly more reliable. Looking forward to meeting some of you guys and girls at meets and track days. Cheers, Bob.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good stuff, Bob. Mine has done three years worth of the Toyota Sprint Series, been round Alps both clockwise and anti-clockwise and also been out to the old 'east' of Germany! 90K miles and it's been utterly reliable. 

I'm guessing given you will be competing in it, a few upgrades will be happening? 

6 minutes ago, maurice said:

That Giallo doesn't have 18 inch wheels, it's a mistake on the Toyota website. (Most think 17's are better on this car anyway)

It's a mistake that seems to proliferate in many for sale ads for some reason. But yes, well spotted, stock 17x7's on that. As are all Giallos.

Good stuff, Bob. Mine has done three years worth of the Toyota Sprint Series, been round Alps both clockwise and anti-clockwise and also been out to the old 'east' of Germany! 90K miles and it's been utterly reliable. 

I'm guessing given you will be competing in it, a few upgrades will be happening? 

Good to hear :-)

Not sure about upgrades. The MSA are introducing a new roadgoing class next year for series production cars in completely standard trim. If I get the impression there'll be a few others in this class, I might give that a go. Otherwise, I'll be looking at mods to get on terms (or close to) S2000s, Elises and the usual hot hatches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Giallo seems a little on the expensive side to me, but then again its worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. With regards to the forums I use both, like most cars there is more than one forum, its always a good thing to be involved in both I think. You'll like the 86, I had a VX220 before hand (as you are aware very similar to an Elise) and find the whole experience with this car more enjoyable, you get the great driving experience without the harshness and impracticality, although there is no hiding the fact its quite a bit slower.

On 25 September 2016 at 7:06 PM, maurice said:

That Giallo doesn't have 18 inch wheels, it's a mistake on the Toyota website. (Most think 17's are better on this car anyway)

Interesting. Why might 17s be better? 

21 hours ago, GT86Bob said:

Interesting. Why might 17s be better? 

Simply because they are lighter. Less metal in a smaller diameter wheel. The stock wheels are heavy though at 9.2kg. I also think a 7" wide rim is not optimal with the 215 tyre. But if you want lightweight wheels you need to look at forged wheels ideally and they are not cheap of course. I run a lightweight forged wheel 17x8 on stock tyre sizes, but not stock tyres which weigh in at 7.4kg. It makes quite a difference everywhere.