Nicebiscuit

Guilty pleasures. What would you give up your GT86 for?

2 minutes ago, Nicebiscuit said:

...so why didn't you just buy one? ;-)

It was in the spirit of the guilty pleasures idea not something I'd actually genuinely own (unless maybe as a daily).

It comes about from doing a few of the VXR track events they put on each year (excellent value - you really are encouraged to give the cars a good workout) and being very impressed with the way the Corsa drove on track.

You're right on the fiesta too and I'm sure if I'd driven it on track like the Corsa it could also be added to my guilty pleasure list (although I wouldn't feel quite as guilty for liking the ST as I do / would the VXR).

32 minutes ago, Bfranklyn86 said:

BMW 440i for me. Slightly understated but still good looking and fast. Doubt it would be very trackable though.

The M235i was great fun on a very wet Goodwood. Comparable size to the 86, just far more punch.

1 hour ago, knightryder said:

The M235i was great fun on a very wet Goodwood. Comparable size to the 86, just far more punch.

1.5 tons though...... I remember chris from dedication blog saying in his video that he thought the M4 felt quite heavy for track when compared to his 86 or R8. 

I wonder how much power you'd need from the FA20 to get to get the 86 to feel like its got as much punch as an m235i.

10 minutes ago, Bfranklyn86 said:

1.5 tons though...... I remember chris from dedication blog saying in his video that he thought the M4 felt quite heavy for track when compared to his 86 or R8. 

I wonder how much power you'd need from the FA20 to get to get the 86 to feel like its got as much punch as an m235i.

"Feel" is all about torque. A twin turbo straight six will quite likely feel more punchy than a 2 litre 4 cylinder in 99% of cases. The M235i has 330lb/ft from stock. You're talking built engine and 10+psi of boost for that sort of torque from an FA20.

In terms of getting a GT86 up to that level of performance, I would wager a simple stage 1 turbo running 280-300bhp would be around the same sorta region, but would still be down almost 100lb/ft on torque.

Wheel torque is what you feel, so gearing comes into it. Also its more about torque curve. Those engines have more torque low down than up the top which makes them feel more pokey. Its one of the reason people thing the GT86 is under-powered compared to an eco boost fiesta ST.

On paper they are 321ps and weigh 1.5 tons so 214hp/ton.

A turbo gt86 is the same as that, but the BMWs are under rated for power and also torque curve as mentioned above. 

Wheel torque is what you feel, so gearing comes into it. Also its more about torque curve. Those engines have more torque low down than up the top which makes them feel more pokey. Its one of the reason people thing the GT86 is under-powered compared to an eco boost fiesta ST.

On paper they are 321ps and weigh 1.5 tons so 214hp/ton.

A turbo gt86 is the same as that, but the BMWs are under rated for power and also torque curve as mentioned above. 

Absolutely. Whilst it's great fun as a driver, for punchiness my 86 feels completely gutless compared to my old Saab 9-5 Aero. That had 285 bhp but given it was a great lardy lump of metal they should be close. But the Saab had great gobs of torque from 2.5k upwards. Nothing but nothing I've owned could hold a candle to that for overtaking...

Even my 120d coupe was punchier in an overtake than the GT86 and that gives away 20 bhp and 200kg...

Having tried TDs Turbo 86 - that certainly does the trick. It is not slow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt even the TD turbo kit has a great wedge of torque low down, as it'll bend the rods. Looknig at their dyno plot, torques steadily rises till about 4000rpm where it stay relatively flat. 

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll83/tuningdevelopments/TD86 Turbo Comparison_zps5lsxekma.jpg~original

compare that to the 235i which peaks at 3700rpm and is putting out significantly more TQ at 3k-5k that it is at the red line of 6800rpms.

BMW+M235i+Dyno.jpg

4 hours ago, Bfranklyn86 said:

BMW 440i for me. Slightly understated but still good looking and fast. Doubt it would be very trackable though.

Went with a close friend last weekend to order a fully specd up 440i Gran Coupe. pretty sure my next car will be a M140i now. 

I'd be looking at a LCI M240i.I understand that the newer engine has a different power delivery but I was shocked at how much the 235 kept shoving at the top of the rev band. I wansnt expecting that and its whats made me consider it. It would also need no mods, making It easy running without worry and a comfier cruiser than the 86 too.

I'd be looking at a LCI M240i.I understand that the newer engine has a different power delivery but I was shocked at how much the 235 kept shoving at the top of the rev band. I wansnt expecting that and its whats made me consider it. It would also need no mods, making It easy running without worry and a comfier cruiser than the 86 too.

I loved my 1 series coupe. Great car, beautifully made and lovely to own but it never put a smile on my face like the 86 does...

My work car is latest BMW 120d sport Xdrive with 295lb torque & 190bhp twin turbo matched to 8 speed auto. I can split drive 50/50, 60/40 or 80/20. As a point to point car it's amazingly fast especially in sport and sport + but it does not give you the same feeling as the 86.

1 hour ago, MikeB said:

My work car is latest BMW 120d sport Xdrive with 295lb torque & 190bhp twin turbo matched to 8 speed auto. I can split drive 50/50, 60/40 or 80/20. As a point to point car it's amazingly fast especially in sport and sport + but it does not give you the same feeling as the 86.

B47 engine isn't twin turbo, its what BMW call twin power which is a single turbo with variable vanes. 

On 09/11/2016 at 9:54 PM, Nicebiscuit said:

Well yes - very nice. But you could perhaps use a slightly larger parking space ;-)

Kudos for the 86 being your 'sensible' car though :-D.

Reminds me of the lady I saw on a forum with a Lotus Elise. She got pregnant. Sell the car? Noooo. She just found a pushchair small enough to cram into the luggage bay. Respect emoji41.png

Normally not all 3 are out at the same time. had to move the 4x4 to the front just to get the bike and tiger out. Which I was cleaning and again why they had both been out 

FIAT 124 Spider. Drove one last week on roads I know really well loved it.

I drove the Abarth version today. Sounded great, nice inside but suffered from considerable scuttle shake with the roof down. Not apparent on more softly sprung standard car.

Now that our GT86 has over 10k miles on it, it would run rings around either!

FIAT 124 Spider. Drove one last week on roads I know really well loved it.

I drove the Abarth version today. Sounded great, nice inside but suffered from considerable scuttle shake with the roof down. Not apparent on more softly sprung standard car.

Now that our GT86 has over 10k miles on it, it would run rings around either!

Have they ruined it with stupidly stiff springs like they did the 500? No idea why they do that on road cars... I thought the wing mirrors were going to fall off every time I ran over a manhole cover...

Even Audi have belatedly realised that stupidly stiff suspension and rubber band tyres doesn't actually make a car drive better...

Changed my mind. An Alpha 4C spider is what I'd love to have after the 86. Not in the same price range admittedly, but light, low riding and great looking.

anyone driven one?

A what 4c???

They get poor reviews in general but I have several friends with both versions who love them.

I was going to order one at the launch despite the £12k blind deposit.

I didn't because I couldn't get out unaided due to a knackered back.

Also, we tour mainland Europe in our cars so the washbag sized boot would rule that out!