long-gone

Grover's ginger jap

10 hours ago, Bfranklyn86 said:

I was thinking of the sump with track safety in mind. But it just gets me worried seeing NA engines go like this. Want to take all precautions, if you see what I mean.

I would also assume oil surge is something that is quite hard to prove or disapprove, unless there is another smoking gun.

I've done three years worth of sprinting in mine and a number of track days. I've done 93K  miles. My car doesn't use any oil that I can notice. Engine is still strong, no issues either. 

In terms of the rev limit, Adrian did certainly increase them a few hundred rpm on a remap. Whether or not he offers that as an option or does it to all of them, though, I don't know. I remember talking to him about remaps and he did say that he increases it and I have seen an increased rev limit in cars he has remapped. 

7 hours ago, maurice said:

Ironically if you fitted a baffled sump or oil cooler for track safety you've more chance of warranty problems in the case of a blow up as you've modified your engine. You can't win!

The general consensus is that you don't need a baffled sump, particularly with them actually causing a problem due to poor design which is just shocking really. 

Did Grover ever track his car anyway though? 

Nope. 

When I ran two cars I would take my 'fun' car to airfield and track days,  but as this is my only form of transport I've never taken it on track. It's been driven 'normally' it's whole life, very rarely to the red line and I can think of only a couple of occasions when it's hit the limiter. My days of thrashing it are behind me - the Griff was epic, but I'm older and (a little) wiser now. ;)

Well - watching with interest to see what the diagnosis is. The mods should be a red herring as very mildly tweaked. Let's see. Hopefully it's an unlucky failure and Toyota properly stand behind it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, maurice said:

Ironically if you fitted a baffled sump or oil cooler for track safety you've more chance of warranty problems in the case of a blow up as you've modified your engine. You can't win!

In my case the warranty has already put in quite serious jeopardy by the harrop supercharger!

I've come to the conclusion that my warranty was in actual fact 3 years rather than 5 as Toyota are becoming increasingly uesless and wont fix a thing on my car. So with that in mind we should stop worrying about our warranties.

8 minutes ago, rob275 said:

I've come to the conclusion that my warranty was in actual fact 3 years rather than 5 as Toyota are becoming increasingly uesless and wont fix a thing on my car. So with that in mind we should stop worrying about our warranties.

That's what I think with my lot anyway it was one of the reasons for getting the car as I hoped I would have 4 years with peace of mind but in my case it is a farce or prehaps they should state 5 years limited to whatever they like warranty

On 18/12/2016 at 7:51 PM, rob275 said:

If mine goes bang I'll be hunting a 2JZ replacement.

On 18/12/2016 at 10:13 AM, LordGrover said:

Nope. 

When I ran two cars I would take my 'fun' car to airfield and track days,  but as this is my only form of transport I've never taken it on track. It's been driven 'normally' it's whole life, very rarely to the red line and I can think of only a couple of occasions when it's hit the limiter. My days of thrashing it are behind me - the Griff was epic, but I'm older and (a little) wiser now. ;)

Sorry to hear this news bud. As for getting to old haha your never to old. And knowing u on PH it's a shame I find out you owned a kit car (Griff) also haha kidding. Hpoe this gets sorted and you find out the cause. 

Got the call yesterday morning - all done.

New bottom end supplied and fitted. Battery was also replaced under warranty. While the engine was out I also had a new clutch and spark plugs, effectively free of labour charge.
New engine and clutch plus transmission fluids and the new billies installed a couple of months ago, it feels like a new car again - including having to run it in again. hehe.gif

2.1/2 hour drive back home was uneventful, ran well.

Now have to decide whether to keep it... I've lost a little faith, but still love the car. scratchchin.gif

That's great news. Any insight into what happened/caused the failure?

I'd also say keep it. I suppose in the end you don't know the history of the car. A previous owner might have run it low on oil for example. Now you have a brand new motor you can look after it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk