chelseablue

Hello from a Newbie

Good morning everybody, Just joined today and thought I'd introduce myself. picked up my orange GT86 last Saturday, big step up from my Celica SR, really love the car, it's a 14 plate with 10k on the clock, drives like a dream. looking forward to many years happy motoring with it. and having discussions on here.

I am also into classic cars and have owned a MK1 Cortina 2 door GT since 1983, so if anyone wants to info on them, I'm your man

1 hour ago, daidaiiro said:

If it's not been done already you may like to consider getting it mapped - makes it a much more enjoyable drive.

Can you expand on that? What benefits are there from mapping the stock car?

Op - welcome BTW.

Mine was mapped by Adrian at Fensport. He's raised the torque low down, minimized the torque dip, flattened the torque curve - much nicer to drive. Also a couple of toys; launch control, auto-blip on down change and flat-shifting.

Welcome to the forum :) To expand on @daidaiiro's point and briefly answer @Willtl's question regarding the remap, I too would recommend.

Main benefits are in terms of drivability. The engine revs and idles much smoother, no more cold start to deafen yourself, and a nicer feeling pull at lower revs thanks to a small increase in mid range torque. Couple that to the far improved throttle response, 4 switchable maps to give you plenty of driving options, and of course more power (who doesn't want that?), easily one of the best mods you can do to a stock car.

Couple with some supporting mods and you're laughing.

Welcome aboard. Another ginger eh? It's been proven in the TSS that white is the fastest colour. :P

As for a remap, yes well worth it. Did mine at Tuning Developments in Warrington. Worth changing the exhaust and all that first, so you can do it all in one go. 

Thanks for the welcome guys, I've done some in depth research, (I looked at the Toyota colour chart) and came to the conclusion that Orange is definitely the fastest colour.:-)

On a more serious note, I've seen a price list where Toyota charge £160 for supply and fit front brake pads, are they made of gold?

1 hour ago, chelseablue said:

On a more serious note, I've seen a price list where Toyota charge £160 for supply and fit front brake pads, are they made of gold?

That doesn't seem unreasonable. I actually think it is quite good when you factor in labour costs.

Well, It's a job most folk can do themselves, normal road pads can be had for less than £50. (EBC greenstuff) so I'm afraid Mr T's price seems a bit steep to me, I've owned Toyota cars since 1981 so I've learned to gauge the prices pretty well over the years, that's why I asked if the Toyota parts were anything special.

I do all that sort of work myself, was a bit shocked when I saw that price, especially compared to other Toyotas in the list, made me think the pads must be something special, so I'm probably a bit out of touch, apart from warranty servicing, I'm the only person who works on my cars, never trusted anyone with my cars.

17 minutes ago, daidaiiro said:

July 2014 I had greenstuff pads fitted which were £45 +VAT  +fitting - CLICK.

Quieter than OE pads and lasting much longer. Pleased with my choice.

Good read that👍