Sign in to follow this  
STEVO9000

Fault Code - P0351

Anyone else come across this?

Driving home from work this evening, accelerating onto the motorway. Went through the revs through 2nd, into 3rd, shifted into 4th and traction control light flashed up for a second or two followed by engine management light which stated on.

Stuck my code reader on it and got

P0351 - Ignition Coil "A" Primary/Secondary Circuit.

I cleared the code and light went out, hasn't come on since and have taken the car out for a good blast after leaving it cool down again. Not sure if it's in my head, but does feel a little off on power.

Having read the Internet there seems to be a few posts about it on the US forums when they're being driven hard. Anyone have any experience of warranty work when it comes to this? Car is due to be mapped on 14th/15th and I don't want to run it on the dyno with a dodgy coil pack!

It tends to come up if you really drive it hard and shift just before the limiter. Mine did it, got it changed under warranty as a precaution. Alec went through a few of them. 

I've had it and it'll come back on at some point....but will go off again on it's own at some point too.  I recall seeing a slightly drop in power on the dyno but you don't actually feel it, the only really annoyance is that when it appears, you can't use cruise control at all.  Got mine swapped out under warranty no problem.

Spoke to dealer today.

They want me to keep an eye on it and if it comes back up to take it in so they can check it out. I've tried quite hard since it happened to recreate it and nothing so far so fingers crossed it holds off over the weekend too! 

Well, came back up today....

Accelerating onto a dual carriageway using full throttle, shifted at about 5,000rpm and as I let off to change the light came on....

Haven't cleared it this time as dealer said if it came back not to and just to take it into them so they can check the trigger points so off to them on Monday! 

Same issue for me today.  On the motorway behind a slow vehicle in the outside lane.  Vehicle moved so i downshifted and and floored it.  Skid warning light was displayed followed by CEL.

Carista showed code P0351 Ignition coil "A" Primary/Secondary Circuit.

Will be giving @Riceburner a call in a bit ;)

After the first instance mine stayed off for about 3 months, then came on as I was accelerating at full throttle in 3rd and lifted to change at about 5k. 

Dealer cleared it and booked it in for more investigation but it came on again before they had it back in but the light turned it self off as well that time.

Anyway, they did some diagnostics and fitted a new coil to cylinder 1 in the end! Been fine since, but that was about a month ago.

55 minutes ago, Varelco said:

Would it not be a better idea to just get it fixed? Its not like its gonna cost you.

More important things to sort on the car first tbh and it will cost me as my warranty is by no means in tact! Eventually when I get some time to lug it to Toyota I will.