Mike

Round 3 Woodbridge - 12th June

Wow....what a day....first time at Woodbridge MOD Airfield/Race Track for the 3rd Round of the Toyota Sprint Series and it definitely was an experienced.....the track was almost off-road rally stage like, broken up concrete surrounded with big bushes etc.....definitely not for the faint hearted because as you're powering around corners etc, you can feel the wheel just smashing and skipping over the gaps between the concrete slabs and loose surfaces. Very difficult to learn since there's no map and it's just made up of cones and bollards so it was very difficult to gauge braking points and how sharp the corners were since most of them were pretty much blind corners. I can definitely understand why people don't like this circuit.

First couple of runs and I was getting 1:55.47 - 1:56.68 - 1:55.01 while Mike (who is currently my direct competition considering Lauren is impossible to reach and Kevin was kind enough to skip this round....otherwise I'm sure he'd have won the 1st or 2nd place trophy) was getting 1:59.93 while spinning off, then gets a cracking 1:53.73 before his next run that once again leads him to take a scenic route around some bushes before lunch :D

Sadly while we were out for lunch, it started to rain for a good hour and I thought that was it....there was no way I could catch him....however strangely enough the rain was only very light on the track and by the time we had got back from lunch we were straight out again and it had actually dried up....and that's when I pulled one out of the bag....a 1:51.02.....couldn't believe it....and not just that, Mike pulls in with a 1:52.07 but I had to break his poor heart and tell him my time. This made him very impatient and was eager to head straight back out again.....but then everything changed.....I think "Storm" was with me with day, she probably looked at my time and thought that would do and decided it was time to rain again....a lot....which ultimately led to my first ever trophy (even if it's 2nd place :P ). Well chuffed......the thing is I'm sure Mike would have beaten that time but I also know that there were still areas that I could have improved....whether I would have managed to pull them off or not is something we'll never know now :D Sorry Mike :P 

13423935_10154436407562018_8121888013222

13433157_10154436407847018_7700874768123

The rest of the runs were just spent playing around with everything turned off....seeing if I could "handle" the car in the wet with no aids at all.....and I'm quite chuffed because I managed a couple of well controlled drifts......and then some not so much :D

A massive thanks to the Javelin lot, TSS lot and everyone who attended.....BRING ON ANGLESEY!!!

Links to my slowest dry and fastest lap of the day followed by a link to a couple of the wet fun laps:

Well done, Keith, absolutely great effort. Mike has some serious competition now and well, we need to get everyone going faster so Kev and I can have a four way battle. That would be good! :)

I bagged my third win in a row, though there was no satisfaction in it for me. The layout didn't give me my usual racing fill, so I only completed three runs. It was also obvious after I did my second run that there really wasn't much to be gained as I only knocked off 3/10ths of a second, so I trotted off home early. 

As said on FB, written the day off. A trip through the bushes on one run after having my foot slightly on the throttle when braking, took out a couple poles on the first timed run so only had 2 proper runs and comparing them to last year there were parts where I was quicker last year. Never got to grips with the left hander at the end of the back straight as it had changed from last year which I didn't realise!

Day summed up by kerbing 2 wheels and taking a small knick out of a tyre on the way home :( 

First sprint for me. Found the track very odd and hard to read, compared to a "proper" track. Never really got the fast right hander after the hairpin dialled, too slow or too early turn in every time. Best time was a fairly slow 1:58.27, and the rain started before I had a chance to really work on improving it. Lots of fun in the wet, quite a few spins though. ;)