ZEP

Torque App

Hello:

Can someone answer my question:

I've been using Torque app in my smarphone for quite along. I can register oil temp after adding pid details. A week ago I've changed my smartphone to a Samsung S/ Edge. When I tried to add the oil temp PID the menu shows two new items: 

Diagnostic Start Command
and
Diagnostic Stop Command

I tried with those in blank but it doesn't work.

Ayny ideas?

Wow, what a long and mostly empty thread (the FT86 one). The only useful thing in it is the oil temp part, the rest is just confused people.

The accuracy of some of the other elements requires a sensible car weight.

I think the oil temp of the Torque App is it's one very useful function. I did a bit of testing three years ago at a very hot Donny where it was 35C. Found I was getting oil temps at 125C after a couple of laps, so found it best to ease off down the straights. Interestingly it didn't seem to really get any higher though. 

37 minutes ago, DanJ said:

Yep! I tried the fuel left PID as well and it's complete bollocks, but oil temp works a treat.

I have a working fuel left PID, seems pretty good to me; showing ~50 litres just after a fill and seems accurate after that. It required a little bit of fiddling to get it spot on as I recall.

18 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I think the oil temp of the Torque App is it's one very useful function. I did a bit of testing three years ago at a very hot Donny where it was 35C. Found I was getting oil temps at 125C after a couple of laps, so found it best to ease off down the straights. Interestingly it didn't seem to really get any higher though. 

My oil temp got to ~130C within a lap or two at Snetterton but doesn't really go above that. Seems like my manifold adds a bit of heat soak. Maybe I should look into an oil cooler.

In case anyone is interested, my fuel remaining PID is:

PID: 2129
Min Value: 0
Max Value: 55
Scale Value: x1
Unit Type: l
Equation: ((A/95.0)*50)
ODB Header: 7C0

Gives fuel remaining in litres.

49 minutes ago, daidaiiro said:

Why 95 not 100? Are you allowing 5% fudge factor?

I certainly would. The fuel pumps don't like being run to the last drop, and the accuracy is off when you're either very full, going round corners fast, or otherwise below the minimum measurable. Does the '86 have a saddlebag fuel tank? If so then it's already approximating both sides.

2 hours ago, daidaiiro said:

Why 95 not 100? Are you allowing 5% fudge factor?

You're assuming it reads as 100 for full scale...

95 is "because it works"; it reads 50l when you have just filled up and decreases by the right amount. It's adapted from the stuff on ft86 where they tested various numbers while filling the tank with known amounts of fuel.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

You're assuming it reads as 100 for full scale...

95 is "because it works"; it reads 50l when you have just filled up and decreases by the right amount. It's adapted from the stuff on ft86 where they tested various numbers while filling the tank with known amounts of fuel.

The tank has a 55 litre capacity, no? I'll add a display for each and see which one works out best. ;)

2 hours ago, daidaiiro said:

The tank has a 55 litre capacity, no? I'll add a display for each and see which one works out best. ;)

No, it's a 50 litre tank.

But i guess above tank's itself 50lr there might be also some capacity in fuel lines & tube from tank till fill cap, if one has habit to fill full till first auto-cutoff(?), and then more some. I sometimes think about borrowing small extra can of fuel and just for experiment sake run once till completely dry of fuel, just so to know how much there can be ..

The fuel syphon is from the bottom of the tank. If the filter works, you'll only consume the filth that fits through it. That same filth will be agitated on every fill, so it's not like it's being kept somewhere safe until your rainiest day.

I can confirm the oil temp PID mentioned earlier works a treat. Fairly convincing numbers, with sensible oil temperature being achieved a bit after the water hits the normal mark on the temp gauge (which seems to be damped above about 80 Celsius).