S18 RSG

Help me make a decision

Well, as an unfortunate addition to my list of modifications, my newly scratched wheels are now in need of a refurb.

Unfortunately, because they're polished, it's £400 to refurb them back to normal, with a 4 day turnover, so I've decided against that and will be refurbishing all 4 in a new colour tomorrow.

The question is, what colour?

I'm currently leaning towards gunmetal grey, but with a slight tint of red metallic to give them a shine in the sun, but wondered if you guys had any other suggestions and/or examples.

The floor is open, fire away :)

red is a really awkward colour to do wheels for i've found. The only colours that work are gold, and black/grey really. White can also work. Gunmetal with a bit of red flake would be the way i'd go if i were to be different though.

Just now, Lauren said:

White as gunmetal is a tad conservative really. 

I get what you mean, but being that it's my daily driver, white wheels would be a nightmare. I'd have to take them off every weekend to give them a good clean. I love white wheels, but I'm thinking more practically :P

5 minutes ago, rob275 said:

red is a really awkward colour to do wheels for i've found. The only colours that work are gold, and black/grey really. White can also work. Gunmetal with a bit of red flake would be the way i'd go if i were to be different though.

You're right there Rob. I regret not buying a white/grey one every day, until I see the car in a car park and see how good it looks.

I think your last mention is what I'm gonna do. Something subtle to the passer by, but a little special to those that look at the details.

Red car .. i'd vote for grey aswell. Though not sure, if 'aluminium grey', or if polished shiny. I wouldn't want 'electric' colors like green/yellow/blue/pink/purple/etc to not look cheapish & ricy, black .. maybe only if in mix with shiny metal like in stock wheels, bronze better goes with black/white/blue cars. Mine is orange, not red, but imho colors that go well with it ar close to what go well with red, and i like result with aluminium gray wheels i have now. Imho white color goes very good with red too .. but it's a bit on unpractical side for all dirt/brake dust looking bad on white wheels and need to clean them often.

Well, up to you, but I'll bet if you put some red into the gunmetal no-one will notice it. 

You say that but you notice Jordan's purple wheels well enough which is similar...

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Well, up to you, but I'll bet if you put some red into the gunmetal no-one will notice it. 

That's almost the goal. Make it subtle enough that they look grey, but in the right light it's quite prominent. I can go a little more mad when I get the money for a set of track wheels, but these are summers.

S18 RSG: i mean 'most common' grey color that unpainted alloys usually have :). Gunmetal .. i've seen too many too different looking colors/paints called gunmetal (sounds like popular marketing buzzword because of that) to really tell what really is gunmetal and if what i think it is is same as others do :D

EDIT

Oh, right. And what do you think of multiple colors? Like grey most of surface, and some areas of different one? Be it shiny black, red, white, whatever .. For example - on sides of spokes.

That's similar to how they are now Church. They're polished faces with a slightly darker silver on the sides of the spokes. I don't mind it when done right, but it's very easy to make them look cheap if done wrong, that's what worries me.

Take pic of your car with wheels on and play in photoshop or anything alike. Or click mirriad of links/threads from wheel directory on ft86club.com to find pics with red car with different types of wheels/colors to get ideas (that's what i did myself, searching all the pics with orange toyobaru and sorting out ones which i liked and which i hated, to narrow choices to few). Our advises as to what looks/fits best for us may differ from Your taste :) , and main thing is for You to feel good about selection/result.

Hahaha. Now I know why you said that. First time I've seen your car without the silver wheels.

To be fair, that's exactly the kind of thing I'll do with my track wheels. Looks great, if a bit loud :)