Rich

Snetterton Trackday April 27th

yeah I'm just poor really... I have £40 to last me the monthand a load to go out when i get paid. I need to be sensible!

Yes you do. Being sensible would be taking advantage of the early booking rate of £139

If it's any inspiration I'm not far off being a year without smoking a cigarette. I found vaping to be a good substitute and am gradually reducing the nicotine strength, two more steps to go and then I'll be on 0mg. There's really no point then, just the psychosematic part to overcome!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, richardcarman said:

What's viewing like here, as a wannabe owner be nice to come take a look and as its my local track I need to start learning it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do pop along. I'm happy to give passenger rides. 

20 hours ago, richardcarman said:

What's viewing like here, as a wannabe owner be nice to come take a look and as its my local track I need to start learning it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trackside views are not too hot. The scale of the course means big gaps between the same car coming round again, and you can't really see more than a couple of corners at once. Passenger rides are fun but you would have to wear a helmet (which is a tenner on the day).

I like the track, and it's not too far away, so I'm trying to egg myself into booking with my shiny most valuable car I've ever owned...

46 minutes ago, nerdstrike said:

Trackside views are not too hot. The scale of the course means big gaps between the same car coming round again, and you can't really see more than a couple of corners at once. Passenger rides are fun but you would have to wear a helmet (which is a tenner on the day).

I like the track, and it's not too far away, so I'm trying to egg myself into booking with my shiny most valuable car I've ever owned...

Accidents are rare at track days to be honest. I've yet to see a smash up. 

Just take it easy and let by anyone approaching rapidly. The key is to not let anyone try to do something silly to overtake you by letting them past right away. 

9 minutes ago, Ade said:

Accidents are rare at track days to be honest. I've yet to see a smash up. 

Just take it easy and let by anyone approaching rapidly. The key is to not let anyone try to do something silly to overtake you by letting them past right away. 

Well, I've been to Snetterton three times. First time there were 3 red flags involving fast cars and idiots, second time had one closure for 350Z that turned right instead of left, third time there were MX5s spinning all over the place and some nice 11's off at Montreal. In short, I have no illusions about immunity from calamity, but I've had some good days there,

Well yes, i'm not saying I haven't seen cars go of track or spin out, but i have yet to see an accident were two cars collide or someone hit a barrier hard enough to do some real damage.

TBH I think the most action I saw was at Oulton Park last year. One chap was about a foot from hitting the barrier and another went in the gravel trap and a few had spinouts. Rowdy lot the GT86 and BRZ club :lol: 

Just had an email saying my calipers have shipped today, I'm holding my breath until they're in my hands and I can confirm they did everything they were supposed to!

Speaking of brakes, I'm still running stock pads, I'm a bit worried they'll disintegrate at the track leaving me with nothing to get home.

Any suggestions on a good set of new pads? Do I even need to worry? Every time I search on this I end up with more questions than answers!

How did the stock brakes fair you at Bedford?

p.s. I have a spare set of OEM pads in my tool box, so if you did knacker them, fear not you can have mine - and I can help fitting them if you arnt confident. 

I've got Cosworth Streetmasters on at the moment, I think they're a good compromise for road and track use. After a smoky bedding in on the first run they were fine for the rest of the day at Bedford. If I get the Brembos on in time for Japfest you can have the Streetmaster pads.

They were fine, but I wasn't pushing that hard at Bedford due to it being my first track day. Unless it's horrible weather, I'll likely be pushing harder this time. That said I'm still on primacies, so I'll probably be limited somewhat by available grip. It might be as well to see how they are afterwards and decide then. I'm swapping to new tyres after Snetterton, so it might be a good time to do pads as well.

Cheers for the pads offer, I might need to take you up on that. I'm not confident on fitting them myself, I've never tried before. I have a mechanic friend who helps with this sort of thing usually. ;)

The stock parts really aren't that bad, you shouldn't really have any problems with the 300 circuit, I did a couple of trackdays with stock pads and primacys and didn't really have any issues at all except for Mallory Park which is a rather small track so was hard on the brakes a lot and did managed to glaze them, but like I said, since you'll be on the longer 300 circuit with the longer runs then you should be fine I reckon.....unless you stay out and do silly amounts of consecutive runs then maybe they'd probably die.  Any ideas how much pad material you have left?  They are pretty hard wearing so should last you no probs.

It all depends on how you drive. I'm quite heavy on the brakes I think as I can fade most pads in 20minutes. Only pads I haven't been able to are the Club Racers. 

if Rich was okay on stock pads, then the Street Master will be more than enough and should offer nicer pedal feel. 

1 hour ago, Ade said:

@mike-p

@GT86Jay

You guy tempted to join us?

Would be good to have another Cosworth so we can gang up on the Harrop :D

I'll come over to say hello, but my first Trackday of the year is booked at Cadwell on 3rd May.

16 minutes ago, mike-p said:

I'll come over to say hello, but my first Trackday of the year is booked at Cadwell on 3rd May.

That good enough. We can still gang up. I'd like to see your installation in the flesh.