Nicebiscuit

How to fill the arches without ruining the handling?

So... The winter wheels are going on tomorrow but already thinking ahead to spring...

I've come to the conclusion that I don't like the stock wheels - the offset looks wrong, they're too shiny and I don't like the Michelins. So... They'll go in the shed.

Options... Basically I'd like to fill the arches a bit more, and don't mind a bit more grip for road use but don't really want to ruin the handling... So anyone got pics of their cars running modest wheels? I'm thinking 17x8, 17x9 or 18x8. Whatever I get will be at least as light as stock so no worries there.

Or I could just powder coat the stock wheels and put (quality) spacers on them and Yokohamas...

Somewhat vaguely it seems to me from your post that from different handling aspects you don't want to go for too grippy tires to loose ease of power oversteering even with stock NA power.

Imho simplest would be to not go too overboard with overly wide wheels/tires. As stock primacies are relatively of low grip/low rolling resistance eco tires, then even generic tires of normal/grippier compound but of same stock 215/45/17 will give you more grip then stock. More sidegains with not going for too wide - cheaper tires, less prone to aquaplaning, lower weight of wheels+tires with gains it brings. So do you really need those x9 wheels and wider tires? Even if aftermarket wheels will be within weight of stock even at bigger sizes why not take opportunity to shed weight? So how about some 17x7,x7.5, up to x8 max of some low weight cast rim like Enkei RPF1/Kosei K4R + stock size but better tires of preferred brand/model, only taking care of right offset for your intended arch filling. If painting stock + spacers .. maybe also worth installing longer studs for extra ensurance.

Its a tough one as im in a similar situation. I like the aggression and fitment of your typical 9-10j wheels but im unwilling to risk ruining the handling dynamics of the car in my efforts for it to look good. Your best bet is to aim for something 8j with a lower offset (around +35) and run 215-225 width tyres. Or find something 9j+ and run stretched tyres to maintain similar of grip. Bare in mind you have compromises with each kind of set up, narrow but low offset wheels will throw off the scrub radius, wide wheels can be heavier and you start to lose ride quality with stretched tyres. 

17x8 +47 work emotion cr Kai on stock suspension, can't really comment on tyres as they are 235 wide federal rsr track tyres so it has tons/too much grip for me. Will double check the offset.

image.jpeg

Edited by AJ124
Added offset

BTW, it's worth to distinguish if "handles well" is by own opinion on what makes good or better handling eg. if views are based on grip driving on track, or it's as imho OP asked - to stay similar to stock handling nature, which we enjoyed when had our first test drives prior purchase :). There is reason, why low grip tires for toyobarus were chosen as stock OE.

For example for me - better track lap times due more grip certainly would be degradation of "handling" if it comes together with loosing or lessening low-speed power oversteer fun, instead getting sideways only at higher speeds and more suddenly, not progressive. My skills are too lacking to handle that.

When I say my car handles well, I do so from experience. I've tried the stock wheels and tyres, my current wheels with stock tyres, also with Yoko Advans on 225's, but I disliked the sidewall flex and felt that there was a bit too much grip to allow me to adjust the balance of the car as I wished. So I went back to stock tyre sizes on Yoko Advans, giving a very small amount of stretch which took the necessary flex out of the sidewall. This allied with less overall grip, gave a better balance. 

I like my car to be able to move around so I can adjust the angle of the car into and through a corner. I will admit to enjoying the odd drift on occasion. ;)

I have done 77k miles in my car, mostly on roads all over Europe and also on the track competing in the TSS. 

Thanks all.

By 'not ruining the handling' I guess I mean not altering the overall balance but a little more grip and more progressive loss of it. I realise I can get this by just sticking Yokos on the standard rims, but then it'd still look like a pram.

Thanks for the photos - I think that makes my choice clear. 17s look fine (unusually for a modern car) it just needs them pushing out a little. 17x7.5-8 with less offset should be the best compromise for me. The black one with the ducktail has just the look I want, and Lauren's looks 'right' too. Is that black one running coilovers as well?

The Orange one looks fantastic too, but a bit too far for me, and cheaper to get something light enough in 17x8 or thereabouts. I'd consider going that big, but I don't have the budget for the really tasty forged stuff...

Mine has Tein Street Flex on it. 

If it's any help, I picked up my wheels secondhand and got them refurbed. They are genuine forged Rays wheels, so very light which makes a big difference to how the car feels. All in with a refurb cost me £830. They just don't come up very often, so it was a case of waiting a while for me. 

Cheers. Well, I've got til Spring to find some.

Ah, yes the Fox fx005s. I think I remember you posting those before and me admiring them. They look a lot more expensive than they are - and that's a useful weight saving...

These are TSW 17 X 8 et35 spun forged with 225 advan 105s. Looked into lots of wheels and went for strength and lighter than standard. Has been dropped with different springs and alignment.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nicebisquit: funny, but i find that this car doesn't look bad with 16" too. For example scroll through pics in this thread or this.

At one point i very strongly considered 16" wheels (such as these , just 4.82(!) kg, half the weight of stock 17" (9.2kg, and they actually are rather light for their size)). Hadn't done yet final decision only because performance tire choice of that size is a bit poorer, and that i guesstimate that trend to grow in future.

While i hadn't yet finalized my choice if going smaller size, i'm certain that i won't go upsize above 17".

This is what mine looks like in the rain - there are wheels in there somewhere honest... :-)

Really pleased actually. You can really feel the difference that lighter wheels bring. These are just over 6kg a corner - I weighed them...

Not that you can tell, but they're ET40 so fill the arches a bit better too. All looks a bit rally car - the tyre fitter liked them

734c15f8fafddea7ee1d061901de2b2c.jpg

The only weird thing, is that if they're really 7.5 inch and et40 then how come they're practically flush when others in pics above appear to be running lower offsets with 8 inch rims.

My car now has 16x7 et40 and I'd say I have more than half an inch to play with before they spill out of the wheel arches...

Unless that's cause everyone else is running coilovers?

The only weird thing, is that if they're really 7.5 inch and et40 then how come they're practically flush when others in pics above appear to be running lower offsets with 8 inch rims.

My car now has 16x7 et40 and I'd say I have more than half an inch to play with before they spill out of the wheel arches...

Unless that's cause everyone else is running coilovers?

Definitely the right size. In the 71/2 18" they only make the 40 & 50 offset.

Maybe it's the lowered cars that need more offset to fill them as the arch is closer an exaggerates the difference. Or because they are 18"s I think most get 17".

Dunno???

Looking again, Deacons car on 17x7.5s at ET35 is even closer, so I reckon 7.5 inches must be wide enough on stock suspension. Or 8s on nearer stock offset like AJ124s

Lauren's doesn't count with its trick set up

Looks like 17x7.5s with stock size Yokohamas will do me fine. Suspension won't be changing for a good while.

I have to say it's already better on my 215/55/16 winters. I really don't like those Michelins...

Looks a bit like a pick up truck though