Eleanor11

Camber adjustment

Hi,

When I bought my 86 it had whiteline eccentic front top mounts (I think - can't fully remember off the top of my head) already fitted and I'm wondering what the pros/cons are to them.  My front tyres are showing more wear on the edge as would be expected, though nothing too bad, but I'm trying to work out if I'm better going back to standard.  For info, my car has stock suspension, wheels etc, but does have whiteline antiroll bars and I use it for every day use (about 400 miles per week at a guess).

Thanks

You don't really need to go back to standard - you can just have the alignment set to a standard set up with the whiteline on if you want. Have you had an alignment check?

If the wear is on both the inside and outside edges it would suggest to me it's a tyre pressure issue (under inflation) rather than alignment.

It depends if you mind a bit of uneven wear really. It will improve cornering but the inner tyre will wear quicker than the outer edge. That said a degree or so of negative camber isn't going to affect wear that drastically and the pro's far outweigh the cons in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Eleanor11 said:

Thanks.

The wear is just on one corner so its not tyre pressures.

So for day to day running, is there an advantage to having the camber altered?

When you say just one corner do you mean one corner of the car or one corner (?) of each tyre?

3 hours ago, Deacon said:

When you say just one corner do you mean one corner of the car or one corner (?) of each tyre?

Hi Deacon - one edge of each front tyre.  I'm assuming its the inside edge, but I don't know for sure because I've only seen it when the tyres have been swapped for all-seasons.

3 hours ago, Mark@Abbey M/S said:

Inner edge I presume is wearing , what are the camber angle set to please?

thanks

Hi Mark.

I'm afraid I don't know because it was a change before I bought the car, but I can have a go at working it out this evening and get back to you.

On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎12‎:‎46‎:‎18, Eleanor11 said:

Hi Mark.

I'm afraid I don't know because it was a change before I bought the car, but I can have a go at working it out this evening and get back to you.

"Have a go at working it out"? How exactly would you do that? :o

13 hours ago, rob275 said:

Technically it would work actually...

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

If you can accurately get within 1 degree using a protractor then you have better vision than Superman after a trip to Specsavers

10 minutes ago, smudge said:

If you can accurately get within 1 degree using a protractor then you have better vision than Superman after a trip to Specsavers

Fensport essentially use a giant protractor...lol