Willtl

Who is the tallest driver here?

You're a cheeky f**ker, Mr Rob275, I'll have you know that's 3 foot plus 1 inch!!!! 

I suppose treading on head is better than slap in face :-p

After putting up with back ache for 2 months and 2,000 miles and trying various cushions and lumbar accessories, I've decided that the problem (at least for me) is the car's lack of lumbar support - there is zero adjustment for this. I did a quick search on the internet and discovered that I'm not alone with this problem, there is a US based forum with members posting about this exact same issue with none of them experiencing the problem in other cars. Suggested solutions seem to centre around declining the seat and moving it forwards which I was kind of moving towards with the various adjustments I've made but now I've made a more conscious decision to decline the seat more and try to see if this brings about an improvement. I have a 500 mile round trip coming up this week and I think if this leaves me with aches, I've come to the end of the line with my BRZ adventure which is massively disappointing because I feel like I've just not had a chance to simply enjoy the car and I'm likely to lose at least £2k when I try to get rid of it.

I've definitely had more luck with the seat base further forward and the seat back reclined.

I then have the wheel quite low and towards the seat.

When I get it 'just so' it's really comfy, but get it wrong and it does make you stiff.

Mind you that said I'm only 5'9 and have the seat as low as it will go, so it does seem the car is designed with Japanese stature in mind...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are there no lumbar support cushions or nets that can fit to the seat?  Or maybe even getting some nice fancy bucket seats with added lumbar support or something?

11 hours ago, Keethos said:

Are there no lumbar support cushions or nets that can fit to the seat?  Or maybe even getting some nice fancy bucket seats with added lumbar support or something?

I've tried a couple of cushions and yesterday tried a lumbar support from Halfords that was adjustable (had a little pump like device) but it didn't fit very well into the seat (and has since been returned). Given that I chose the Alcantara heated seats, chucking them out and replacing them with something different seems a waste (as does trying to add cushions and lumbar support) and would end up with non matching front and rear seats. Even if I did choose to do this, I have no guarantee that the new seats are going to do the job, I'm not going to get to test drive them.

I'm going to see how the drive goes tomorrow and if no improvement, going to try not using the car for a couple of weeks to see if the aches and pain subside before using it again.

...and then start thinking about replacements....

I'm around 6ft (maybe a little under, but I'm sticking with 6ft), and I occasionally find the lumbar support to be lacking also, so I don't think it's necessarily a height issue.

I did find a link on (I believe) the Aus FT86 forum to a lumbar pillow sold on Amazon which was not only the perfect size for the seat, but the same material too (black alcantara). Let me see if I can find it.

Edit: From memory, I'm fairly sure this was it http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-McKenzie-Lumbar-Roll-Packaging/dp/B003WGIE9S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1454925761&sr=8-3&keywords=lumbar+pillow

I'm only 5' 10" and I've noticed the lack of lower back shape. I've got a longer than average body which means the seat shape tends to make me stoop if it's too upright. My fix is to have a passenger behind me, and then their knees become lower back support...

4 hours ago, nerdstrike said:

I'm only 5' 10" and I've noticed the lack of lower back shape. I've got a longer than average body which means the seat shape tends to make me stoop if it's too upright. My fix is to have a passenger behind me, and then their knees become lower back support...

Nice idea, but people in my family aren't exactly queueing up for a back seat, we basically treat the car as a two seater. I have tried a rolled up towel behind my back but that was kind of a hassle. I think I'll try the lumbar pillow like S18 RSG has suggested. Not ideal, but given the amount I'll probably lose by selling the car, another £20 will be a small drop in the ocean.