Neil_turbo

track day booked!

I am finally getting round to getting the 86 on track at Oulton Park on 14th November :-) can't wait!

The last sprint I did in the 86 was, in a word, slow! So looking forward to really getting to know the cars limits and how driving style will need to change from the MR2. 

So....

i feel a little lost without 2 pages of jobs to prep.! Any tips on things to look out for?

look out for any muppets on the track and steer clear of them, also perhaps start with all aids on if you're not too confident with it then after a couple laps turn on vsc sport and then even turn it all off

I've not driven Oulton before so in terms of tips on that i'm none the wiser have you driven it before? Obviously do your normal checks before going out on track, Oil/Water levels tyre pressures. At the very least you're going to want your VSC on. Or you'll just start shaking your head as the car seems to stop and reverse itself back around the corner (ok not quite but that's how impeding it feels)

If you're on stock pads they are likely to become useless fast, though this depends on your style of braking also.

Love it that Neil is getting loads of advice, when he's done loads of trackdays and competed in the sprint series for years. 

I think for you Neil, it's simply realising that you have to drive your car differently than an MR2. The GT has got a much  more playful chassis and far better balance than the MR2, so the reality is, it's easy. :P

haha yes thanks Lauren - i did mean more car related tips specific to the 86, but perhaps didn't make that very clear!

Last time i drove Oulton was in a Caterham R300 - so expect to be a little slower this time round :P

The car is booked in at RRG Macc. on 31/10 for new front tyres so gives me a couple of weeks to scrub them in. I'm sure Rich's team will give it all the once over for me then.

Brakes is a very good point, i am still on the original pads and discs so worth getting them checked over whilst there. will be interested to see how they fair up on track as heard mixed reviews.

I also have a nice Defi ZD gauge fitted so can keep an eye on the oil temps etc as for some reason i have it in my head these can get a bit high?!

oh didn't realise you're fairly experienced and wanted more car specific advice haha

the brakes (even standard) are fantastic at stopping the car but can fade if you're really pushing on and doing a long stint over 15 mins

He may have done loads of track work in his MR2 (which i'm aware of), but he may not want to bin his 86 :P  (We've seen how easily it can be done as of recently even if you are experienced)

Brakes to me are fairly useless after 10 minutes. Short sessions are the way forward, 15 mins tops really.

I have always worked on building up slowly in the car (which is always a good excuse at the sprints)

This will be built up extra slowly as binning the 86 is not an option!

That said i am still hoping for some rain as it does make things more fun!

I should add that those temps were the result in 37C ambient temps at Donington, though I don't think the ambient temperature makes a huge difference in practice. I have had a go pro mounted on the b-pillar on the passenger side, it does work okay, if you get the angle right. Otherwise a suction mount on the rear screen is an option.

We also tried recording with a stick on mount (same as B-pillar) on the A pillar, but you can't see what the driver is doing which detracts from it, I think. 

I admit though I've given up recording track antics on camera. 

Edited by Lauren

I've just booked Oulton Park for the 20th November! I have a dash stick on mount for my camera but as Lauren says It would be beneficial to have to located slightly behind the driver, to get a picture of what the driver is up to. Would it work stuck onto a helmet prehaps? I haven't a large amount of experience on trackdays so you will know far more than me Neil. Have fun!