Sign in to follow this  
Leejay-b

Standard manifold decat / bypass.

Have been researching N/A tuning.

Manifold and tune yields good results but is quite expensive...

American forums show standard manifold is actually quite good. Some tuners had quite good results with gutting the standard cat or cutting it out and putting a straight pipe in connecting to the over pipe. 

Being the main cat in the system yielded good gains even with secondary cat still in place, obviously not as much as full aftermarket manifold, but most of the potential with minimal costs.

Another big bonus was retention of the standard manifold heat shield to protect heat from the oil pan and coolant pipes. Wrapping manifolds is an option I know but this adds more cost and has other cons.

Anyone tried this yet?

Mark from Abbey Motorsports has done it and offers them on an exchange scheme I believe i.e. part exchange yours for one that has already been gutted, no idea how much and can't remember the gains though.

I'd say better leave stock parts as is somewhere stored. It's hard to sell car later on if it has aftermarket parts. It signals in red that car most probably was driven hard :). Better if you still have stock audio head unit, header, catback, brakes, wheels, can flash back stock ecu firmware and so on .. some of them can serve well as temp parts if something goes wrong with aftermarket ones.

I'd say better leave stock parts as is somewhere stored. It's hard to sell car later on if it has aftermarket parts. It signals in red that car most probably was driven hard :). Better if you still have stock audio head unit, header, catback, brakes, wheels, can flash back stock ecu firmware and so on .. some of them can serve well as temp parts if something goes wrong with aftermarket ones.

Rubbish

Mods can always be removed and sold separately if you want to when it comes to selling the car. But why should you keep it standard just because you're thinking of selling it one day?

That's like the people that want to keep the mileage down because it'll affect it's resale value. Basically the same as saying "I don't want to have sex with my girlfriend, she should be pristine for her next boyfriend" :huh:

@‌Leejay, do what you want mate. I'd advise doing any exhaust mods before the remap, otherwise it'll need mapping twice if you do that first

smudge: if one still keeps around stock parts instead of rushing to sell them for 1/4th of price right after replacing them with aftermarket ones, it won't hurt financially THAT much and by no means assumes that no aftermarket parts should/will be installed. And for whatever reasons they were, but i have seen posts of requests to buy specific stock parts back. As for resell value .. i know that it's that way for me, eg. prefering ad with car without turbo kit/BBK/lowered suspension/whatever aftermarket else, even if i would install similar aftermarket parts later on myself. Even if that 'stock' was of slightly older/of higher mileage, then one with pile of mods. Nothing says that mods automatically mean worse condition/heavier driven/abused, there are always exceptions, but it certainly may rise probability of such, and given limited trustful info from seller and available alternatives i would go for stock.

The main reason people part out their aftermarket goodies is because you'll get more for the separate modifications and selling the car standard than you would if you sold the car modified. Generally speaking of course

I have some experience of my own here...

I have bought modified cars before, saving me lots of money on future mods, sometimes a well modified car with the right owner is very well cared for. I have also bought cars standard and spent a lot modifying.

I also like to keep standard bits to have option of selling mods to recoup some money, and then sell car standard. But I have also sold cars modified at a marked up price to people like me that see the value of a slightly higher price being better than paying out for the mods on a standard car.

In the caee of the GT86, I would aim to keep it a long time anyway, saving me a lot of money by not changing and modifying other cars.

If I went for a 'gutted' main cat, or 2nd cat delete followed by remap it wouldn't be worth removing these IMO. The value of parts would be out weighed by labour costs of removal. They would be the only engine mods anyway.

Aiming for 210 to 220 bhp. Would consider adding final drive to aid acceleration such as 4.67 FD. That would be plenty for the B roads and reliable fun in my mind.

Smudge I think Church was saying about keeping the standard parts somewhere so that you can remove mods if you want, not keep the car standard.

That point on mileage though... :lol::lol::lol:

On 25 September 2015 20:24:56, Leejay-b said:

If I went for a 'gutted' main cat, or 2nd cat delete followed by remap it wouldn't be worth removing these IMO. The value of parts would be out weighed by labour costs of removal. They would be the only engine mods anyway.

Aiming for 210 to 220 bhp. Would consider adding final drive to aid acceleration such as 4.67 FD. That would be plenty for the B roads and reliable fun in my mind.

Would either of these options get to 210 bhp plus?