Wheels wheels wheels  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Of the 2 wheels which would you rather have?

• TWS T66-F
    • SSR Professor SP3

Hi All,

Like to introduce myself, my name is Chris and I have had a stock Silver GT86 with Nav/Leather/JBL setup for the last 3 years. https://www.facebook.com/Fensport/posts/900297963377455 I have read up on your various projects on this and the other uk forum.

Really love the car and wanted to improve it with tweaks here and there.

To date I have made the following changes curtesy of Adrian and Dan at Fensport:

• HKS Supercharger V2 Kit
  • HKS Hybrid filter
  • Mishimoto Racing Thermostat
  • Ecutek remap
  • Upgraded Helix Clutch
  • Fidanza Flywheel
  • HKS 4-2-1 manifold
  • Milltek over pipe
  • Berk front pipe
  • HKS Legamax sports exhaust

That is it so far.......

My next steps are wheels and coilovers and here is where I am looking for some advice. I'd like to install the HKS hipermax iv GT, fill out the arches with a 18x8.5 wheel and put on Contisportcontact 5 235x40 wheel. I have read a lot on the unsprung weight saving benefits and to this end I am very impressed with Twigman's TWS T66-F (I have gone as far as to source the wheels and have supplier ready to go), I also think the SSR Professor SP3's are beautiful but at this size will be around the stock 17's weight.

Does anyone think I should go down a different path and what wheels would you choose? One of the above or something else? Appreciate any feedback, Thanks. PS - Sorry in advance if I have misplaced this post.

Edited by MangoNo5

Welcome to the club Chris and nice list of mods there.

Don't really know much about the TWS' but if they are lighter than the stock 17's even at 18" then bonus, but unless you spend silly money, you'd normally struggle to get massive savings there.  To be fair, with the mods you got on there so far, doubt you'd notice much difference but I could be wrong.  What proper advice I could give you though is that even though the Conti's are really good in the dry and especially in the wet, I have found mine wore really quickly on the rears, mine only lasted about 7 months which was less than 10,000 miles I believe, it's been a while so can't remember exactly but they really didn't last that long at all on the rears, though the fronts still had plenty of tread on them and this was on stock size while some performance mods but still NA.

Edited by Keethos

Hi Chris, welcome aboard. The TWS T66-F is a very light forged wheel. I like the Professor's too and there's a part of me that would love to see what they look like on a GT. Sorry not much help there!

I'm not convinced by the spring rate on the HKS coilovers, 6/4kg whilst seeming to be what a lot of RWD cars run, many people run a 6/6kg setup. I run 5/6kg so softer at the front. The stock setup is 3/4kg or so, so I do think it's odd that HKS have done it the other way round for this application. 

I have driven Maz's car a couple of times, I really like the HKS V2 SC. I wasn't sure about the spring rate though as it felt a bit weak on the rear end. Maz reckoned he had it set really soft though. 

Edited by Lauren

Normally when you introduce your self you at least tell people your name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It clearly states his name is Chris, learn to read ;) 

Welcome Chris, looks like you've built a little machine here the T66-F's are a great wheel, bare in mind they are 18" though and not 17". But with the lightness perhaps it won't be so noticeable. I think the T66-F's don't come in 17's do they? I may be wrong.

TWS's are available in 15" upwards I believe. A lot of the Jap cup cars run them in 16".

Definitely my favourite wheels on the 86 just a shame about the cost and limited availability!

Yeah but I looked in to them a while ago and i'm sure for some weird reason they done every size but 17" :S

I'm not convinced by the spring rate on the HKS coilovers, 6/4kg whilst seeming to be what a lot of RWD cars run, many people run a 6/6kg setup. I run 5/6kg so softer at the front. The stock setup is 3/4kg or so, so I do think it's odd that HKS have done it the other way round for this application. 

I have driven Maz's car a couple of times, I really like the HKS V2 SC. I wasn't sure about the spring rate though as it felt a bit weak on the rear end. Maz reckoned he had it set really soft though. 

Hi Chris. Welcome :)

I agree with Lauren that the HKS GT setup is very understeer biased compare to stock. IMO they should be swapped!

FYI stock spring rates are 2.3kg front and 3.7kg rear for the GT86 and 2.7kg front and 3.3kg rear fro the brz which is a bit more understeer biased than the GT86.

Japanese coilovers often tend to be firmer at the front as the quick response at the front helps in Gymkana/autocross. Some people in the US are running VERY firm front sways for the same reason.

Edited by GT86Owner

It clearly states his name is Chris, learn to read ;) 

Welcome Chris, looks like you've built a little machine here the T66-F's are a great wheel, bare in mind they are 18" though and not 17". But with the lightness perhaps it won't be so noticeable. I think the T66-F's don't come in 17's do they? I may be wrong.

Rob, it says Chris & I, so I don't think Chris is writing this........

Welcome Chris! I think the TWS would be the best choice, they suit the car very well and as you know, are ridiculously light. The SSR's however would need quite aggressive fitment and stance to pull it off, i cant imagine you will have much of  lip with the 8.5s either.

Hi All, thanks for the welcome.

Good to know about the tire wear with the Continental's Keethos, is there something else you would recommend? I had gone on the decent reviews and the fact it was a fairly light tire compared to many. In terms of wheel weight the 18" SSR's are 9Kg and the TWS's are 6.9Kg.

Lauren Wish I could have the super light aspect and the SSR. The kid in me wants to get them as soon as possible and the SSR's have a 2-3 month lead time while I can get the TWS's from Japan within 2 weeks. Good to know a bit more on the reality of the HKS coilovers from you and GT86. Is there something else you would both recommend I was also looking Teins.

Rob/Deacon I really like the light aspect but recognised the difficulty in getting the TWS's. A friend recommended Nengun and they are the ones sorting the logistics if a push the button. Looking @ £1500 plus shipping and tax.

Glad you like the mods so far Rob thought I would concentrate on internals before looking at the exterior mods.

Varelco thanks for the input I am siding with the TWS's :)

Deacon yes the name does sound like the terrible song it was my gaming handle in reference to my parents island roots. There is more to it but I'll leave it there. It's just stuck along the way with anything gaming or forum based.

Apologies to those who have been confused on the name front based on grammatical mistakes or otherwise

Edited by MangoNo5

There's a thread somewhere with discussions of tyres, I'm currently using a mix of Yoko v105 and Conti 5's (because the rears wore so quickly, changed to the Yoko's but just on the front and put the remaining Conti's on the rear). Trying to get another pair of Yoko's but there's a shortage at the moment so can't comment on who good they are all round but I've heard good things. Otherwise, the Michelin Pilot Sports seem quite popular. Don't know how good they are first hand or how they wear.

Chris, the Tein Streetflex Z is an absolute bargain at the moment. These aren't rebuildable/servicable but I've got the rebuildable ones with 45K miles on them and they have been faultless and that is with the EDFC Active Pro as well. 

I'm not sure what spring rate they ship with stock, but am fairly sure it will be 7/7kg. You can ask for 6/6kg or the 'Lauren spring rate' (honestly Tein UK are now calling it that so they told me at the weekend!) of 5/6kg. It'll help the ride, but the reason why I went for a lower spring rate on the front, is so I can weight transfer under braking a bit better and rotate the rear a little easier. I've tried th 6/6kg setup and whilst it is a little easier, it tends to understeer a little more I think. My setup is perhaps a bit more edgy along with a fairly aggressive geommetry setup. 

It's all a matter of preference of course! :)

On 13 September 2015 at 17:56:09, Lauren said:

Chris, the Tein Streetflex Z is an absolute bargain at the moment. These aren't rebuildable/servicable but I've got the rebuildable ones with 45K miles on them and they have been faultless and that is with the EDFC Active Pro as well. 

I'm not sure what spring rate they ship with stock, but am fairly sure it will be 7/7kg. You can ask for 6/6kg or the 'Lauren spring rate' (honestly Tein UK are now calling it that so they told me at the weekend!) of 5/6kg. It'll help the ride, but the reason why I went for a lower spring rate on the front, is so I can weight transfer under braking a bit better and rotate the rear a little easier. I've tried th 6/6kg setup and whilst it is a little easier, it tends to understeer a little more I think. My setup is perhaps a bit more edgy along with a fairly aggressive geommetry setup. 

It's all a matter of preference of course! :)

Hi Lauren, the car hasn't had much attention for a while as I have been tied up with work and a new baby. I have taken the decision to go with your reccomedation and get the Tein flex Z kit. I will go with the Yoko's on the 18inch TWS's (which apparently are also custom built so I won't see them till Christmas). In regards to the tire size do you or anyone else have avice on dimension? I was thinking 235/40/18 and having a square setup. 

I think a square setup is the better option. Not sure how wide you went on the wheels. 8-8.5" 215-225's would be best bet. 235's will be okay, but you'll want an 8.75" rim really. 

I've ordered the 18x8.5, do you think the 225 would be better than 235? I wanted the wider tyre based on the jump in power. Adrian at Fensport favoured the wider but it's good to get more perspectives.

Thanks

I'd go with the 235 - I ran 235's on an 8" wheel on my last car and prefered it to when I tried a 225 tyre. 

The track tyres I have on a 7" wheel are 215 but are as wide as a normal road tyre in 225 and I really liked the way that rode and handled. 

I'll be going 235 on the 8" summers I'm getting.

Thanks everyone I guess I will go with 235's for now and see how it goes. I want the extra grip but I do not want to lose the cars handling qualities.

I will update you on this closer to the time, which probably be in the New Year as my wheels will turn up at Christmas!

I'm also opting for the black caps and black aluminium valves. To this I will be  adding the Tein Flex Z coilovers and Cusco front strut with master cylinder brace.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wheels have arrived :D, but unfortunately I do not have a slot until the 15th of Feb at Fensport, slight change of plan I will be fitting the Tein Flex A kit now unless some thinks I should not.

I am also looking at the Mishimoto Silicon Induction Hose, does anyone have any experience with it and also would you recommend something else instead?

Tein Flex A are as far as i'm aware good value for money. A few of us are running Teins. Mine are getting rather noisy over the past week. I need to get the car checked out. It's probably just my car falling apart in general though. I'm also fairly sure silicon is silicon, at least as far as cars go. If you're considering breast implants, perhaps do some research :)

Thanks for the feedback, hope its nothing serious with the car as for the implants, they definitely not on the mod plan! :lol:

Just pushed the button on some hood struts, this car mod game is an addictive financial drain! :) Having to keep these things under the radar from the Mrs!