Gringosteve

Gringo's 86

So, you're running standard manifold and primary cat then?

Yes standard so that I pass MOT and don't need a remap.

I realise it may seem a strange choice but the second cat is very restrictive.

This blog post convinced me

http://blog.perrinperformance.com/brz-front-pipe-design-and-proving/

http://blogperrinperformance.com/brz-overpipe-design-and-proving/

The front pipe on top of a catback gave a significant difference in torque either side of the dip, and increased power at the top end:

fd2eaff9b808b5bc7d6521c405a3da24.jpg

The second cat is restrictive, I saw gains by losing it too. 5-7bhp is nothing though you'd never notice it. I gained 10bhp/17lbft compared to a stock car with an intake as well and full exhaust system including overpipe. 

Interesting - as I was mulling the opposite (but more expensive) approach: aftermarket decat manifold, but keep the second cat and everything behind it.

Key for me isn't so much peak power or even torque, but smoothing out the torque dip which gets on my nerves. I'm happy to remap mind to achieve that.

That'd do me until the point (much further into the warranty) that I consider mild FI.

The second cat is restrictive, I saw gains by losing it too. 5-7bhp is nothing though you'd never notice it. I gained 10bhp/17lbft compared to a stock car with an intake as well and full exhaust system including overpipe. 

I think it is the free revving feel to the engine I can notice as opposed to feeling a power increase.

I had previously fitted a panel filter which will help I guess like your intake.

This way when I want to I can swap out the next components down (cat back) when I have the free cash/desire

7bhp for £120 is a bargain IMO

I think you really need to change out the stock exhaust system, too Joe. 

Possibly so. I have no issue doing that, other than I don't really want to make a racket or have boy-racer tailpipes you can fit your arm in.

The real stealth answer is to leave the whole system intact and bolt a decent s/c on - that dyno trace on the other thread of s/c on stock exhaust was impressive - but the slight issue of £s and warranty prevent that at the moment.

2 hours ago, Nicebiscuit said:

Interesting - as I was mulling the opposite (but more expensive) approach: aftermarket decat manifold, but keep the second cat and everything behind it.

Key for me isn't so much peak power or even torque, but smoothing out the torque dip which gets on my nerves. I'm happy to remap mind to achieve that.

That'd do me until the point (much further into the warranty) that I consider mild FI.

This is pretty much what I'm doing. I have a UEL manifold and overpipe on order from 1320 performance over the America, even with shipping and import fees it works out a lot cheaper than anything available in the UK (sub-£500 for both, landed).

I'm planning to keep the rest stock for now, maybe go for a catback later on for better noise.

I admit, I've had a Milltek on my car since I took delivery of it three years ago (it may be the 4th Milltek though!). I had the second decat done at 10K miles. I've left it alone since. It's fine tbh. I think you do want a bit of exhaust noise and induction noise too, it just adds to the character, though it's not overly loud and hasn't caused me any problems and I've been fine with it despite all the mileage I do. I guess to a point it's nice to have a sporty car sounding like a sporty car if that makes sense and I do think it adds to a sense of involvement when you're on it. 

Mine is a non-res, but it's not silly loud, I don't hear it on the motorway when cruising. 

I have been sent a set of Goodridge braided lines to review. These will be getting fitted in the next couple of weeks together with some new rear tyres as it seems I have almost worn them out :). The OEM tyres last FOREVER!

107d585c77103e77ad8819d34b0f4354.jpg

55b6fb6c2a6d274dc1e10a49a891cf4c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let us know how you get on. I've never really been convinced by changing brake lines to braided lines, but I guess you'll need to feel a difference for the review! 

Yes, the blasted Primacy tyres do last a long time. Used to get 14K out of a set of rears. Half that now with the Yokos. 

Braided lines aren't really designed to make you feel a difference, they're more designed for quite the opposite, so you DON'T feel a difference on longer track sessions/fast road driving.

We all know what a drop in brake fluid pressure feels like. Pedal goes to the floor, brakes fade, walls approach quickly. That's why we go for a higher boiling point fluid (so the fluid maintains a constant viscocity at even extreme temperatures) and braided stainless steel lines that don't expand under high temperatures, and therefore maintain consistent pressure within them. 

I think the misconception is that people believe they will feel a huge difference in brake feel even under normal driving, but while that may be an added bonus in some cases, it's not what they're designed for.

Small update:

Fitted 4 Yoko Advan v105 - car handling is transformed!

Plans for 2017:

Finally fit braided cables.. it's been a busy year!

Fit something more permanent for engine monitoring (love gadgets)/p>

Some more dress up bits

Get suspected oil leak from cam plate fixed

Get intermittent coil pack issue fixed

Had a play with the OBD gauge yesterday and very impressed. Can now keep an eye on temps and codes without having to use my phone. Will find somewhere more permanent to fit it to in the next few days and post full details. It allows you to monitor 6 obd parameters simultaneously (many to choose from). Also tracks fuel consumption and cost, data logs, code scanner.

35 minutes ago, Gringosteve said:

Had a play with the OBD gauge yesterday and very impressed. Can now keep an eye on temps and codes without having to use my phone. Will find somewhere more permanent to fit it to in the next few days and post full details. It allows you to monitor 6 obd parameters simultaneously (many to choose from). Also tracks fuel consumption and cost, data logs, code scanner.

Which gauge did you get?

1 minute ago, Gringosteve said:

Yes that's the one. I am messing about with fitting locations at the moment:

25c0901d2d90a3777e029667cbd9234c.jpg

Also looking to see if I can hack it to measure Toyota specific PIDs

Be careful what you do with those gadgets,they leave multiple error codes in the ECUs. 

42 minutes ago, Riceburner said:

Be careful what you do with those gadgets,they leave multiple error codes in the ECUs. 

They shouldn't do and it won't have a negative impact on running as it just polls the Canbus. Plus this can clear codes in the ECU anyway ;)

49 minutes ago, Gringosteve said:

Also looking to see if I can hack it to measure Toyota specific PIDs

The main thing that you want, oil temp, doesn't seem to be standard. If you can get that then I doubt there's much more you need. Really it's oil and water temp and the rest are just nice extras. I wonder how the 4 does versus the 6 visually.

On 01/01/2017 at 8:17 PM, Gringosteve said:

Small update:

Fitted 4 Yoko Advan v105 - car handling is transformed!

By transformed do you mean just way more grip?

This is what I'm after because right now supercharger + primacies + winter = quite dangerous.