Nicebiscuit

Review: GT86 Primo - a week in.

Maybe it's just understanding how it works. I wonder. It will blast out cold if you have it at say 20C and you get in the car and it's hot. Just leave it on Auto. When it gets the cabin to the temperature then the fan speed will reduce. 

Using Auto is the key. 

I agree with Lauren, mine sits at 18-20C on Auto without fail and it just sorts itself out.

How does that work Mr ECUTek and what's the other alternative?

There are actually 4 options:

Max Accel + Defog: Switch modes by turning on the rear window demist switch while holding the

accelerator to the floor. Every time you do this, the mode increases by 1. After mode 4, it

goes back to mode 1. The check engine light will flash to indicate which mode has been set.

Cruise Control Stalk

TCS Switches: When this option is selected, the ECU maps are selected depending on the vehicle's traction

and stability settings.

Mode 1 - Traction Control on, VSC Normal

Mode 2 - Traction Control on, VSC Sport

Mode 3 - Traction Control off, VSC Normal

Mode 4 - Traction Control off, VSC Sport

AT TCM Mode:

When this option is selected, the ECU maps are selected depending on the Automatic

Transmission setting.

Mode 1 - Normal

Mode 2 - Sport

Mode 3 - Snow

Mode 4 - Manual

I know that Adrian would agree, this car is a better basis for a track car due to the fact it doesn't have the complexity of the keyless entry and start button.

Basically, there are sensors all over the car which "look" for the key fob so it knows where you are. Without these sensors, or with the sensors moved around the system plays up and can lead to the car not starting. I would love to know how Subaru have wired your car to make it far more simple than the multi ECU system of the "normal" '86.

I actually don't want wires and sensors all over my stripped out interior.

For me and the pesky climate control settings, I normally leave it manually controlled and just adjust the fan accordingly with the temp set around 18-19c. One thing I do find tricky sometimes is demisting the front windscreen. It appears to steam up quite quickly sometimes and is a bitch to get rid of it on cold mornings.

Either I am a delinquent or the auto setting will do it for me and I have just been a silly bugger up to now! :P

For me and the pesky climate control settings, I normally leave it manually controlled and just adjust the fan accordingly with the temp set around 18-19c. One thing I do find tricky sometimes is demisting the front windscreen. It appears to steam up quite quickly sometimes and is a bitch to get rid of it on cold mornings.

Either I am a delinquent or the auto setting will do it for me and I have just been a silly bugger up to now! :P

You can just hit the demist button and it will demist the screen of course. Just run the AC all the time and it will never mist up. 

The auto setting will do this. I have to be honest, I can't for the life of me work out why people don't just leave it in auto, set the temp and then never touch it. The fan speed will alter to suit in auto setting. This is what I do. My temperature range varies from 19C in the summer to 22C in the winter, but that's the only settings I change. I have never had to use it in manual mode as that would defeat the point. 

What was said above by Lauren I always leave mine in Auto and just alter the Temp between 16 to 19 in the Summer and leave it on a constant 22 the rest of the time

The whole point of Auto Climate Control is once set,you just leave it alone !!!!

Sent from my Archos 53 Platinum using Tapatalk

Which is fine if you're a normal human being. But I'm a compulsive fiddler so I can't leave alone anyway...

Thought I might put up some thoughts, not least as I think I'm the only one on here with one of these, and might be useful to those coming on here considering spec.

So basically I bought this car because I wanted a GT86, I wanted a new one, and I wanted to spend as little as possible so that my children could still afford shoes (when outside the car, naturally)

No point in dwelling on the car in general, except to note that all the gushing reviews since 2012 seem pretty much spot on, and in particular Toyota appear to have made electric power steering actually communicate (which is a first for me).

So, what do you miss out on by going poverty spec?

- No Xenon headlights or led running lights. I have halogen projectors which I actually think quite clean looking. Still has running lights but uses the fog lamps to do this.

- No spoiler. A matter of preference, but one advantage is that I don't have any inconvenient holes in the bootlid either should I want to fit an aftermarket one.

- Manual aircon. I don't mind this as you get nice big old fashioned rotary controls you can use without taking eyes off the road. And it still will make you hot or cold as required.

- No cruise control. Doesn't bother me, but might be deal breaker for others.

- No start button. Mine has a proper old fashioned key. Probably takes up less room in your pocket. There's another fringe benefit here too. Because there's no starter button, the tray next to the USB and aux sockets is usefully bigger and fit your phone/iPod/whatever.

I think that's about it. Still has folding mirrors, Touch hi(ish)-fi, the same seats, nice leather wheel and same trim. And most importantly same engine and running gear. Mine has the same wheels, but if you ordered now you'd get some rather pretty 16' Enkeis instead and save a few more quid.

For me it keeps all the important bits and saves a few quid - a bit like the Renaultsport Cup cars. It also makes it serious value and is priced against very unexciting variants of BMW and VW coupes.

Other than that, after a week of ownership what strikes me is the stuff you wouldn't expect. Sure it's a lovely sports car, but I'd expect that. However it's also surprisingly useable transport. The boot is Ok, it's not unacceptably noisy, 6th gear is high enough for relaxed motorway cruising, the seats are comfy and even the back seats are perfectly viable for a young family providing the adults aren't too tall. The interior quality is also fine. It seems to be made from typical Japanese plastics that don't exactly look hard wearing, but yet somehow look exactly the same 15 years later (see Toyota Carina minicabs)

In summary, as viable second car transport for a slightly petrol-headed family of four it works a treat. This car is not just for the childless!

Enough for now. I think I've just thought of something I need to nip out for...

I am another of the 31 primo owners. Found out today that we also have smaller brakes. Am booked in for na upgrade, now looking for advice on whether or not I will have to upgrade brakes for the extra few bhps. Happy driving

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Angelina said:

I am another of the 31 primo owners. Found out today that we also have smaller brakes. Am booked in for na upgrade, now looking for advice on whether or not I will have to upgrade brakes for the extra few bhps. Happy driving emoji4.png

Helen, unless you're going on track I would say that your brakes would be okay. I had a low spec GT86 in Japan with the smaller brakes and I did literally set them on fire on a downhill mountain pass, so they definitely are not as good as the bigger brakes normally found on our cars. I would add though that I was going at over 100mph and there were a lot of bends coming down the mountain, so I did put them under a fair bit of strain. 

In summary, it depends how hard you drive your car. If you do want to get the bigger calipers I have a set sitting in my shed. 

Helen, unless you're going on track I would say that your brakes would be okay. I had a low spec GT86 in Japan with the smaller brakes and I did literally set them on fire on a downhill mountain pass, so they definitely are not as good as the bigger brakes normally found on our cars. I would add though that I was going at over 100mph and there were a lot of bends coming down the mountain, so I did put them under a fair bit of strain. 
In summary, it depends how hard you drive your car. If you do want to get the bigger calipers I have a set sitting in my shed. 

No plans to track her. Am just about to message Mike. I am travelling up on 17th Oct. Thats a kind offer, which I may take you up on. Thank you

15 minutes ago, Angelina said:

No plans to track her. Am just about to message Mike. I am travelling up on 17th Oct. Thats a kind offer, which I may take you up on. Thank you emoji4.png

I'd honestly say, get the TD NA package on. Drive it. If you feel that the brakes are now a limitation which I honestly do not think that you will, then let me know and I'll do you a fabulous deal as they've done 100K miles, but are fine. You'd have to buy a pair of front discs of course. A few beer tokens would easily suffice! Also have a chat with Mike, if you want them you can always pick them up on your way back down as I'm on the way back and only 20 minutes or so from TD (near Manchester Airport). :) 

I'd honestly say, get the TD NA package on. Drive it. If you feel that the brakes are now a limitation which I honestly do not think that you will, then let me know and I'll do you a fabulous deal as they've done 100K miles, but are fine. You'd have to buy a pair of front discs of course. A few beer tokens would easily suffice! Also have a chat with Mike, if you want them you can always pick them up on your way back down as I'm on the way back and only 20 minutes or so from TD (near Manchester Airport).  

Thank you. Will have to keep her at 70 on the way home

Thank you. Will have to keep her at 70 on the way home

I have oem front disks, calipers and oem pads that did
Not sure why I have not put them for sale yet, they are somewhere in the garage boxed up. Based in London.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk