Dan7954

odd or normal?

A little list, normal or not!!?

Stopped the car and gently raising rpm from 800-1000rpm I could hear a mild laboured diesel like noise which quickly faded after the rpm topped out to 1000. Next time I stopped it wasn't there.

On idle can feel the engine vibration slightly which 'bumps' a little now and again.. Sort of like your lawnmower running out of fuel but not as exaggerated.

Lastly. Clutch knock (only tested at standstill in neutral) when pressing releasing.

OK or go to dealer? Clutch seems like f/a as had it on other cars before..

Thanks.

Don't know about stationary revs to 800-1000rpm making a diesel sound but do sometimes get it when setting off and not giving it enough revs, sounds like a diesel/mechanical rattle sound.

Every so often I get the odd low idle drop a little but it just picks up the revs again and it's usually alright for a while.

As for the clutch, can't remember if I've heard thid at all but it could be just the diff engaging/disengaging?

To be fair to the car I suppose I'm a bit ott when it comes to engive/drive line noises. I notice everything and think its a fault at first. Doing this in any other place than in the night in a totally dead work car park I probably wouldn't notice it (apart from the 'bump' I mentioned.. Felt that before).

Im guessing its the release bearing assembly engaging then hitting its end stop I'm hearing.

Just want to make sure everything is all good before the engine mods.

No worries, I'm assuming it's normal since I've had it happen since I've own the car, which has almost been 3 years, but I'm sure others will pipe up when they've got round to reading this.

I don't know what 'clutch knock' is. But if you mean when you put it in first and you get a slight amount of driveline shunt, then it's the idle shaft, but they all do that. 

As for the revs going up and down. They all do that too. 

It's a disease - I always hear stuff like that and have to discipline myself to wait and see if it gets any worse. The Citroen I run is known for clunky suspension. When I got it it sounded like the front wheels were about to fall off. 45k miles later it sounds the same, and nothing has broken - 'they all do that Sir'

Hasn't stopped a lot of OCD owners spending £s trying to cure it though. Money down the drain...

I don't know what 'clutch knock' is. But if you mean when you put it in first and you get a slight amount of driveline shunt, then it's the idle shaft, but they all do that. 

I actually quite like it when it does that, maybe I'm weird lol.

I'm super paranoid too, but anything that'd normally worry me has been there since only a mere 5 miles were on the car so I've just assumed it's meant to be that way.

Clutch bearing makes a noise as you engauge it. Mine has done it since new and it is perfectly normal.

The problem with cars like the GT86 with very little sound deadening is that you can hear all the sneaks, bangs, whistles, pops and scrapes. Try driving over a rought surface.....

I too quite like a rawness sometimes. Makes you feel like you are in a proper sports car :)

Hearing all that makes me feel awesome when I drive the car! 

Just makes me think back to the guys who got to drive the Group B cars, and all the different engine, drivetrain and running gear noises they made! :D 

Those rally cars except no sound deadening also had loud exhausts, and very loud straight cut gears sequential gearboxes with their characteristic noise heard even over engine's. It can be fine for track-only (or rallyish) car, but as most of us also use ours as daily drivers, compromises on noisiness have to be made. I'm actually rather satisfied with compromises in twins. Yes, they are noisier, but not at unacceptable levels (once some biggest noise sources are eliminated, like rear seat latch rattle). Just like with their suspension .. it's harsher then average lexus-boat mode consumer cars, but not too harsh. In my eyes except slight underpoweredness twins are everything i can wish for at their price/niche. Except maybe i don't know how they will do in long term reliability wise, as they simply haven't been around long enough.

Cool. Thanks for the feedback. All seems normal then!

Guess the diesel like noise could be the injectors clacking away? Saw a vid on youtube with the injectors making alot of racket!

I rather bet that simply because of not too optimised too low rpm range with too much throttle open and heavy load for that. Doesn't bother me much (especially if it's mostly on cold starts when most extra noises come from different cam/ignition timings and fuel ratios for some time to quicker heat up catalisator), simpler to ignore. For me it seems that engine normal range for cruising starts no sooner then at 1600rpm in cruising and intended range for enthuasistic driving being 4500 till redline, hence not bothering me how it sounds and what extra noises produces below normal range.

Mine is a daily driver and also completely catless too, it all adds to the sense of occasion, the more noises to listen to the better! After putting on a heavy duty 6 puk clutch on the car I also have some new drivetrain noises to listen to now too :)