Sonic

Cosworth GT86 article on Pistonheads

It's somewhat more than mine, but I avoided the Nameless exhaust and went for the Avo system instead. But once the Tein Streetflex, EDFC and SuperPro bushes were fitted, it did come to an 'interesting' amount.

But hey, it was worth it!

I'm slightly off mine, but I avoided the Nameless exhaust and went for the Avo system instead. But once the Tein Streetflex, EDFC and SuperPro bushes were fitted, it did come to an 'interesting' amount.

But hey, it was worth it!

It's an awful lot of money mike! Considering the other kits out there, I guess you're paying for the extensive testing and research really.

research and development costs a fortune, even at the current prices they will probably have to sell a hell of a lot of kits to recover the costs.

I think its the exhaust parts that are a bit expensive, the SC kit looks like good value

how much is an intercooled  Sprintex kit once you've added the air temp sensor mod and paid for a calibration anyway?

It's an awful lot of money mike! Considering the other kits out there, I guess you're paying for the extensive testing and research really.

The fact that the system looks OEM when installed has a lot to do with it, which will be useful when I decide to move the car on when I'm in my dotage (no I'm not in my dotage yet).

And as you say the extensive testing and research, along with the capability of the s/c being way beyond what it is producing at the moment.

I think its the exhaust parts that are a bit expensive, the SC kit looks like good value

how much is an intercooled  Sprintex kit once you've added the air temp sensor mod and paid for a calibration anyway?

Around 4-5k fitted

As my '86 is my only car, and sort of daily driver, I'd pay the extra for the Cosworth blower because of the amount of development and testing in it (although I do have huge respect for Sprintex, ever since reading about their E30 BMW kits in the much missed Cars and Car Conversions!).

Although, I suspect that the amount of development cost in, and subsequent pricing of, (at least) the Stage 1 components reflect the original hope of being approved by Toyota/Subaru (and thus not voiding warranties). I'm guessing that hope is a bit forlorn now :( (he said with 4.8 years still to run on his warranty!).

With Cosworth parts for this car all you are doing is paying for the badge snobbery... nothing more. It is great quality but just too expensive. 

Their exhaust system is just a rebranded Nameless Performance system. You could get the identical system from Nameless themselves over in the USA and save big chunks of money - it just doesn't make sense to me. 

The Supercharger does seem good value for money, but that seems to be the only thing priced properly in their collection. Everything else there just seems to be an unnecessary premium on it. 

As Rob said, £7300 excluding VAT and fitting for a Supercharger kit, basic panel filter and exhaust system. With everything all in you are looking at over £10k overall! With that kind of money you could buy FBM's stage 2 turbo kit (£4400) twice over which pushes close to 350-400hp on low boost on stock internals!  

Madness :P

It's a bit unfair to say it's a rebranded Nameless system, it was designed by Cosworth and Nameless were chosen to produce the system for them which is why both names feature. The Cosworth designed system can't be bought from the Nameless store, and looking at their 3" systems it's a similar price to what's already available from them.

The 2.0 kit apparently is good for 380bhp with internals, but the package they sell out of the box is supposed to be a "one size fits all" kit that is designed to be reliable, how well it works with the autobox which in SpecK's thread they reckon is only good for 260bhp will be interesting to see.

In a way I'm pleased it's expensive, it means I can't afford it all so my wallet is safe  :D

I got to agree with James, I don't necessarily agree with the extra money being anything else more than the badge, yes they've spend a fair bit of time developing their kit etc but I'm sure Sprintex and any other system have done the same, if anything, since there are so many more Sprintex' and Avo's out there, I'm more inclined to get one of those systems as they are more developed and more support for them.

Perhaps I didn't mean to be so harsh with my assessment, but the point still stands. I could understand if Cosworth designed and then hand built/welded the entire exhaust system themselves including the 4-2-1 manifold and collectors but they didn't, and instead chose a company to produce it for them. Whilst Nameless do not sell the Cossie parts on their store, I would bet my car on their system being hugely similar. 

This is where the issue is for me. Over in the states you have the likes of JDL and PTuning hand building and welding incredible looking exhaust systems, which produce amazing number on the dyno, for a reasonable cost, why can't Cosworth follow the same pricing structure?

Whilst the charger is good value for money, and as you say good for 380hp it is an appealing proposition. However I am guessing to get that 380hp they recommend the Cosworth internals to go with the kit? Seeing as we are already at 10K for the kit, can you imagine how much extra you will have to pay to forge the engine with their parts too? 

As I say, great products and awesome quality, but when you have alternatives on the market that are of the same quality but cheaper, what would make you choose them? Especially for people like me who are on a tighter budget with aftermarket parts. 

well don't buy their exhaust then?

Isn't Adrian at Fensport allowed an unlocked map from Cosworth these days?

So you can buy your JDL , Ptuning setup import it, fit it etc and then get a custom cal from Fensport to tweak the charger appropiatly

as for thier forged internals, you'd hope that they would be a simlar price to Carillo etc otherwise, as you say who will buy?

so the same then

Cosworth is £5334, potentially £1.3k more, i'm not quoting an exact price on the Sprintex as prices change. But as has been said, it's the exhaust that bumps up the price.

Yes I know you can get a different exhaust, but i'm commenting on their full 2.3 package as a whole, being a little steep.

Safe for now Dan.... You will break :D

Can't break, got 16 months left on the car to pay it off and I'm fortunate to be in a position where I don't "need" a car but for a weekend toy it's quite expensive. Budget has gone on track days for this year and more for next year while I still have the car. If by some miracle what I'm working on now takes off then the Cosworth SC could be on my car in 24 months time, but it seems a shame to only have stage 2.1.

Fensport are fitting the stage 2 kit for me in July. I already have a 2.5" 2nd de-cat Blitz system and customer map license from the original upgrade. It's an auto car used for my daily transport into London and B road fun at the weekends. No track activity. I'm like kid at Christmas, can't wait

Fensport are fitting the stage 2 kit for me in July. I already have a 2.5" 2nd de-cat Blitz system and customer map license from the original upgrade. It's an auto car used for my daily transport into London and B road fun at the weekends. No track activity. I'm like kid at Christmas, can't wait

You'll love it, trust me I know!