ZEP

HKS SC V2

Hello:

After a long forum analisys collecting opinions I decided to fit a HKS supercharger Kit V2 and a HKS 2nd decat double resonated pipe. The e-tune will be done again by Fensport (I had a 1.2 stage by Fensport).
After contact with Abbey motorsports (wich was not very friendly) I decided to buy the Kit and pipe at Japspeed.de with a nice 5% discount over sale price and e-tune it at Fensport. I expect about 270-280 BHP.
I would like to collect your opinions about these subjects:

1 - I´m going to fit Michelin pilot sport 3 tires in OEM wheels. What is the best option for nice and secure handling (stage 2):

215/45 17" in OEM wheels (enough?)
225/45 17" in OEM wheels (the best?)
225/40 18" changing wheels to OZ ultraleggera (expensive...)

2 - The front 2nd decat pipe will affect carb emissions to ilegal level?

3 - Will it be inevitable for safe handling the up-grade of brakes, suspension, clutch or others?

Thanks

1. I think a 7" rim is a little too narrow for a 225, though it is within spec. So you could try it. Standard sizes with a different tyre would be my preference, though I run an 8" rim and have the option of 225's. 225/40/18 is fine but I would say go for an 8" rim.

2. Losing a catalyst should mean that you still pass the MOT, so don't worry about that. As long as you have one cat. 

3. Inevitably you will want to upgrade the brakes and suspension at least. 

Also I would like to hear how you get on with the Michelin tyres in OEM sizes. I'm toying with trying other tyres in stock sizes to see how that feels. I've tried wider tyres (225/45/17) but found it took the balance of car more to grip than handling. It was slightly quicker, but that's not always enough in itself. I do wonder if a different tyre but in stock sizes might provide the best overall balance. 

The only issue with the Primacy is it's less progressive than the Advans I tried. I'm thinking about getting Advans fitted in stock sizes though I run an 8" rim so there is a little bit of stretch, but it's still within recommended specs.  

Sorry I emailed you back saying we wont have any HKS kits in the UK for 4 to 6 weeks. Did you not get that email?

I said buy from your Germany Supplier.

Removing the 2nd cat  still allows the UK cars to pass the Uk MOT emission test. So I am sure your have no troubles but if you run the 2nd Cat you wont make 270BHP I am afraid.

Sorry again if you didn't get my last email.

I didn't receive your last e-mail. Thanks for the explanation. My option for Fensport e-tune was based on my nice previous experience and a lower price.

Best regards

I had a discussion with someone about needing better braking when going with more power. This is what I said to them at the time and I'm sure they won't mind me reusing it here: 

Regarding whether you need better brakes with FI or not, the point I make is always the same. Will having the extra power mean that you will drive faster everywhere? Of course on the circuit you will be going faster before you start braking so better brakes is always a good choice, but on the road if you are doing normal driving around town or on the motorway I would guess that your speed will be about the same, you will just get there sooner with the extra power. This means that under those situations you probably won't need any extra braking.

If you are looking to blast on the back roads and through some corners then again you have to think "Am I going to go faster into the corner or just accelerate harder but stick to a certain speed?" if you are planning on reaching higher speeds then of course the extra braking will help but if you don't intend on reaching higher top speeds then maybe it won't be as effective.

I guess you know how you drive and how much you use the brakes so you can always base your decision on that.

To add to what Maz has said I don't find I drive any faster top speed. I'm just accelerating faster and harder. On the motorway you tend to accelerate, over take but then cruise back down to a sensible speed. Never really using brakes. 

The only time I was glad for better brakes was on a back road as Maz said. Between corners with shorter roads you do get up to a higher speed than before. Therefore the braking needed is far more. I've been getting caught out the last couple of weeks getting used to my new speeds on roads I know really well. Driving them at 90% of the car capacity now is far far quicker than it was in NA form. Therefor i'm getting to corners faster with a higher speed. 

I think better brakes will always be better if you want to do spirited B-Road drives. But you can get away with stock brakes and a good pad if you're just cruising around and using the extra power on more main roads. 

1) I suggest fitting Michelin Super Pilot Sport, favourite of many, instead of MPS3. And if those, and if on oem wheels - then 215, simply because actual thread width is same for 215 & 225, hence no need to pay slightly more for not actually wider thread patch.

And even at 215 that thread width will be much wider then that of stock primacies & due grippier rubber compound you'll get lot of grip compared to stock.

EDIT

Or not. Maybe MPSS 235 on aftermarket lightweight 17" (see no need to go for heavier 18") rims, eg. Kosei 4R or Enkei RPF1, after all almost missed that you'll have SC too.

2) Yes, better leave 2nd cat as is (actually i'd leave stock header too .. imho better to stay 100% legal, if all needed extra power you get via forced induction from supercharger. No need for extra few ponies from cat delete on forced induction route imho, as that will net fraction of what SC will bring, and which is more then enough for this lightweight car).

3) Unless mild powergain setup of no more then something like 2.0 cossworth of upto 240whp, i'd change at very least stock clutch. Brakes and such .. no need for daily driving. On track .. depends on how often you race there, some upgrade brakes for more heat capacity of BBKs on NA. Some stay stock (not bad brakes at all), just add steel brake lines, race pads and fluid, and maybe air brake ducts.

Where can I buy in a  EC country the Michelin Pilot super sport 215/45/17" ?

There isn't this measure in Portugal.

Thanks

Did you dyno the car before the supercharger? for comparison's sake. 

Also what fuel are you running? 95 RON, 98 RON?

Seems to be a very low HP figure for the HKS V2 (assuming you're running on 98RON or higher)

Kind Regards,

Andrew

23 minutes ago, iddrew said:

Did you dyno the car before the supercharger? for comparison's sake. 

Also what fuel are you running? 95 RON, 98 RON?

Seems to be a very low HP figure for the HKS V2 (assuming you're running on 98RON or higher)

Kind Regards,

Andrew

Really? 240 seems about right to me. Assuming this is at the wheels of course.

The OEM plot had 185hp flywheel. I'm using 98rRON fuel. Had an increase of 52hp (237hp flywheel) and 45% more torque.

I've contacted Adrian and he told me these are the figures he has in other cars. To increase he suggests modifying the OEM exhaust manifold and change the 38mm SC restrictor to 40mm.

They are nevertheless much better than HKS catalog.

Has anyone else with an HKS SC v2 dyno the car?