GT86Jay

GT86Jay's HKS Version 2 Supercharger Install / Mod Thread

Jay, regarding Oil pressures. At 105C 0W20 will give you 60-70PSI (7krpm)  at the crank gallery (next to AC on the top) which is great.

See my posts on Lee HKS thead about Oils for track use :)

Good info for this thread too.

Boost pressure 39mm vs 40.5mm Restrictor

3000rpm = 39mm 0.17 bar / 2.5psi _______ 40.5mm 0.20 bar / 2.9psi

4000rpm = 39mm 0.31 bar / 4.5psi _______ 40.5mm 0.34 bar / 4.9psi

5000rpm = 39mm 0.45 bar / 6.5psi _______ 40.5mm 0.51 bar / 7.4psi

6000rpm = 39mm 0.55 bar / 8.0psi _______ 40.5mm 0.65 bar / 9.4psi

7000rpm = 39mm 0.38 bar / 5.5psi _______ 40.5mm 0.58 bar / 8.4psi (holds this pressure to limiter)

Jay, regarding Oil pressures. At 105C 0W20 will give you 60-70PSI (7krpm)  at the crank gallery (next to AC on the top) which is great.

See my posts on Lee HKS thead about Oils for track use :)

I'm running the Millers 0W30 and will probably just stick with this on a 5k interval. I've got not problems with my oil temps or pressures i'm seeing for the sort of driving I do. 

And the odd bit of track work. 

somebody mentioned something about impeller speeds...

The GTS7040 size unit as used in the kits for 86 has a maximum recommended impeller speed of 110,000. Many have gone a little bit faster and been OK (in fact the 86 in stock configuration does go over by a small amount) but for warranty purposes, you don't really want to push these boundaries.

The crank pulley diameter is 148mm on these cars and the stock pulley size on the V2 is 90mm. The drive ratio of the supercharger unit is 9.444 and so at 7500 rpm the impeller is actually rotating at  almost 117,000rpm. Certainly couldn't recommend that you try and go any faster than that but I do know of some shops who have pushed the boundaries and gone for an 85mm pulley and are spinning it up at over 123K. So far they haven't broken it but it's only getting limited use on circuit and they accept that any breakage (if it should occur) would't be covered by any warranty etc.

Thanks for that hashiriya :)

For those interested, multiplying your engine RPM by 15.523 will give you the supercharger rpm with this pulley set up.

There is some serious technical data in this thread - thanks, Jay, Mark and all who are contributing.

I think I am the only turbo car (in the UK) who has gone HKS forged kit so far.

And I have asked hashiriya if there are any plans in the pipeline for HKS to produce a lower c/r piston, as the current offering is 11.5:1, which is not far off our basic c/r. Which, without refined boost management,  is about as useful (to a turbo car) as a chocolate teapot...

There seems to be, from the data posted,  a demand on the s/c brigade to generate high revs to produce high performance/engine efficiency. Am I reading your published data wrong?

Spec K

There seems to be, from the data posted,  a demand on the s/c brigade to generate high revs to produce high performance/engine efficiency. Am I reading your published data wrong?

Hi Keith 

Peak boost on the HKS Supercharger is around about 6k rpm. Because of the nature of the supercharger there isn't too much boost happening below 3k rpm.  So we don't tend to have to worry about too much boost low down on the rods. I think the main problem with Turbo cars is bringing the power in too early can cause the rods to bend.

With the supercharger especially the HKS one the boost is happening in the high RPMs. I'm only speaking for the HKS supercharger as I don't know enough about the Sprintex setup to know. 

But the HKS one gives us a brilliant NA feel throughout the rev range and the power feels fantastic in the high RPMs! The restrictor we talk about peaks these boost levels at the top end. Less air thats getting through the less boost etc. 

I'm meeting Maz today so i'll get him to chime in on your reply. I don't know why HKS chose the 11.5:1 ratio but I don't think with their HKS setup the actual compression matters to much. As like you say its more about peak high rm cylinder pressures rather than low down. 

I do know HKS do 3 different size head gasket too to adjust compression.? 

Some of this might not be accurate but it's how I understand it. I'll get more from Maz today and update. 

Jay

On the way up to Felixstowe yesterday for a funeral I took some readings that might be of some interest. I don't know? I'll also post them in the Oil Discussions thread. But thought I'd put them in here as they're relevant to my build too.

I've been taking note of the oil temps and pressures over the journey. Driving it hard / steady, motorway and sprint style driving on b-roads. 

My Oil temp gauge is taken off the oil filter sandwich plate. And is accurate and identical to the ECU Oil Temp reading. Oil Pressure is taken off the same port as the stock oil pressure switch.

Oil Temps

I use the Millers 0W30 CFS Fully Synthetic Oil, with the HKS Type S Oil Cooler with hoses of about 1.7m long. What I've noticed is steady driving, cruising around I never see over 80c Oil temp. Driving it hard i've seen peaks of about 90c and on one Sunday chasing a RS4 and an RX7 we saw 102c on a very hot day. I've never been able to get them past 110c. 

Oil pressures 

Oil Pressures once hot always sit at around 4.5 Bar when sticking to speed limits and cruising around etc :) Idles at 1.2 bar and peaks at about 5 bar under full throttle to red line. When cold the pressure sits at 8 Bar. I've never seen my oil pressures over 10 Bar off the scale and never seen them drop below 1 bar even when really hot. 

The journey was about an hour and all readings where taken holding the car at a steady speed...

RPM -    Speed -  Oil temp C -  Oil Pressure - Gear

2000rpm - 50mph, 76 degrees, 3 bar, 6th gear

3500rpm - 86mph, 75 degrees, 5 bar, 6th gear

5000rpm - 90 mph, 80 degrees, 5 bar, 6th gear

5000rpm - 120 mph, 80 degrees, 5 bar, 6th gear

3500rpm - 86mph, 86 degrees, 4 bar, 6th gear

I'm going to do a couple of other tests where I blank off the oil cooler air intake to see how much work the cooler is doing etc. 

With a supercharger setup like this, what exhaust pipe work diameter would best suite it? Would you need to go 3" or would something like the Invidia N1 be ok? As far as I can see so far from reading up on this, it doesn't need a larger diameter like the turbo setup, but I wanted to understand what people have discovered from experience. Also looking at a Borla UEL manifold to go with it.

With a supercharger setup like this, what exhaust pipe work diameter would best suite it? Would you need to go 3" or would something like the Invidia N1 be ok? As far as I can see so far from reading up on this, it doesn't need a larger diameter like the turbo setup, but I wanted to understand what people have discovered from experience. Also looking at a Borla UEL manifold to go with it.

For the 300bhp mark 2.5" is fine. I've got 2.5" throughout. 

The biggest restriction is the stock 2nd Cat. Even with stock manifold and overpipe you'd be fine for flow. 

I've gone for optimum flow whilst staying legal, de-catted manifold, High-Flow Cat in front pipe resonated. Car with similar setup with no cats did produce a little more power, but it's incredibly loud and illegal for MOT.

I would imagine the bigger exhaust would be better? A little future proofing for when 400hp becomes the goal?

I would imagine the bigger exhaust would be better? A little future proofing for when 400hp becomes the goal?

Bigger exhaust would be best if you're in a position to be able to do that. I already had the 2.5" system and couldn't see a benefit of upgrading at this point. However if I was to buy an exhaust with the knowing i'd be supercharging i'd have gone 3". Although there isn't much benefit until you start pushing over 350hp IMO. At which point i'd want to spend the money on engine internals before a new exhaust! 

I've not really driven the car lately to get anymore data or updates.  In fact there are weeds growing up the side of it at the moment :(

However i'm looking for a set of the stock braces. The two black ones that come with the car. If anyone has a spare set going i'd be interested. 

Over the weekend I decided to do something about the engine bay. 

It was starting to look like an explosion in a skittles factory. I had a few different brands and ended up with, Orange, Blue, Red, Yellow, Gold, White and Black under the engine bay. 

I decided it was all to go black and stealthy to emphasise the supercharger. The Blue, Orange, Yellow and Gold really made it look tacky. 

On first thoughts it was to be Black. But this actually looked a bit plain and boring. Obvious i'd sprayed the stuff too. So went for a subtle glitter black. Which looks far far better and actually surprisingly more factory finished...

I done all the brace bars, caps, brake cylinder stopper and battery tie down...

Photo%2028-06-2015%2016%2012%2004_zpsqom

Photo%2028-06-2015%2016%2012%2012_zpsc0g

Photo%2028-06-2015%2016%2012%2021_zpsydw

Really happy with the results. Now waiting for my PW JDM anodizes washers to arrive to change them from Blue to Black.

Managed to clean the bay and get rid of all the grease, gunk and oil deposits that had built up too. Looks like new. 

Also took advantage of the Halfords 3 for 2 offer on at the moment... 

Photo%2028-06-2015%2014%2027%2001_zps4xo