GT86Jay

GT86Jay's HKS Version 2 Supercharger Install / Mod Thread

You need a shorter number plates Jay, I've recently fitted shorter front and rear plates designed for 5 characters and it looks much better ;)

Yeah i've wanted the shorter plate with the 3D Gel Letters as this will match the TRD Gloss black really well. but not sure on the legality of it. hence why i've not done it yet.  Benefit of the TRD kit is the bracket is made for a smaller plate. 

Nice write up Jay.

I must say your not helping though....

I was trying to resist the urge to modify this year. This afternoon I had to stop myself phoning Mark and booking the car in.

I fear it won't be long.LOL!!!!

Do it! You won't be disappointed! One of the best mods i've done! With a few tweaks it really is an awesome car! 

You've already got the KWs! So you won't need much more! A good brake pad, and I assume you're already decat! ;) It's asking to be bolted on! 

I have a 2.5" exhaust all the way. HKS De-Catted Manifold, Miltek Overpipe, BERK catted front pipe and Cobra Resonated centre pipe and Cobra Back Box. We didn't see any problems with flow or the system holding anything back. It flows very well! 

Please buy my 3" Perrin Jay!! Please!!

Please buy my 3" Perrin Jay!! Please!!

It's only the catback system? Unless I went 3" entire system there wouldn't be much point? My 2.5" Berk Cat would be the limiting factor anyway I imagine.

And i'm really happy with my current exhaust, it flows really well. Will take a bit more power and sounds great! 

. but not sure on the legality of it. hence why i've not done it yet.

All the info is on the DVLA website. Just get the spacing correct and you're golden. You need a minimum of 338mm width IIRC if you don't have a GB plate.

Nigel, a large exhaust isn't as crutial on a SC car as a turbo one.

Sorry peeps, but I'm a little miffed here..

This thread has gone from discussing, fitting and testing/tuning one of the best tuning mods available for this platform into a great big discussion about number plate lettering...

I just know i'm gonna get loads of stick for writing this.. but really.. does number plate lettering really fit into the projects and builds section??

Sorry peeps, but I'm a little miffed here..

This thread has gone from discussing, fitting and testing/tuning one of the best tuning mods available for this platform into a great big discussion about number plate lettering...

I just know i'm gonna get loads of stick for writing this.. but really.. does number plate lettering really fit into the projects and builds section??

I agree.

We'll stop all number plate talk there. This thread was going to be an ongoing thread about mods on my car as a whole not just the Supercharger install. But I think going forward I'll keep this supercharger only related content as its the first major HKS Supercharger Thread and start another thread for my other mods. 

Can a mod/admin delete any numberplate talk from this thread? 

Back on topic:

Regarding oil Temps and Pressures. 

I've got the HKS Type S oil cooler with the fog light delete. Cruising around with the supercharger I see temps of about 75 - 80c. Pushing hard they creep up to about 95c. And last Sunday on a seriously spirited drive with lots of full throttle runs and hard cornering I got the temp up to 105c. 

Everything ran faultlessly and 105c is a good road temperature in my opinion. 

Throughout the temperature range the pressure was stable and consistent and didn't have any concerns at all with pressures even at high revs and high speed corners. The real test will be on track. 

I am at Coltishall test circuit on the 6th June so will take notes and keep and eye on it then. This will probably be the first time on track since fitting the charger. 

Jay, 

What oil pressure gauge/oil pressure sender are you running?

Do you have some cool tech running to monitor stuff like oil pressure, oil temp, water temp etc or just good old gauges?

I am reading ( and trying to memorise ) the HKS GT Supercharger install manual and i can see that in part 3 it tells you to mount the SC + bracket to the engine. But in part 5 it tells you how to attach the filter to the supercharger out of the car and then stick it all on to the engine... This is a mistake i imagine right?

And at the end it tells you to rev the car to 2K RPM for 10 seconds to run the traction fluid and top up if it goes down. I imagine you can only rev the car to 2K once you have flashed the base map correct?

Also, the manual warns at the end that while the engine is getting warm you may hear some weird sounds. Did you experience any of these sounds?

Jay, 

What oil pressure gauge/oil pressure sender are you running?

Do you have some cool tech running to monitor stuff like oil pressure, oil temp, water temp etc or just good old gauges?

I am reading ( and trying to memorise ) the HKS GT Supercharger install manual and i can see that in part 3 it tells you to mount the SC + bracket to the engine. But in part 5 it tells you how to attach the filter to the supercharger out of the car and then stick it all on to the engine... This is a mistake i imagine right?

And at the end it tells you to rev the car to 2K RPM for 10 seconds to run the traction fluid and top up if it goes down. I imagine you can only rev the car to 2K once you have flashed the base map correct?

Also, the manual warns at the end that while the engine is getting warm you may hear some weird sounds. Did you experience any of these sounds?

I've just using Gauges with the sensors in the Oil Sandwich plate. They're accurate to within 1c of the ECU reading so I'm happy. 

There are a few bits like that! Try and ignore the photos. In some photos it's pictured parts out of the car / in the car just for reference. Follow the manual text and you should be fine. When I get a moment I will open up the manual and confirm those steps you mention. I think we did actually fit the traction filter to the bracket before we put it in the car to make it easier. But It won't make much difference...

The car will run on stock NA map. Just don't put any load or high RPMs on it. I started mine on stock NA map and ran it through for 10 seconds fine. You could even drive it carefully on the NA map but best to get a base map if you can. 

As long as you keep it low revs and light throttle it will drive. Anything below 3k rpm isn't producing much boost anyway so the ecu just fuels according to NA. 

I didn't hear any sounds or anything above normal. I guess whats it's talking about it as things heat up and expand you may hear creaks and pipe work settling in to position.... 

Have you any idea of what boost the charger is putting out, and what it's recommended ceiling is Jay? Where is the restrictor, on the inlet or outlet of the compressor?

Have you any idea of what boost the charger is putting out, and what it's recommended ceiling is Jay? Where is the restrictor, on the inlet or outlet of the compressor?

I think its around about 0.55bar at peak at the moment. the restrictor is on the inlet side. It goes between the stock air box and the compressor itself. 

It's the little gasket style disc you can see between the intake pipe and compressor.

IMAG2482_zpswiuxjs94.jpg

Not sure what the maximum boost level this compressor will run. But its rated for 400hp at least on an unrestricted engine. 

Jay , can I post up the boost curve from the HKS cars I have tuned? is that okay?

Absolutely! This thread is for everyone to learn and see what the HKS kit can do. So more input and evidence the better.

The car will run on stock NA map. Just don't put any load or high RPMs on it. I started mine on stock NA map and ran it through for 10 seconds fine. You could even drive it carefully on the NA map but best to get a base map if you can. 

As long as you keep it low revs and light throttle it will drive. Anything below 3k rpm isn't producing much boost anyway so the ecu just fuels according to NA.

At light throttle and low RPM the engine in closed loop operation where it will target 14.7:1 AFR and will use fuel trims to correct if it's not hitting that. So long as you don't go high load open loop then there won't be an issue, so you could even drive on the stock map without doing any damage so long as you stay within those parameters.

Jay - did you measure the supercharger pulley prior to fitting? Or does anyone with a kit laying about want to measure the pulley?

I can measure the Pulley this coming Tuesday if you want, that's when my kit will be arriving (hopefully !)

If you could that would be great -  :)

I think without the restrictor we will be seeing 1.2/1.3 bar boost at the top end;

I ask Mas what rpm the SC is running with the HKS set up,

Im sure I heard or read somewhere that its set up to spin at 'maximum' and uses the restrictor to reduce power, so 110,000rpm possibly. I just want to know for sure and plot where things are on the compressor map.

I didn't measure it and can't really now. 

The stock pulley is pretty much the limit that HKS say is safe for the charger. I think there is one owner in Japan running a slightly smaller pulley. But I wouldn't feel confident with it. The charger can push 400hp easily on the stock pulley with no restrictor. Way beyond the limits of what i'd ever want to run on a stock engine. 

1.2bar no restrictor sounds about right. Even with my 39mm pulley the charger just pulls and pulls to red line and it feels fantastic!