Nige's Wide Body Project

Awesome work mate can't wait to see it when it's all done. Your making me want the hole kit but your version not knight racers one lol

Thanks for the compliment Dan, but I'm afraid you'll have to use the Knight racer or genuine. I am not a trader, so am not able to sell my kit.

And the time has come to reveal the sculpture that is the buck for my Diffuser Mould. There is a LOT of filler, fibreglass, sweat and toil in this piece of body kit, but I hope you'll all agree, when compared to the original, the work was worthwhile..

Diffuser%2012.jpg

Before...

Diffuser.jpg

After...

Diffuser%2016.jpg

Note the straightness of the upper and lower ledges and also the fit around the periphery.

Diffuser%2014.jpg

There's still more work to do, as the little winglets need cleaning up around the unavoidable seams.

I've got to work out now how I will make the mould, I think it will need to be in at least 4 pieces to ensure a quick and damage free release?

Thanks for the compliment Dan, but I'm afraid you'll have to use the Knight racer or genuine. I am not a trader, so am not able to sell my kit.

Not strictly true, if you made a one off for Dan it's allowed :)

But it is copying kits and potentially that could be an issue even though you're making a fake of a fake! 

Had a similar problem elsewhere, it's just we cannot condone stuff like due to the outside chance of Rocket Bunny wishing to pursue it. Making fakes and selling them is not legal after all. 

But it is copying kits and potentially that could be an issue even though you're making a fake of a fake! 

Had a similar problem elsewhere, it's just we cannot condone stuff like due to the outside chance of Rocket Bunny wishing to pursue it. Making fakes and selling them is not legal after all. 

This could potentially open up a very big can of worms.  Is the original protected by copyright?  When is something a copy, or a replica inspired by the original?  What is not legal is making a copy of an original item, and selling it on, claiming it to be the original.  Nige has, through his great posts, clearly shown that he has made his own plug, from which he will be making what can at best be described as a replica of the original.  A very large portion of Knight Rider/Racer (I cannot remember which is is, and cannot be arsed to look) body kit, which are openly advertised on eBay and else where, are blatant copies of the original.  They do not try to pass them off as the original, though, which is I guess how they get around the illegality of selling fakes / knock-offs.

Copyright only comes in to play if you're selling for a profit, and on a larger scale. It wouldn't be worth them pursuing a legal case against nigel making one kit, because they wouldn't of made enough loss to cover the fees. Just give it some artistic flare and call it a nigel bunny :D

Are you saying "Cant condone" as in get this car off the forum Lauren??

As far as I'm concerned, I've bought a poor copy of a GReddy Rocket Bunny kit, spending hours and hours making it fit the car, then taking moulds off it so I can make myself some decent quality panels that fit.

Really, what is so wrong with that?? There are companies out there making replica's of Etype Jags, and what about all the kit car Countach's, GT40's, Startos' and Cobras?? They're not all illegal, surely?

No, I don't think Lauren is saying that Nige, think she was referring to the idea of selling kits that you make. Personally I don't see a problem if you are making a better quality kit, plus it's slightly different now since your kit is actually straight rather than a wabbly pile of you know what.

I don't have a problem with what you've done at all Nige. Your choice. You've bought a replica kit and decided to make it fit. Not an issue or my concern. But, if you should start to market replica kits, then it could potentially cause a problem for the club and it would land on the heads of the directors of the club of which I am one.  

I know you haven't said you would do this and this discussion is off the back of someone asking for you to potentially do that. Should you wish to do so, I would ask that you do not involve the club nor, speak of it on here. 

I've had a similar issue on IMOC which I'm also a director of and we had to ask the seller not to sell such parts on there as a result. 

Thanks for your compliments.

As it was cold and windy this evening, I ventured out onto the drive and trimmed the front fenders with my trusty grinder.

Two problems.....

1. I thought the front fenders would fit easily. Well, I was wrong!! The front turn under lip is way too acute to fit accurately, so I'll need to cut it off and build a representation of it with filler, only for moulding purposes of course. I've also had to thin down the glass around the front and rear to allow the 'glass to flex around the contours of the wing. So, when the mood takes me, I will get the plasma cutter out and remove sections of my brand new front wings to allow these lumps of fibreglass to fit.

2. I had button fly jeans on whilst I did this grinding. I didn't bother doing all the buttons up for some reason. A certain part of my body is now a little raw, or should I say, certain parts of my body??

And so.. we move on to the front fenders, my favourite part of the way the genuine RB V1 looks.

Here's what happens when you let a nutter, (as Rob calls me), loose with a Plasma Cutter.

Front%20wing%20cut.jpg

And the left fender extension fitted..

RB%20LF%20Wing%201.jpg

I thought the front fenders would be easy to fit, but I was wrong!! The front edge of both fenders are turned in and under which narrows the front edge of the arch and totally destroys the form of the compound radius of the arch. Here I'm trying to show what I mean, but you'll get a better understanding of what I'm talking about when you see the cut up repairs and alterations.

RB%20RF%20Wing%201.jpg

Note also the gaps along the top edge... these will be sorted the same as the rears, by glassing in behind and grinding through from the front.

This area should be fun to repair???

RB%20RF%20Wing%202.jpg

This is live as of Saturday Morning.. I'll try and keep you all posted every step of the way, so you can all make mental alterations when the time comes...

After a few hours of cutting and measuring, pulling and pushing and generally messing around, I finally got something like the right dimensions..

RB%20FL%202.jpg

The right side fought me all the way, and will require a little more work to shape correctly for the final moulding.

RB%20FR%204.jpg

So, now the cuts have been glassed from behind, and the filling can commence..

RB%20FL%203.jpg

RB%20FR%203.jpg

I wonder if this is what all the kit manufacturers mean when they state, "May require some trimming and adjustment" on their literature??