Special K

Dudley Member? - help owner in distress?

Hi,

I wonder if there is any Forum member in the Dudley area who may be able to help me out..?

As many of you will be aware, I was forced to miss the opening round of the TSS by a broken auto transmission. Fensport managed to get this to Andy Frost of RedVector1 / Penn Motors fame and he has set about rebuilding it with upgraded parts.

Andy was hoping to complete it by today and ship it back to Fensport. But I've not heard from him so I reckon it probably won't be finished until tomorrow. (I promised not to phone him, as I was taking him away from my rebuild!)

If the box is not back with Fensport first thing Monday morning my hopes of competing at Blyton are doomed. There is just not enough time to get it into the car, re-plumbed and the car re-mapped.

That, effectively, ends my TSS campaign this year, as I will have missed two of the six rounds and it's the best five results that count... four results won't cut the mustard..

I need a local member - preferably with an estate or similar wagon - who is willing, at the drop of a hat, to visit Andy at Penn, Woverhampton and collect my two boxes/torque converters and hold 'em  until I get up there tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Now - it may turn out to be a waste of time, as Andy may not have finished the rebuild - but, if anyone is able to help me please send me a PM with a mobile number wher I can contact you and I will text you back.

Thanks

Spec K

Update  at 8.20am -

I emailed Andy and he responded immediately.... transmission rebuild is completed and he is awaiting the rebuilt converter which should be with him by 11.00am this morning.

As soon as he lets me know all bits are available I'll leave for his place to collect... then it's up to Fensport to perform miracles between Monday and Friday...

... can I see a glimmer of light at the end of this dark tunnel..... ? 

Spec K

Thanks for the good wishes, guys

I collected from Andy yesterday afternoon - I am very, very, impressed by that guy's attention to detail, even down to fabricating a bracket to hold the coverter plate at tdc for Dave at Fensport to follow. He's a bit annoyed that we hadn't given him the whole car so he could slot it all back together and test it... when I get a chance I'll go back up there and let him have a test drive.

He had kept the old dog clutches to show me - temperature killed 'em.

Dropped all the bits off at Fensport 9.30am this morning..

is that the upgrades from SSP that have failed?

No, Tareim.

My original SSP upgrades were the stage 2 valve assembly body, torque converter and trans oil cooler (see their website). Now, if you are looking for a modicum increase in power (and still keep it docile for road use) I would recommend the stage 1 valve body assembly.... the stage 2 is very aggressive and gives you a belt up the backside when it changes at lower rpm (this is mentioned on SSP's website - you don't notice it a full throttle/high rpm)

These proved more than adequate for 320bhp on sprint/drag use but extreme use on trackdays built up too much heat for the cooler to deal with adequately and cooked the original dog clutches.

The latest upgrade, now fitted, are the high performance dog clutches.

Plus Redline Lightweight ATF instead of Toyota ATF.  This new trans fluid is recommended by Andy and is safe to 540 deg C - now stocked by Fensport 'cos I ordered double what I need just in case...

I am also moving the trans oil cooler from behind the rear bumper (with electric fan) to the front of the car, ducting air via a (removed) foglight. The electric oil pump for the trans fluid will remain, of course. The engine oil cooler is being moved from in front of the intercooler to the other (removed) foglight.

I am also taking a temp sensor from the transmission oil sump to a new guage fitted in the drivers fresh air vent with a red light warning/klaxon... this is one seriously expensive trans so I'm taking every precaution with it.

We shall see if this cures the issue - oh, and a Seibon vented bonnet to aid cooling.

If I was to look at competing again next year (with possibly more power, hehe ) I would have a serious chat with Andy. He has offered to build me a 'special' autotrans - 3 speed plus overdrive - based on a competition spec which is safe to 1200bhp. Would mean some serious gearbox mount fabrication and a custom-built prop... also it would be stick shift, not paddle - a sequential box but without a clutch. Of necessity it would be a closed-season project but we will have to see..

Spec K

so from here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53020 did you get those clutch upgrades first? or only got them now after the failure?

I had the new clutches sitting at Fensport when the oem packed up - I bought them direct from SSP, not DSG.

The original plan was to get the engine and trans rebuilt at the same time but delivery of the clutches was delayed, so I decided to re-install the engine using last years modified autobox, run in the engine and compete in the first Sprint before stripping and rebuilding the trans via Andy Frost.

The rest, as they say, is history...

Spec K

Wouldn't a three speed box be a bit long in the tooth Keith? 

I know you'd be packing a lot of power, and there isn't a lot of weight to push along, but the ratios will still be a very long with only 3 speeds... no?

unless of course you'd plan on having the first three ratios fairly aggressive, with the overdrive very long and just used for cruising?

Just thought I would ask the question as it is something that does interest me :) 

Andy uses Red Vector 1 on the road with just two gears -although  he does have up to 1000bhp to play with...

The existing (auto) first gear is hardly used at all and fifth in the autobox is the equivalent of top gear in the manual, so I don't think 3+1 would be too long.

Spec K