Captain Duff

Summer tyre thread

Ok, I know this has been done before, but as people have the car for longer I'm guessing there will be some more experience to draw on. So tyres to replace Primacy's on OEM rims, what would people recommend for non-track road use. I like to feel as safe as possible in the wet, so currently the short list is:

>  Conti Sport Contact 5

>  Goodyear Eagle F1

>  Yokohama Advan 105s

>  Michelin Pilot Sport 3

The Michelin PS3's always seems to be the most expensive, while the Yoko can be harder to find. I did have Conti SC2's on my previous car and thought that they wore far too quickly, but am happy to accept that the SC5's could be very different.

So views, experiences, alternatives?

I have Goodyear Eagle F1's on at the moment and have done since November with no issues and very happy with the tyre, used to run them on the GT4 I had previously as well. Recommended from me for road :)

I am changing to Advan V105's though, but thats for track use mainly

The Continental Contact Sport 5's felt a lil wobbly to begin with but once worn in, they handle very well, the rears could still step out a little in the wet but no where near as much as the Primacys, but had massive amount of grip in the dry.  HOWEVER, my rears after 7 months have worn down to pretty much the legal limit.....only just found out after dropping them off for a refurb  :o   There seems to be plenty of tread left on the fronts, will need to get an pair to replace the rears but I might try something else next time round purely out of curiosity.

Thanks for all the replies, very useful. One other question, and I realise that there may not be a simple answer to it, but for the same brand of tyre (and again on the basis of fitting OEM rims) what are the pros and cons of the XL versions that I assume essentially mean a stiffer side wall.

The Yoko 105 and Michelin PS3 only seems to come XL, but the Conti SC5 and Goodyear Eagles you get the choice. I'm assuming that a stiffer side wall is desired for driving/sliding around corners at speed, but that ride comfort will not be as good for day to day driving?

Extra load will simply mean a stiffer sidewall. It's up to you when it comes to sidewalls, I like mine stiff for responsiveness, I'm willing to trade a bit of the ride comfort for that. You make your choices. 

I drive 25K a year on all types of roads, tons of work mileage. I have a car that is lower with stiffer suspension and I'm currently running a little stretch (not much though) and it's fine. Plus I'm over 40! ;)

Extra load will simply mean a stiffer sidewall. It's up to you when it comes to sidewalls, I like mine stiff for responsiveness, I'm willing to trade a bit of the ride comfort for that. You make your choices. 

I drive 25K a year on all types of roads, tons of work mileage. I have a car that is lower with stiffer suspension and I'm currently running a little stretch (not much though) and it's fine. Plus I'm over 40! ;)

nothing wrong being over 40 once your behind that wheel your 21 again :) x

I'm on yokos not bad tyre at all not sliding as much though and let me know what price you get them for and i will ask my mate rod at rsj tyres for a better price just text me on 07415871076

A lot of advice, much of it from people who 'track' as well as 'road'.

Cap'n - you want  'wet weather' grip, yes? I have driven on the road with all of your choices, both on OEM rims and upon track rubber/wider rims

Advans? - a total disaster in the wet but excellent on dry roads. These tyres coiuld cause death to novice drivers and should be banned from road use, in my opinion. I think Yokos cobbled this size/construction  to fit the Japanese GT86 frenzy which followed the car's launch - they are unfit for purpose in the UK my opinion.

Michelin PS3/Goodyear Eagles? As good as each other on OEM rims, the difference is negigible. If you go for the Eagles make sure you get the 'made in Germany' type, with rim protection - not the garbage made in Turkey.

Contisport? In a league on their own when new - wet/dry grip is astonishing.  But! - I have only used these on wide rims, not on OEM rims. I (and Lauren!)  have given them serious grief on track and the wet rating has diminished so someone may give you better advice on  this in regards to road use.

Spec K

nothing wrong being over 40 once your behind that wheel your 21 again :) x

LOL, I was more saying that if I can live with it..... I honestly have no desire to ever be 21 again (my driving has improved considerably since then) and I'm quite happy with being middle aged. ;)

I don't agree with Advans (Are we talking about 105's, Keith?) being poor in the wet. In fact they are very good! Or are you talking about AD08's or AD08R's?

Seen good things from the Eagle F1's regarding road use, originally wanted conti's but worried over tyre life.. decisions decisions! 

Won't be changing until July so have plenty of time to decide! 

Thanks for all the feedback. I've gone for the Goodyear Eagle F1's in the end, although largely because they are currently a lot cheaper than the rest at £93 a corner fitted (Black Circles using a garage down the road), compare to £107 for the Yoko 105s which was my other choice, so I've also booked a 4 wheel alignment with the money saved.

I would have probably considered the Conti SC5's a lot more were it not that I wasn't too impressed with the older SC2's (and in fact on that particular car - Octy vRS - found that the Avon ZZ3's were loads better, and a lot cheaper too).

I have the Yokohama advans 105 225/40 r18s, came with the car.

I have to say that I'm not impressed with wet grip, love the way the back steps out, but not impressed with the lack of grip from the front end.

In the dry the feel planted but can feel the front scrabbling at times when pushing on.