nickfrog

Brake judder after track day

Even after 2 weeks?  I remember glazing my brakes at Mallory but I don't remember them taking that long to go back to normal again.  Then again, I also don't remember how much they juddered at the time.

Stock pads? If so, there's your issue and it will go after a while.

I hope you're right. What concerns me is that the disc look pretty neat now compared to then. Actually it was 10 days and 200 gentle road miles ago so maybe I've got to be patient !!!

Same thing happened to me after the recent oulton park club track day.

Brake Juddering was very noticeable at motorway speeds.

Took it in to the dealers. They measured the discs and found them to be slightly out of shape.

I'm thinking about upgrading mine now.

it will just be pad deposits due to running the pads over there Temp limit;

try 6 hard stops from 70 to 20mph let the brakes cool BUT don't stop with your foot on the brake;

The another 6 stops the same again let them cool BUT don't stop with your foot on the brake

and 1 more set of 6 stops;

Reason not to stop with your foot on the brakes as the hot pads will leave a deposition of brake material on the rotor , carrying out the 3 x 6 stops we are trying to clean the rotors.

let the brakes cool before parking the car

give that a go it may help

Same thing happened to me after the recent oulton park club track day.

Brake Juddering was very noticeable at motorway speeds.

Took it in to the dealers. They measured the discs and found them to be slightly out of shape.

I'm thinking about upgrading mine now.

How strange in that we ran most of the day together at very similar lap times and my brakes were fine.

Did you apply handbrake Alex after your session or did you allow brakes to cool first? This could have had an impact on brakes.

On the plus side glad to hear you got them sorted!

it will just be pad deposits due to running the pads over there Temp limit;

try 6 hard stops from 70 to 20mph let the brakes cool BUT don't stop with your foot on the brake;

The another 6 stops the same again let them cool BUT don't stop with your foot on the brake

and 1 more set of 6 stops;

Reason not to stop with your foot on the brakes as the hot pads will leave a deposition of brake material on the rotor , carrying out the 3 x 6 stops we are trying to clean the rotors.

let the brakes cool before parking the car

give that a go it may help

Cheers Mark.

How strange in that we ran most of the day together at very similar lap times and my brakes were fine.

Did you apply handbrake Alex after your session or did you allow brakes to cool first? This could have had an impact on brakes.

On the plus side glad to hear you got them sorted!

I'm pretty sure i didn't do anything silly to cause the problem, however the more you think, the more self doubt creeps in! As you say, I'm glad it's sorted now. I will continue to run these discs and see how they hold up. This of course means I need to do another track day to see if i can replicate the issue! If they go again I will look into upgrading.

Update. The vibration is slowly receding but deffo still there at high speed. My thinking is that if the discs were warped they wouldn't unwarp themselves do maybe it is pad deposit and maybe the car is so light (and so slow, lol) that it takes much longer than it would do to clean up compared to a heavier more powerful road car...

I will second Marks@Abbeys comments on pad deposits. 99% of the time it is pad deposits as its very hard to warp discs these days.

I had the same issue with track pads. It happened after I got the brakes to smoke on a track day session. The next session it cleared up after a bit of medium braking but came back worse later ni the day. Bit silly of me to go as crazy on the stock brakes really.

Im slowly worknig them down now, but it is going away.