chillismoke

What settings do you use on track?

You should use whatever you are comfortable with. If you're good with RWD control then you could go all off. My suggestion would be to go all on and if you find the car interfering then move up a stage. VSC Sport should give you enough slip to give experience but with safety net for a novice.

I turn everything off. 

When I was driving Keith's car today, with it being cold and a bit damp, especially this morning, I drove in sport mode. After all it's not my car. It was only this afternoon that I realised that I needed to turn everything off to bring the car alive. However his car was really holding back the throttle as soon as the traction control light came on, which transpired to be a massive hindrance. These are not cars that bite you really, they are very progressive. 

However, riding with people today, all of which either had everything on or sport mode, you could still go round at a decent lick. 

Obviously it's a matter of experience and how comfortable or should I say how good you are at recovering a slide. Once you learn to do it, you won't drive with aids on again I reckon. 

It's personal choice really with what you feel comfortable with in the conditions at that time... For example; my first TSS I was nervous so had it in sport on a dry warm track, turned it all off for the next run and went 2 seconds quicker even though I was probably holding the throttle back a little because I was able to manage it better without intervention.

Today at Oulten however I kept it in sport to have that safety net purely for reason that if I did spin out I wasn't in control of anything following that could collect me, at least with sport you could manage to pull over if necessary as all wouldn't be lost

The thing is, though did you make that comment after going in the car with Dave? I know Dave is new to track driving, so it's a big jump to turn everything off (though I remember when I started driving on track I didn't even have the option of traction control, let alone stability control!). But, I would honestly say, Jamie, that you could progress further with everything turned off, you obviously have the talent and car control. 

No I made that comment because someone made it too me at Snetterton and it worked, at which point id never been on track either, it was opposite conditions though in all fairness which I didn't take into account properly.

It's more about the throttle management in these cars, not the brakes cutting in, in sport it will still pull the throttle before the light flashes. Even though it's not saying it is, it's still trying to intervene.

I usually turn everything off for sprint, I am happy to except putting my own car off, but potentially causing damage to others no... Whether I would've caught any of the wide runs, especially old hall hall today I wouldn't know, if anything I feel I turned too sharp into into them, would've either over corrected and span or spun out the other way

I agree with Lauren that once you can control a slip you won't go back, i've managed to control it a few times and it's a much better feeling then the car cutting the throttle unnecessarily with trc on. That said i myself want to do a bit more work with slide control until I am comfy to have it off all the time. 

Mike, the first 3 sessions yesterday I had all aids on and was having a laugh anyway, I didn't even consider putting it into sports mode until Lauren suggested it when she was in with me for run 4, the only time I have ever driven with it all off was on the car limits driving training at Blyton (span 3 times) and at Will's suggestion at the TSS pre-season at Barkston Heath (had a massive spin onto the grass).

So I know I can get in trouble with it all off, so I don't risk it. If you are having a laugh anyway what does it matter ?

Alec