Lauren

Rav4 2.2 DCI Invincible Review

I had this car from RRG Macclesfield as a courtesy car for five days. 

It's the top of the range Rav4 with 4WD the 2.2 DCI engine (149bhp/251 lb/ft torque) and this car had leather heated electric seats (electric adjustment for the driver) and sat nav with the new Toyota Touch & Go two system which has the bonus of DAB radio. 

Firstly I'm not going to try and compare it to my daily driver, a modified, lowered GT86 with quite serious suspension geommetry, but it was interesting to drive for a week and after five days it grew on me if I'm honest. 

So firstly looks. Well it's a mid sized crossover vehicle, so think mid-sized saloon with a higher ride height and bigger wheels and 4WD. In a way, it looks bigger than it is, in a similar way to a Hilux Surf does. Driving the car, it doesn't feel hugely wide on the road, it's more the length that you notice. 

This car is fitted with a reversing camera and parking sensors on the front. These are useful when parking, but the sensors are a little conservative and will carry on beeping when you are stationary which is a minor annoyance if like me, you occasionally find yourself waiting in the car with the engine running and the sensors keep beeping whilst you are sitting there. Thankfully, you can turn them off, but it would be better if once the handbrake is applied they stopped beeping. 

The interior of this car is the range topper Invincible with leather which certainly lifts the interior. The leather swathe across the centre of the dashboard is nice, though all plastics surrounding this including the dashboard are hard to the touch and the gold shiny plastic surround does not really give a quality feel. It's almost like the leather serves to highlight this. As one might expect, that said, it's all rather well put together, despite not having the feel of say it's German counterparts. 

This brings me to the layout of the dashboard and ergonomics. The heater controls feature dual climate control which is handy to the touch, though in automatic mode no fan speeds are displayed, which does seem unusual, as the middle part of the display remains blank. It does work very well though and there are no complaints in this respect. I didn't quite manage to work out what the fast/soft button actually did, but there were three settings, soft, medium and fast. I left it in medium but did not notice a difference in the other modes when I tried them. 

The seats were comfortable with electric adjustment for the driver including lumbar support which was nice. They seemed comfortable and there were two settings for the heated seats. The heated seat buttons were below the leather dash swathe which was fine for me, but if you were of the type that likes to be in kissing distance of the windscreen, I wonder if you might never find them. There is also a 'Sport' button here which sharpens throttle response and also gives more weight to the steering. 

The steering feel is fine though, it's not as sharp as a more focused car, but that you can feel the weight of those big wheels and tyres means I'm certainly getting some feedback. Throttle response is typically diesel, it's always going to be a little dull as you find that you inevitably tend to flex your right foot to build boost and get the turbo spinning before that surge of torque pushes you down the road. 

Talking of which, the engine gives ample torque and is good around town and also on the motorway where it can increase speed easily once you are used to flexing your right foot a bit more than you would with a petrol engine. The car has a 0-60mph time of 9.6 seconds according to the stats and this is none too shabby. The gearing is typically long, so I found that 6th gear wasn't used until the car is over 55mph. Around town an indicated 30mph is a bit inbetween 3rd and 4th gear, though a true 30mph is 4th gear. This can mean that when you are behind someone who is driving a little under the limit 3rd gear is a better option. I did find though that I changed gear less as a result which wasn't a bad thing. 

In respect of handling, it's fairly neutral with a leaning towards understeer. This is perhaps what is to be expected. The ride is a little busy at lower speeds, though it's no issue, but really the car works it's best on the motorway and at higher speed where it feels well damped and stable. I did get the opportunity through necessity to drive the car in light snow, which brought the active four-wheel-drive system into play. I must say I was impressed with this as it just gave a go anywhere confidence in difficult conditions which was reassuring. It would be improved further with winter tyres. The car also features a differential lock, though I never had a need to use it! 

In respect of economy I improved the average figure of 36mpg to 39.9mpg which is not bad for quite a heavy car that doesn't have the best drag coefficient. 

Here's a picture (sorry for it being blurred) of the blue illumination of the dashboard. I must say I wasn't sure about this, but I did get used to it. I should add that the in-car stereo was more than up to the job and with some light tweaking of the settings gave a good overall sound. 

Overall the car grew on me. It was comfortable, easy to drive with light controls and felt secure in it's handling. In tough conditions it inspired confidence and was a nice place to be. Oh and I musn't forget it's party trick which is the electrically opening and closing tailgate! :)

I admit, jumping out of my 86 into that, was a bit of a shock, but the longer I spent with it, the more I liked it. 

Getting back into my car was quite an experience. I was struck at how much more grip the winter tyres have on my car. I might have underestimated them! 

Nice review Lauren, my wife has a 2014 VW Tiguan, great car, we both love it. Due to the issues I had with my gearbox on the 86 we didn`t even bother with looking at the Rav4. The pics of the interior above tell me it was a wise decision.

Nice and accurate write up Lauren :)

I have one too, completed 4,000 miles and its used as a general workhorse / family car, tows the trailer very well too :)

Mind you my one has black leather, I couldn't stomach the beige!

1 massive improvement we have made is an addition of a tuning box which takes power to 190bhp and torque to just over 300 lb ft. I must say it really brings the Rav4 alive and it actually needs it's 4wd system on the exit of greasy roundabouts which adds to the fun :)

I must time it 0-60 and see ....

Cheers

Adrian

Interesting.... but way beyond my "additional car" budget, alas...

I've been viewing second hand Kia Sedona's and Hyundai Santa Fe's during the past few days.

I'm looking for a daily drive (rather than use the GT86 which is racking up the mileage) which will double up as a soon-to-be- two grandkids safety barge ... plus there's the possibility that I might use a trailer to take my car to/from TSS and other trackdays, so I need a boot to take the bits..

That requires a 1500kg tow rating... so a 2.4l diesel would be about right... add the TDI tuning box and it takes it to another level.. heh..

Spec K

It's a 2.2 if that makes a difference, Keith! ;)

The Rav does have a lot of space in the rear, so it's good in that respect. It loses out boot space on the downside to it's rivals though. Depends if you put your kids in the back or the boot I suppose!  :P

See if you can beat the stock 9.6 seconds, Adrian!

After putting this review on IMOC-UK as well (the other club I help run), one of the guys there ordered one in the same spec today! 

His name is George and I reckon he'll be coming for a remap, Adrian. :)

Interesting.... but way beyond my "additional car" budget, alas...

I've been viewing second hand Kia Sedona's and Hyundai Santa Fe's during the past few days.

I'm looking for a daily drive (rather than use the GT86 which is racking up the mileage) which will double up as a soon-to-be- two grandkids safety barge ... plus there's the possibility that I might use a trailer to take my car to/from TSS and other trackdays, so I need a boot to take the bits..

That requires a 1500kg tow rating... so a 2.4l diesel would be about right... add the TDI tuning box and it takes it to another level.. heh..

Spec K

What? You still have a budget after what you've done to your GT86?

OMG Lauren.... You wrote a book. I literally considered Rav4 for myself buy stuck in between land cruiser, discovery and rav4. İ guess I'll wait a bit more but thank you for this brilliant review. I guess Rav4 impressed you a lot which made you write this review. Thanks one more time...