Ztox

Hi all, new member :)

Hi Guys,

I signed up to another forum also but thought I'd say hi here as this seems like the "proper drivers' club"  :P

I confirmed my order of a pearl white aero with full leather last week and have been given an ETA of mid-April, it's going to be one long wait!

My 'last' car was a Megane R26 which I sold towards the end of 2013 and I'm currently driving a 2001 Focus 1.6 that my mate (who isn't interested in cars) sold me as a runaround for a few hundred quid a few months ago.

I was going to look at importing either a Supra or, more likely, an S15 Silvia as my goal was to go RWD. I started looking at GT86s again though when getting a new car became more appealing than getting one that's at least 12/13 years old with minimal history.

When it was announced last year that the Aero pack was coming to the UK there was only one option of car in my mind and here I am.

I did take one out on a test drive to give it a chance to put me off but it blew my mind quite frankly lol.

Looking forward to getting involved a lot more once I have the car in my hands :)

As a side, has anyone had any experience with Toyota's smart cover and wheel & tyre insurance? Are they a total waste of money or...? Maybe worth getting if one has OCD?  :P

Cheers guys

Dan

Hi Dan!,

Welcome to the club, of course it's nice to see you picked the best colour and I had the same idea as you, new cars became appealing. I'm addicted to the smell of them :)

No experience with the smart cover, what does it cover?

Welcome to the proper club Dan :D Congrats on the purchase and best of luck with the wait.....that is a bit of a wait! I look forward to hearing your thoughts after you've actually got your car and driven it some, especially coming from a Megane Sport as I came from a Clio 200 Sport and was on the verge of buying a Megane Sport (luckily the dealer messed me around and I opted for the Toyota instead). Got any plans for the car once you get it? Mods? Track days etc?

Welcome aboard Dan,

Nice to see another white car on the forum!!

If you were planning on buying a Supra, you WILL mod this car!! So, is it gonna be Turbo or Supercharger??

Welcome aboard. Sorry I've not heard of the 'Smart cover', so I've no idea what it is, but guess it must be insurance if you have a puncture of kerb a wheel? Given the low incidence of punctures I'm not convinced it makes sense. 

I think April will be a good time as the events are starting to come into full swing for spring and the summer, so there will be plenty going on. :)

Thanks for the welcome guys :)

The smart cover is basically insurance so that any body damage can be repaired for free as long as it's under 30cm in diameter, only on one panel and rated at under £500 worth. You're allowed up to £3,000 worth in the 3 years. The alloy insurance is a similar thing but for just the wheels. To be honest I might just try and get them taken off anyway, take the risk and save the money. I get the feel it may be more hassle than it's worth to get a claim and the car will worth enough that I'll be happy to sort anything should it happen anyway.

Keethos - I will certainly give my opinion in due time, how was the 200? I love the look of those things. I had a similar scenario to you back then. I was after my dream car (turbo RWD Japanese coupe, not too fussy lol) but because I hadn't driven a turbo at that point I settled for cutting that out and had a deposit on a lovely 350Z with a private seller but he pulled out and gave my deposit back. A couple of my mates had 182s and were trying to get my to form the 'Clio Trio' with them and after the 350 incident I caved in, kind of. I desperately wanted either my first turbo car or my first RWD car so I went for the R26 to make at least an RS trio haha.

I thought the GT86 would feel sluggish compared to the Meg, but after my test drive I wasn't so sure, seemed plenty nippy enough for now although driving a 125k mile 1.6 Focus since the Meg probably helped there  :D

I've never been sure on track days in my own cars as I'm too anal and I don't like the idea of thrashing my car 10/10s for an extended period of time as it will be my only car.

I guess all the turbo mentions answers your question Nigel  :P Has to be turbo for me, I love the feel of boost and the sounds... oh the sounds.

Will be putting a turbo on but will probably wait a while or until I've finished paying for the car at least and had a few years with the warranty intact as I can't afford those sort of risks. Beforehand I'll do all that I can afford that the warranty will allow for  :)

I agree Lauren, great timing as the worst of the weather should be gone too. It's also my birthday in May so I'm calling it a bit of a birthday present to myself lol

Indeed Rice, I'm wondering if my one will be the first I see in the flesh (metal)..

Cheers for the tip Rob, I'm going to try and get those bits removed from the order. Always bloody rushing in to things, me! It doesn't affect my car build so hopefully won't be a problem.

Hmmm... Musketeer. I've heard about you   :lol:

The 200 was awesome mate, really enjoyed owning her and was very close to keeping her, but I got what Chinese people call and ichy arse and wanted a change, so looked at the Megane 265 as an 'upgrade', spec'd out what I wanted and what was great at the time was that Renault was offering 0% interest over 4 years (with a 30% deposit). I thought brilliant, it'll be silly not to upgrade, but when I came to order the car, the sales guy turned around and said actually, we'll need a 50% deposit instead which I just didn't have, so I said screw that, I'll look else where. But then I spotted the 86 so I went for a test drive in one.

Got to say, it didn't wow me, especially since I was test driving an auto at the time but I really liked the look and the idea of it. To me it was more of a side step rather than an upgrade as on paper, the 200 and the 86 are very similar, same weight, same power just RWD instead. But after getting it and driving it properly, I've grown to really love it and feel how different it is to the 200. In the Clio, you throw her around the corner and it just sticks on rails and goes around it, where as in the 86, it'll stick to begin with but then you can start to play with the car by adjusting the throttle and just makes the car more lively and entertaining to drive.

So definitely not regretting not getting the Megane now, plus I find the seating position in the 86 a million times better than the Megane, the Megane felt a lil awkward as you had little foot room and the handbrake being on the other side, you can really tell that it's a left hand drive at heart and was bit bias to it.

I actually looked briefly at a 350z but decided against it purely down to 1 thing and no joke, it was because it didn't have Keyless entry and push start, after having that in the Clio, I'm spoilt and refuse to get a car without it now though the 370z has it but for some reason didn't even consider one, idea why

You tart  :P  :lol:

Renaultsport cars are VERY good at what they are made to do, built pretty horribly etc etc but damn are they good at b-roads. I only had the TC on in the Megane when I forgot to turn it off because the LSD in it was so good. So much so but even with TC on I only ever saw the light a few times in the dry. I could just point the car round 90+ degrees corners and literally put my foot down in 2nd and the thing would just rip you round the corner, absolutely hilarious. Saying that though, I already know the GT86 is going to be more fun but I think that's partly down to my unrelenting desire to go RWD.

I must admit that while I like the Clio 200s I was never a fan of the 250/265 shape Megane. I just don't really like new cars me, the 86 is a rare exception. It's funny, because I see everywhere one of the complaints with the 86 is that it looks like it was designed in the 90s but that's one of the things that's drawn me in. I can own a 90s Jap coupe that is brand new in 2015?! Sign me up I say!  ;)