nickfrog

Can't see my brake pad wear

Hiya,

With most car, I find it easy to assess how much friction material is left on the pads, with a torch even through the wheel spokes.

On the GT86 even when the wheels were off I couldn't tell as the caliper seems to "wrap around" the pads.

Or is it because they are very low ?

I don't really want to remove the calipers.

Is it normal that I have no visibility or just the sign of advanced wear ?

I couldn't see any sensors either.

Thanks for any clarification.

Nick

Easiest way is just take one bolt out form the bottom of the top caliber. And loosen the top one. This then lets you just rotate the caliber off over the pad. Enough to pull the pad out. 

Doesn't take long once the wheel is off. 

Cheers for that Jay. Do you know the torque setting for the bolt when I am done ?

Yeah it's actually pretty low! I was surprised when I swapped mine over and double checked a few times. But makes sense as it's only really holding it on and not given any force. 

26Nm for the Caliper Guide... Same for front and rear callipers... 

Highlighted in Yellow. First figure is the Nm Figure. We're looking at the top Yellow box....

8093455593_deeb991c81_c.jpg

How many miles have you done, Nick?

I got nearly 40K out of my stock discs and pads. 

11k, but I only bought it a couple of months ago so hardly any of the mileage is mine. I don't know if the previous owner tracked it or not but based on your experience, clearly loads of life. The first service report at 5k miles stated 80% of material left but that may have been a guess rather than a measurement.

I am sure I'd would be find for road use for a while even with half the material but as the track season is going to start and because oe pads can be marginal, I'd rather have a lot of material for obvious heat dissipation reasons (every little helps!).

I'll have a loog in the calipers and report back. 

Thx everyone and particularly Jay for posting the torque data !!!

11k is nothing really. I wouldn't worry too much. I was told I had used 15% at 10k service so it's probably about right.

I'm light on my brakes though. Even if you're the last of the late brakers you'll get North of 20k.