LarsB

Problems with "cold" 2. gear

Hi all

The last few days I have been experiencing some difficulties with the manual gears on my new GT86.

When the car is cold, I have problems getting from 1. to 2. and often have to skip the 2. gear, and go to 3. - even in low revs. When the car gets warmer, I can shift to 2. gear.

Also I think that shifting in to 2. has a "crunchy" feeling that I don't get from the other gears.

The car has run about 2500 Km by now, so it is fairly new  :)

Anyone else who had this?

I think everyone experiences it. Really it's just the nature of the car. I find that after a couple of minutes it's fine. If I want to get it in cold, then I may take a couple of goes. But it's not that bad really, it's changing down from 3rd to 2nd that is the issue rather than changing from 1st to 2nd.

In the UK, it's not often freezing, so I'm guessing for you it's more of an isuse. I wonder if there is a cold weather gearbox oil option?

If you want to call it a problem yes, though as Lauren says, it's the nature of the gearbox. If it's completely stuck and crunching badly then there are remedies that can be done.

Some car's have the problem others don't, why?.

Mines not too bad at all really and is fine after a few mins, nothing to spoil my fun though.

All the cars i've been in have this "Issue" just some people are more anal about it than others, 9/10 the issue is the drivers brain! Expecting it to be as smooth as the average car, the reality is it isn't and isn't meant to be.

My experience is the same as Lauren's - 1st to 2nd is fine, 3rd to 2nd is not for the first few mins of driving

My opinion is the same as Rob's - who cares? Don't go over 2nd for the first few mins and everyone's happy :D

All the cars i've been in have this "Issue" just some people are more anal about it than others, 9/10 the issue is the drivers brain! Expecting it to be as smooth as the average car, the reality is it isn't and isn't meant to be.

There is nothing wrong with my brain, Rob!  :)

It is just the first time I have a car that does not go in to 2. gear when starting out in the cold mornings - but it seems like it just the way the gearbox is made, so I'll live with it.

And NO it does not take the fun out of the car, and I enjoy every second I drive it. I'm even so lucky that I from livingroom windows have a direct view of the car all day long, and I never get tired of looking at it...

Guess thats love?  :wub:

No there isn't anything wrong with your brain Lars, as you have just accepted its the way the car is. So many keep going on and on about it though. There are a few things Toyota can do but it will never be smooth.

I had my lever replaced to a newer part. As your car is new I would assume it has this? They also adjusted my recerse locking plate and topped up the gearbox oil. These are things you can speak to them about.

No there isn't anything wrong with your brain Lars, as you have just accepted its the way the car is. So many keep going on and on about it though. There are a few things Toyota can do but it will never be smooth.

I had my lever replaced to a newer part. As your car is new I would assume it has this? They also adjusted my recerse locking plate and topped up the gearbox oil. These are things you can speak to them about.

I guess the lever is a new part, but I am not sure.

I wrote the dealer on the the 25.12, but they are closed for the holiday - just want to let them know of my experience with the gears, and get their feedback.

But I do just now skip 2. gear the first few minutes, and everything is then fine...

Lars

When we buy a GT86/BRZ we buy it "out of the box".

Toyota know (and have chosen to ignore so far) the problems with gearbox/vvti that have bugged many. But Euro spec cars are different

A little websearch would have identified for you these problems (why is it the Toyo salesmen don't declare these to customers?)

Keep pressure on your local Toyo dealer... they will upload the "Technical Notes" and start to understand that you  are the 'MAIN GT86 MAN'  in the country!

Spec K

Thankfully I only had problems when very cold in getting into 1st, but 2nd was always fine (and it is 2nd that is the problem for a lot of the boxes, but by no means all). Since getting the very cheap Whiteline positive shift bracket fitted in September at my first service this has now disappeared completely and it is now the smoothest gear box I've ever had the pleasure to use I'm glad to say. RRG also swapped under warranty to the newer stick design and that also no longer buzzes at high revs. I would say that if anyone with a MT hasn't got the Whiteline, for £40 it has the be the best bang for buck mod you can get for this car.

But for the OP, there is plenty of discussion on the '2nd gear issue' on other forums and there have been some successful solutions in terms of adjustments and gear box oil changes that have helped greatly. Get as much of this info as you can and return to your own dealer with some suggestions for them  :)

Rob, not all cars have the problem remember the poll on the other forum, there were quite a few "silky smooth" boxes checked.

I think all the gearboxes have this issue at least to some extent, though I do wonder since having the Whiteline gearbox mount in my car that it makes it easier to push it in to second gear when it's a little stiff. 

But as I've said before this is for most a very minor issue really. 

What captain duff said! The whiteline shift mount is a good lil mod to get, makes the gear shifts feel even more positive and has helped my slightly difficult 2nd gear but like others have said, wasn't an issue for me and it did go away once warm. I've heard that some got it really bad, it wasn't just because they were used to super smooth gears in the past but they did actually have a very difficult 2nd gear for some reason. I've also had the new bits to stop the gear stick buzzing at high revs.

Have just made an appointment with the dealership - they will try and adjust the gears, and try with a different gearbox oil with a different viscosity...

As told before, they do not have a lot of experience with the GT86 here in Denmark, but I hope that Toyota Denmark might point them in the right direction.

Could someone tell me where to find some online-information on the "Whiteline shift mount" mod.? Just so I might give the information to the dealer...

Thank you!

I will try and forward this info to the dealer - but I'm not sure if they want to install a 3. party part in a new car with warranty and all, but they will have the info....

You'd do better to forward my link to the whiteline site. That link doesnt work.

You're correct unfortunately Lars, I cant imagine they'll want to fit an aftermarket part, though they might fit it for free if you take it in? Especially if it works.

Depends on the dealer, many of us on this site are lucky to have a main dealer like RRG we can use and who will happily supply and fit a lot of things, but with something like the whiteline it would be easy to get yourself and get any local garage with a ramp to fit it for you - unless any future issue is directly linked to it then it won't void your warranty.

So the car is off to the dealership, and they are going to look into the "gearbox-issues" tomorrow.

I send them the link to the Whiteline insert, but as written before, I dont think they are gonna use one of those, but it will point them in some direction of how the problem might be solved.

Maybe they will just try and use a different transmission oil with a different viscosity...