Lauren

Fitting Harnesses

For next year's TSS I'm toying with fitting a harness to my seat.

Question is, is the top isofix mounting point a viable attachment for the shoulder straps?

My thinking is that it'd keep the harness pretty horizontal to the seat which is good.

Obviously the lower mounts can just use eyebolts in the seat belt lower mounting points.

Thinking Takata as has to be done really.

Haha I've been thinking the same, but going down the harness bar route for the shoulder straps as I have never used the rear seats and probably never will.

I know horizontal is the best for the straps but whats the max angle you can go to?

Obviously has to be Takata :D

harnes31281981597.jpg

I assume you are just going 4 point? If so I'd recommend scroth as they have ASM (anti submarine) designed in to the harness.

I'd also do it properly with a harness bar at least - agency power is quickly removable but it's pricey at iver £500

Yes 4 point as no way to fix a 5/6 point with stock seats.  

I can't see why the Isofix wouldn't be a safe attachment, Rob as it's designed as a mounting point after all.

I know about the angles of the top harnesses, would guess that the isofix top mount would likely be in range though I'd have to try it really.

Sorry for the noob question but besides the harnesses holding you in for safety purposes, are they designed to really strap you in to minimise your body movement too? I.e. if one was to get the TRD knee pad things to stop your legs moving around high G corners, would strapping your body down help do the same thing of minimising the movement of your legs/knees too?

I'm not too sure that horizontal is good for the shoulder straps as they need to hold your body "down" in the seat when inverted. How about using the rear lap belt positions?

I'm also wondering how you'll use harnesses with stock seats? Assuming you have stock seats Lauren???

When inverted the lap belts are what hold you down. The shoulder straps serve to stop you moving forwards.

The picture I posted above is the official FIA standard for harnesses, you can see that is clearly states max angle of 45 degrees which is not recommended.

Doesn't the chart you posted also show that horizontal is not good? I don't think the belts would be at 45degrees if the rear lap belt positions were used?

I have built s few competition cars in my time on this planet, and have never put shoulder straps horizontal.

No it shows that between 0 and 10 degrees to be optimal.

I wouldn't personally fit harnesses without a properly designed harness bar at the very least, much like I wouldn't fit a fixed back bucket seat without a rear cage at least.

I'm not too sure that horizontal is good for the shoulder straps as they need to hold your body "down" in the seat when inverted. How about using the rear lap belt positions?

I'm also wondering how you'll use harnesses with stock seats? Assuming you have stock seats Lauren???

Horizontal for the top harnesses is what you want. If you clip them down into the passenger seat bases it will be a great way to potentially snap your spine in half in an accident. Not what you want really. 

I'm not sure how easy it is to put in and take out a harness bar. 

If it's a load of hassle I'll just leave it. Thought it would be easy to use the top isofix points though as surely they'll be easy strong enough?

No it shows that between 0 and 10 degrees to be optimal.

I wouldn't personally fit harnesses without a properly designed harness bar at the very least, much like I wouldn't fit a fixed back bucket seat without a rear cage at least.

How come you wouldn't go fixed back buckets without a rear cage? Seen it in a few oem cars - eg mk1 tt sport

Sorry Lauren, my bad. I hadn't realised the rear seats are so close to the front until I looked at mine.... Attaching the harness to the rear lap belt fixings would result in a very acute angle to the vertical.

I think there is a maximum weight for Isofix mounts as I used them in a Clio for my harness, the max weight was 40 kg/seat so 80kg in total. I only weigh 67kg so under this weight but I would suppose the weight of the seat may have an effect in a crash.

Where are the harness bars sold ?

How come you wouldn't go fixed back buckets without a rear cage? Seen it in a few oem cars - eg mk1 tt sport

If the car was to have a severe roll where the roof collapsed and I was harnessed in, I would probably end up paralysed. If using a normal 3 point belt then it's a bit better in the sense that it allows you a bit of movement, which might be the difference between walking away and not.

Because I track my car a lot I guess I am at higher risk than average joe of having a roll and that's why I personally won't compromise on safety aspects. If I didn't track etc then I probably would use buckets without a cage, but never buckets plus harnesses without one.

I'd also been told fitting harnesses to a car without a roll cage is a big no no. 

Like Lee said, if the car does roll you're in a seriously fixed position and probably going to get squashed. You can't roll forward or duck, and in a way you can no longer move to the impact of the roof if it was to cave in. 

Isn't there also some special ruling with regard to having a harness along with airbags??

As some of you will know, i had my name down for a 2014 GT3, but it fell through as they arent making any more.... anyway, I specc'd the clubsport pack with cage, harnesses, buckets and fire extinguisher. Interestingly the car would come with "Harness and fire extinguisher to be fitted by customer". I never found out why??

The seats are not really suited to a harness, think it's a lot of work to a road car and cost just for TSS. Different if you are making the car track only, although I am considering TA next year.