Lauren

Fitting Harnesses

Isn't there also some special ruling with regard to having a harness along with airbags??

As some of you will know, i had my name down for a 2014 GT3, but it fell through as they arent making any more.... anyway, I specc'd the clubsport pack with cage, harnesses, buckets and fire extinguisher. Interestingly the car would come with "Harness and fire extinguisher to be fitted by customer". I never found out why??

I'm not sure, but I know that in the RX8 I raced, that had a full cage and harnesses, bucket seats etc as you would expect of a race car. Standard steering wheel with airbag disabled.

The technical thing with a harness is that if it has a twist release buckle then it will not pass an MOT. That doesn't necessarily mean it isn't legal for the road though. Cars that come with harnesses as standard have a red PRESS button that will pass an MOT. Whether these cars have airbags is another matter, I was thinking abou Elises and the like here, but I can't honestly remember.

I would only use the harnesses on track really, it just helps keep you in position. The other option is one of those seat belt lock off things, but harness straps are better in that respect.

FIA regulations say the harness needs to be able to support a minimum load of 1,470 daN, which is 14,700 N, or (F = ma) 14,700N / 735N = Approx 20G for a 75Kg person if my calculations are correct.............

I found a specification on an Australian Government website which suggested that the ISOFIX top tether should be able to provide a maximum deceleration of 335m/s/s for a 21.4kg load, which results in a strength requirement of 7,169N (21.4 x 335 = 7,169 assuming that 335m/s/s is in fact 34G).

Therefore, the minimum specification for ISOFIX is only half as strong as an FIA harness. I haven't looked at the specification for standard seatbelt mountings so I can't say how ISOFIX compares with the standard seatbelt, but in my opinion, the tether / ISOFIX system is not designed to restrain adults and therefore is not a good place to mount a harness.

Interestingly in the FIA regulations for European Touring Cars it mentions that you can use the original rear seatbelt lap belt mounting points - I would imagine that would contravene the regulations about the downward angle of the harness, but I think I'd rather go with the CG Lock option for a quick and easy answer!!

More info needed now, having placed my entry for TA and have the regulations. The series is now governed by MSA rules and even in Clubmans class where you have to keep interior, they require a 4 point harness knowing there will be no cage.So the mounting points are more crucial now.

Ideas anybody ?

I remember seeing a thread on the ft86 site about mounting points and suggest using the C pillar as the best place for mounting the belts to get it at the right height

Where is that one mounting? struggling to work it out

on the B pillar I'd imagine with those 2 rods going down into the footwells somewhere from the middle for rigidity

I wanted to go down the harness bar route, but the options around were all so expensive. The Schroth Rallye 3's were the best choice for me at the time, as per @Tareim's picture. They work well :)

21 minutes ago, Paul said:

Not required for TSS though right?

No they are not, but I may do some TA and Hill Climbs this year. Need to be pinned in the seat :)

Also are those bars easy to take out if you do need to use the rear seat? I'm actually quite tempted. But I do very occasionally need to lift a kid and stick them in the back. My work you understand! Or maybe having a harness bar will give me a good excuse not to! 

1 hour ago, MikeB said:

More pics please Kev, how it mounts to floor and bottom mounts where belts fix too. 

Can you still drop back seats down?

Mike will get some more pics tomorrow, the rear seat only goes down about half way.