Engine Idle

Just a thought...

Before I go pulling my engine and doing remaps and fitting lightweight bits, is this normal?

If I leave my car idling from cold the revs drop off as the temp rises, which one would assume is normal. What I don't understand is that the revs will drop to a practically unsustainable speed, like 5-600rpm? The speed doesn't change for a while, then it rises again back to say 750rpm

When I spoke to Adrian tonight, he mentioned these cars have a very complex idling map strategy, but cant remember if I asked him about this issue? Is it normal?

Mine can drop a lil, especially when you have your heaters and what not on, and sometimes, even when warm, I could be sat at the lights and the revs may drop to about 5-600rpm and the car may judder ever so slightly but only for a brief moment. I'm assuming this is just normal....though could be wrong. People with the VVTI issue would often have the revs drop too far and stall if I remember correctly.

Thanks Keethos, sounds like its probably normal then?

It's never stalled, but sometimes seems like it might? It doesn't hunt, it just idles slow!! Wouldn't life be so much easier if it ran on downdraughts!!

That was certainly my experience, Keethos - queuing traffic on M1 (stop/start), then revs dropped almost to stall, engine firing on two cylinders, warning light came on... oil/water temperatures were normal... all sorts of little things stopped working (cruise control, autoblip to name but two)... I blipped the throttle to keep it running and it returned to normal tickover speed but the warning light remained on.

Next morning from cold there was no warning light and everything went back to normal.... diagnostic showed that VVT had failed on right cylinder bank..

Spec K

Thanks ever so for all the help there gents. So, my car is perfectly normal then... seems a little strange, but then, a lot about these cars is eh!!

Obviously my car has been extensively re-mapped, however if I turn the air con off, then the idle is rock steady.  With the air con on, the idle revs drop slightly every time the clutch on the air con compressor engages, as you would expect.

So, solution to the erratic idle issue - fit a turbo, and get Adrian to re-map you car properly :D  

Obviously my car has been extensively re-mapped, however if I turn the air con off, then the idle is rock steady.  With the air con on, the idle revs drop slightly every time the clutch on the air con compressor engages, as you would expect.

So, solution to the erratic idle issue - fit a supercharger, and get Mark to re-map you car properly :D  

You came around at last?

Alec,

Does yours drop only when the air con kicks in, or with the air con off as well?

No, I thought it was air con at first (esp as I drive with it on nearly all  the time) but I have deliberately turned it off as a test and still seen it happen. No obvious cause (e.g. turning lights on) but never had any issues because of it, as soon as you push the loud pedal the engine picks up fine.

Alec

I've set my tickover to 900rpm.. but that's because I've got torque converter drag to contend with and it drops to 700rpm when in drive... or, like everyone else, when the aircon kicks in..

Spec K

I've been donating my hard earned cash to Adrians race fund again today... I bought the full EcuTek package, so now I can set my idle where I want it.. :P ...with some help from Adrian of course.... :rolleyes:

My car had the air con on when dropping its revs, I hadn't realised it was in auto mode. :unsure:

BTW, what is the correct way to pronounce EcuTek?  Is it EEE SEE YOU Tek or ECCYOU-tek?

Damn fanboy! :P

Well earned loyalty  :D

Wouldn't it be great if this other tuner you mentioned went head to head with Adrian in Class F1 (with S/C obviously) in the TSS next year, to really show who is the best GT86 / BRZ tuner? burnrubber.gif

popcorn.gif popcorn.gif  popcorn.gif

Well earned loyalty  :D

Wouldn't it be great if this other tuner you mentioned went head to head with Adrian in Class F1 (with S/C obviously) in the TSS next year, to really show who is the best GT86 / BRZ tuner? burnrubber.gif

popcorn.gif popcorn.gif  popcorn.gif

Well, considering Adrian has specifically built a race gt86 and Mark has merely fitted the charger for road going purposes as a demo it's not exactly the greatest comparison of the century is it? More-over, if Mark did compete he would clearly be in F2. Stick Adrian in Keiths car, that's a little fairer.. after all, Adrian tuned that ;)

As it happens there is no "best" tuner. Lets treat them as races, we are all equal  :lol: