GT86-Ian

New Road Tax Rules

The traditional paper car tax disc will be replaced by an electronic system in October.

The tax disc, which was first introduced in 1921, will cease to exist in paper form from October 1, with a new electronic system being put in its place.

Under new rules announced in the Autumn Statement last year, motorists will now have to register their car online to pay Vehicle Excise Duty, otherwise known as road tax. This can be done via Direct Debit on the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) website or at a Post Office branch.

Those who don't register for the tax, will be caught out by number plate recognition cameras which track each vehicle on the road.

The change mostly affects those buying or selling a used car.

Anyone who buys a used car will no longer benefit if there are months left on the tax disc, as the vehicle tax will no longer be transferred with the car. This means buyers will have to renew their tax disc straight away, or risk being caught out on the road in an untaxed car.

The seller of the vehicle is responsible for informing the DVLA of a change of ownership, otherwise they could face a possible £1,000 fine. Thiscan be done by filling out a V5C form and sending it to the DVLA.

Vehicle sellers will get an automatic refund for any full calendar months left on the vehicle tax.

This is a huge change and vehicle owners and drivers need to be aware of the rules. A driver, not registered owner, can be issued a non-endorsable fixed penalty for driving an untaxed car. An owner can be fined £80 for using an untaxed vehicle (one not registered off the road) and can becharged any back tax.

Mr Watters said it was important all vehicle owners and motorists did their utmost to establish whether their vehicle was taxed or SORN’d (declared off the road) before driving the car.

Julie Daniels, head of motor at comparethemarket.com, said that the removal of the tax disc, which will in turn eliminate tax dodgers from the road, "should have a positive impact on premiums".

The paper element of the driving licence, which accompanies the credit card size photo-card, is also due to be axed in January 2015.

Will the system track "every" car on the road?! Highly doubt it, but would be awesome to get some of the tax-dodging bastards off the road

It's not even that expensive. A lot of my friends moan about road tax every year - even if you're in the highest bracket it's a case of saving £40 a month...not a hard task!

This is a good thing I feel, my concern is how can I ensure my mates car is taxed before I drive it if there is no physical disc to see anymore? Surely for them to fine me the data must be available?

Julie Daniels, head of motor at comparethemarket.com, said that the removal of the tax disc, which will in turn eliminate tax dodgers from the road, "should have a positive impact on premiums".

That implies the ANPR cameras can't check for tax currently which I thought they could? I doubt it'll have a positive impact on insurance premiums either. Hopefully if there are cameras for tax dodgers, it also checks insurance so we don't have people paying tax but not insurance.

Also seems a tad harsh to give someone a fixed penalty for driving the car. Hopefully that "can be issued" is correct and if the driver was told it was taxed then nothing happens.

Seeing as this is coming up, does anyone know if you can remove your tax disc in october or do you still need to display it until it expires and then switch to online?

That implies the ANPR cameras can't check for tax currently which I thought they could? I doubt it'll have a positive impact on insurance premiums either. Hopefully if there are cameras for tax dodgers, it also checks insurance so we don't have people paying tax but not insurance.

Also seems a tad harsh to give someone a fixed penalty for driving the car. Hopefully that "can be issued" is correct and if the driver was told it was taxed then nothing happens.

Seeing as this is coming up, does anyone know if you can remove your tax disc in october or do you still need to display it until it expires and then switch to online?

Currently ANPR doesn't because there is no database, you would have to display your current disc until it runs out.

I'm sure you'll be able to check on the DVLA website Rob.

That's good then :)

Damnit, only just ordered my new tax disc :(

Hang on...

From 1 October 2014, the paper tax disc will no longer need to be displayed on a vehicle windscreen. If you have a tax disc with any months left to run after this date, then it can be removed from the vehicle windscreen and destroyed. Customers with a Northern Ireland address will still need to display their MoT disc.

from https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

Edited by Mike

You still have to tax your car, it just means it's all done online (or post office) with an option to pay monthly and with better tracking than just a piece of paper in your window. When the date comes around your vehicle will still be taxed until your renewal date but you don't have to display the disc anymore.

If you want to check if a car is taxed/MOT'ed before getting into it you can use this: https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

This is old news that was originally released around the beginning of this year IIRC.

Surely everyone taxes their car online anyway?

Can't wait for this new system, makes perfect sense. Also it's much better for buying used cars, none of that problem when it comes to selling of putting tax on etc.

Good riddance to the tax disc I say. Can't wait to remove it from the car even if it does have an expiry of 31/07/15! :)

This is a good thing I feel, my concern is how can I ensure my mates car is taxed before I drive it if there is no physical disc to see anymore? Surely for them to fine me the data must be available?

You details are important in this case I don't think, your mate would be held accountable, so weather he's driving it or your driving it, if it's not taxed, because it's his car he gets fined right?  

You details are important in this case I don't think, your mate would be held accountable, so weather he's driving it or your driving it, if it's not taxed, because it's his car he gets fined right?  

It says the Driver, not the registered owner will be given a fine.

So it does.....but how can they tell?  Is it going to be one of those "was this you driving, if not name the driver" forms like you get if your vehicle was caught speeding or jumping the lights?

So it does.....but how can they tell?  Is it going to be one of those "was this you driving, if not name the driver" forms like you get if your vehicle was caught speeding or jumping the lights?

Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994
31A Offence by registered keeper where vehicle unlicensed
(1) If a vehicle registered under this Act is unlicensed, the person in whose name the vehicle is registered is guilty of an offence.

So both registered keeper + Driver (if not same) are guilty of the offence. (Like allowing somebody un-insured to drive awards you points)

That implies the ANPR cameras can't check for tax currently which I thought they could? 

They can indeed, the DVLA have cars with camera's (Example) specifically checking tax.