forge197

Tyres and Wheels

Ooo mine are 32 or 30. Maybe change it to 28 then. I cannot afford alloys anymore. I'm going to get new springs in August. About an inch lower. Is that what do you mean by "uprate your suspension"?

Uprating your springs will mean your dampers may feel underdamped. Wtih a heavy wheel this may make your problem worse or at least it should do. Uprated dampers matched to the springs taking into account your heavy wheels is what you want really.

30 or 32 coldness I meant. Apart from that maybe there is an issue with that tapatalk but I was asking about dampers. Are they shock absorbers? Or springs? Who's gonna match or how? I can't afford wheels anymore as I already bought mine not so long ago. I'm really confused now

30 or 32 cold I meant. Apart from that maybe there is an issue with that tapatalk but I was asking about dampers. Are they shock absorbers? Or springs? Who's gonna match or how? I can't afford wheels anymore as I already bought mine not so long ago. I'm really confused now

Aren't the v105's more grippier too?  So getting them on stock suspension would also not work too well no?

Teg, Keith is suggesting trying the car at around 28psi cold so you'll get around 30-32 psi once it's warmed up but don't forget, that's Keith running on 17", since your running 18" you might need to tweak your pressure slightly to suit your comfort.

Aren't the v105's more grippier too?  So getting them on stock suspension would also not work too well no?

There's quite a bit of difference between V105s and AD08Rs. Having slightly more grippy tyres is a world away from trackday type ones.

Teg, Keith is suggesting trying the car at around 28psi cold so you'll get around 30-32 psi once it's warmed up but don't forget, that's Keith running on 17", since your running 18" you might need to tweak your pressure slightly to suit your comfort.

As Steve points out, quite a difference between a performance road tyre and a track orientated tyre. 

It's okay messing about with pressures but they will increase less on the road than they will on track for obvious reasons. 

So I want to avoid the squirmy feel of the Goodyears, at various points of the day they look like this (pic below) after a session at Millbrook and 160miles around Anglesey

I'd prefer not to do the suspension and tyres due to cost and I like the height and ride as is, appreciate I could get adjustable of course but I have no issue with how it rolls/handles as I have thicker ARB's and the picture show on track is fairly flat, just need to loose the squirm :)

The left front is the worst, the other is front right.

2082159A-ADA7-4E9A-A31C-57A5DFEE30E1_zps

They are only three or four months old, the one on the left bothers me most not sure how much wear the area can take, not something that one wants to consider when commit to a corner :)

I really wouldn't worry about it, doesn't look bad at all to me. 

30 or 32 coldness I meant. Apart from that maybe there is an issue with that tapatalk but I was asking about dampers. Are they shock absorbers? Or springs? Who's gonna match or how? I can't afford wheels anymore as I already bought mine not so long ago. I'm really confused now

Dampers are dampers. 

Springs are shock absorbers. Most people (I blame the Americans) call dampers, shock absorbers when they are nothing of the sort. Confusing eh? ;)

Tbh there is probably not much you can do without costing yourself a lot of money. You may as well play around with tyre pressures and see if that helps. 

Your wheels are very heavy indeed. I guess the answer would be uprated dampers (and likely springs) or simply lighter wheels, which would be cheaper I would estimate. 

Lauren - I would certainly think of uprating springs for (relatively) heavy wheels but I'm not sure I'd stiffen up dampers as well.. I would hedge my bets and  go adjustable dampers, even if the car was solely for road use..

If I recall correctly you have downrated your front springs - is this because your Rays are relatively light?

Spec K

Lauren - I would certainly think of uprating springs for (relatively) heavy wheels but I'm not sure I'd stiffen up dampers as well.. I would hedge my bets and  go adjustable dampers, even if the car was solely for road use..

If I recall correctly you have downrated your front springs - is this because your Rays are relatively light?

Spec K

My springs are significantly stiffer than stock, Keith. 5/6kg versus 3/4kg of standard. I went for a 5kg front spring rather than a 6kg (as you have) for two reasons.

Firstly to have a reasonably proportional setup to standard which has a stiffer spring on the rear or softer spring on the front depending upon how you look at it and secondly because I wanted to ensure good weight transfer under braking to mobilise the rear end as it suits my driving style.

Having light wheels is always a win/win really but this didn't affect why I chose what I did.

But yes, agree adjustable dampers make sense and if the car is to be lowered, then stiffer springs will need to be the result anyway.

Might be a good idea to drive cars with different setups if you can, I have gone up in wheel/tyre weight and am putting coilovers on next week. But I prefer high levels of grip over the more nimble setup,. Just down to personal preference in the end. Also had a tyre delivered today for the OEM rims, keep them nice and ready should they need to go back on.

post-515-0-14715900-1405454748_thumb.jpg