smudge

Exhaust query

My new setup on the 86 is a big improvement, but just needs to be a tad louder in my opinion. It's made up of:

Borla UEL headers

Berk overpipe

Berk HFC

Invidia Q300 catback

The Invidia's midpipe has this larger section in it

HS12SSTG3T-3.jpg

Am I right in assuming that this would act as a silencer, and that with a straight pipe it would be a bit louder?

Looks like a silencer... but could be their version of a resonator...

My H&S straight pipe was certainly louder than the silenced version currently fitted.. very similar looking to the above..

Spec K

That is a resonator,replaced with a straight through pipe would increase the sound considerably.The system is designed to run with this,so changing for a straight through May sound terrible.Its a case of try it and see what happens.

This will not be applicable to you directly as each system is different, but as a rough idea, my Cobra non-resonated system with the 2nd CAT delete was reading about 108dBs, with a resonated pipe instead, I dropped down to about 89dBs.  108dBs IS LOUD!  Not to say that this will happen to your system, I'm sure this isn't the case with Millteks but it will make it louder, the question is how loud and you won't know that till you try it (and probably after it's been ran/carboned up as it will get a lil quieter once it's carboned up).  After more volume are we?

Post a sound clip if you do try it, would be curious to see the difference!

Will do a before and after ;)

This will not be applicable to you directly as each system is different, but as a rough idea, my Cobra non-resonated system with the 2nd CAT delete was reading about 108dBs, with a resonated pipe instead, I dropped down to about 89dBs.  108dBs IS LOUD!  Not to say that this will happen to your system, I'm sure this isn't the case with Millteks but it will make it louder, the question is how loud and you won't know that till you try it (and probably after it's been ran/carboned up as it will get a lil quieter once it's carboned up).  After more volume are we?

Let's put it this way. My old 350z was recorded at 110dBs TRACKSIDE at Castle Combe last year. That's a good 30ft away from the actual car  :lol:

Here's a video to give you an idea, although in real life it's obviously a lot louder

[TUBE]

[/TUBE]

I like volume, as long as it's not raspy or drones in the car on motorway journeys. From my experience, if you have quality parts like I did on the 350z and on the GT86 now, volume isn't an issue inside the car

Booked in to get a custom straight mid pipe made up on Saturday, will post videos after and see what we think  :)

110db is ridiculously loud and way too loud for the track and for the road. 

That would just drive you (and everyone else) nuts driving around with an exhaust like that. 

110db is ridiculously loud and way too loud for the track and for the road. 

That would just drive you (and everyone else) nuts driving around with an exhaust like that. 

Got black flagged at Castle Combe obviously, but never had any complaints 

GT86 won't be as loud

Got black flagged at Castle Combe obviously, but never had any complaints 

GT86 won't be as loud

Fair enough. I'm only a bit passionate about this subject as I used to run the pitlane for bookatrack and when we had cars that were as loud as your's going past me at full throttle made me want to kill the driver with a slow painful death as it was just incredibly painful and totally unnecessary. 

Still, glad the GT won't be as loud! :)

I still don't understand the need for noise limits at tracks

Yes, I understand the locals don't like it. But surely if you don't like it, don't like near a racetrack?!

Someone has to live there, and as much as I like cars I wouldn't want to live next to a track with no noise limits... If you upset the locals it can cause a track to be shut down. It's not only the locals but it can affect wildlife as well I guess. Tracks tend to be near rural land after all.

Someone has to live there, and as much as I like cars I wouldn't want to live next to a track with no noise limits... If you upset the locals it can cause a track to be shut down. It's not only the locals but it can affect wildlife as well I guess. Tracks tend to be near rural land after all.

I wouldn't mind living next to a track, as long as I get free access whenever I want!

As for wildlife, it can emigrate! 

Do it smudge go loud!!! I'm changing my resonated cat delete for a non res HFC. Also de cat manifold. With added air flow from a sprintex it Should kill the spiders living in my exhaust ; ) I'm partly deaf anyway due to explosions so I don't care lol the HKS trumpets oh yeah

I hardly track anyway and I'm all about presence looks and sound. Street cred. I'm no button more like a toretto! ; )

I just want to flash bang people in convertibles as i downshift past them he he hate convertibles grrr

Wanted to get a before and after of the exhaust. So these videos are with the resonated mid pipe that comes standard with the Invidia 

[TUBE]
[/TUBE]

[TUBE]
[/TUBE]

Tomorrow will be the same videos but with a straight (unresonated) mid pipe

Watch this space!