Lauren

Milltek cracked

I was at the TSS at Woodbridge and it was noted I had the loudest car at 90db. 

I had a look at it last Thursday night and it's cracked on the weld of the pipe to the rear box. About 20mm across on the bottom. 

I guess it's a stress point. 

Richard was straight on it and there is a new one on it's way, so will be sorted this week hopefully. :)

Yeah I'm convienced I can hear some air escaping down the side of the system but have had a look underneath and can't see anything. Will ask the Fensport lads to pass a knowing eye over it when they have the car on the ramp next month...

In case you haven't enquired Lauren, Milltek should provide a replacement system and cover labour costs...

I'm sure it'll be sorted, I'm not worried about that. :) If it helps I've done 40K+ miles now, so a fair bit of mileage. Pretty sure mine is cracked on the weld to the pipe. 

Yeah lots of complaints, i've noticed mine sounding a bit blowey. Didn't read as loud as yours though lauren. I'll take a look at mine when its on the ramp at abbey next

Wow, I hope they're replacing with a new design if this is becoming a common issue for people.  Do you lose any performance at all of is it just noisier?  I.e. loss of back pressure and what not?

Wow, I hope they're replacing with a new design if this is becoming a common issue for people.  Do you lose any performance at all of is it just noisier?  I.e. loss of back pressure and what not?

It's just a little bit noisier. You wouldn't be able to notice any difference in performance, not with a small crack. Who knows whether they'll change the design or not. Probably not I'm guessing. 

I think there has only been two failures in the UK. So not exactly many. Mine has also done a lot of miles too. Given the lifetime warranty I'm sure they'll want to address the issue.

tbh, it's still on my list because as Lauren says, they offer a life time warranty and if I was Milltek, and I was getting a bunch of warranty claims for poor welding I'd so something about it and pronto

sure, it's not great that it's happening but at worse, you're losing the car for a day or 2 while you get the replacement fitted

I have heard of a few doing the same thing in Europe. The cases I had heard were in Germany. Several conversations I've had with various people seem to think that one of the contributing factors is that the flex joint that is on the stock exhaust is not used and becomes a solid flange. There are some systems which retain the cone shaped gasket and the sprung bolts and some that do not and the ones that don't seem to be under more stress.

New one looks the same. I expect the new one will last another 40K, by then Milltek can replace it with a modified version.

Top service from Richard and the guys at RRG Macc. :)

I probably have the highest mileage Milltek on a GT in the UK.

Driving off to work, what a difference it makes to have it back as it was. Much, much better and I was able to have something of a blast on my way over through Leek. Could even smell it after a good ragging. :) 

I think just keep an eye on it. Any problems, you know it will get fixed with no issues.

I noticed a slight change in sound a little rattle on idle and when I was watching Mark's vids of Woodbridge the car sounded different when I launched it.

Looking at the welding on both the cracked exhaust, as well the the new one it is being replace with, I do not know when last I say such bad welding  :( .  Ther would appear to be no penetration at all.  Not good.

This is what a good weld should look like on stainless steel

http://www.proweldvic.com.au/uploads/images/img-home1.jpg