LFA

Not sure if serious

Interesting, but not convinced that's going to happen. We shall see. If there's a handling penalty then I'd say they wouldn't do it. Far easier to go forced induction really. 

Keith - it would add at least 50Kgs and, being further forward over the front axle, I reckon it would sorely try the front suspension setup. No way could you just uprate the front springs and expect it to handle the same...

It would make more sense to put the 6-pot, with f/i, into the FT1 - ho yus, defo 350hp - but I'm afraid Toyo are pretty fixated on hybrid techno for new stuff..

Spec K

I suspect this is nothing more than a local marketing exercise, if that. I can't see Subaru doing this sort of development in Europe.

Twin turbo H6; now that would be something.

The 6 cylinder boxer engine is a great motor though.

But, if you build a hybrid you can simply tune it to compliment the performance and/or the economy. Toyota already have the technology for it, it's just a matter of setup. 

It would make more sense to put the 6-pot, with f/i, into the FT1 - ho yus

I doubt they'd use a Subaru engine anyway.

I really cannot see Toyota following the MacFerrari hybrid technology, Lauren.

If Honda have, why not Toyota?

I really cannot see Toyota following the MacFerrari hybrid technology, Lauren.

It is far too expensive for mass production, I reckon...

Spec K

Keith - tell me who have been 2nd for the last couple of years at Le Man running hybrid tech? Its only time before it filters down to regular cars.

I cannot see the Toyo Racing hybrid technology filtering down to mass production. It is, in my opinion,  way too expensive.

Sure, you can 'lose' a (theoretical) £5grand cost on a P1 or a Ferrari - as a percentage of cost/sales price it's small and it is eminently suitable for a prestige vehicle that starts out with 300+bhp.

You cannot 'lose' £5grand cost on a range of 'family saloons' producing less than 150bhp (which is Toyo's bread-and-butter market). It represents a further 15% on sales price in a market where manufacturers strive to shave tenths of a percent off their cost base.

A £30grand Yaris / £35grand Prius producing 300bhp may be exciting for the TSS but I doubt it would find a mass market, where 'economy' is the prime mantra, not 'performance'.

No doubt Toyo will now launch a 'super hybrid' model and blow my predictions into the weeds....

Spec K

I'm sure Toyota will continue with it's hybrid technology in the economy market. Making a performance Prius or Avensis will not be on the agenda. 

But that doesn't mean we won't see it for the more expensive sports offering like the FT1 where people expect good performance and would like to see a performance hybrid. 

No doubt Toyo will now launch a 'super hybrid' model and blow my predictions into the weeds....

They have been looking into it for the Mk.2 GT86, I thought that was common knowledge?

If the new NSX has it, I'd be highly surprised if Toyota's flagship sports model doesn't. Electric motors produce torque much earlier than any combustion engine. The FT1 would have to directly compete with the NSX and that already has a very high standard to live up to.

I don't see it, Steve...

... the new NSX will be in excess of £100,000 (Evo magazine). That is Porsche/Audi R8 territory...

What makes you think the FT1 will be taking that on? It's way out of Toyo's comfort zone in terms of market and price... Honda need a flagship model to market to endorse its F1 engine involvement.

The original Supra didn't take on the NSX then, so why do it now? Yes, I could understand (barely) a 'hybrid' GT86 if Toyo were determined to keep it n/a - but at what cost per unit? Way above f/i....

Spec K

Spec K

The original NSX and Supra were direct price comparators. Both c. £60k I believe if you disregard the NSX-R. Very different machines but from the days where all the Japanese manufacturers had flagship cars all in that price band.... Mitsi GTO, Nissan Skyline GTR, Honda NSX and Toyota Supra.

I'll be shocked if the FT-1 comes out at a much lower price point to the NSX, but that's just how I think it will happen. If not it will fall into the price bracket of the GTR. If they've talked about a KERS type system in the GT86 then no doubt that's what they'll use on the FT-1.

I feel that they won't go FI on the 86, we'll see a larger engine or a hybrid.

Also, with the £ to Yen rate improving, hopefully we should see the cost of the cars begin to drop a bit.

Steve - EVO magazine reckon the NSX in the UK will start at £100,000. And it's not surprising, as they're using 'multi-material' for chassis plus McLaren backup on development.. and that ignores the 'R' and the 'T' variants which are promised.

Release Date 2015 give an estimated starting price for the 'new Toyota Supra', albeit in USA, of $40-50,000. Okay, so double it for UK, to include Toyo Europe's exorbitant markup and UK car tax  = still works out about two thirds the cost of a £100grand NSX... and cheaper than a GT-R...

Bring it on....

Spec K

I think it's silly for anyone to speculate, it's only a concept anyway isn't it? 

No, it's beyond conception, it's now gestating (as opposed to guesstating.. haha..)

Spec K