Twigman

OEMAUDIO+ CF400Reference install blog

Twigman I am looking to swap out my front speakers. Do you know the dimensions of the front speakers and tweeters etc. Do they need brackets?

6.5" door speakers on car specific(I believe) 3 point brackets but they can't be transplanted from one speaker to the next

1" tweeters in dash on car specific mountings, not sure if these could be transpalnted from one speaker to the next

Our cars seem not to have been fitted with the 4" mids on the dash even thought the grille looks like they should be there.

The permadrizzle has stopped!!! HURRAH!!

Plan to skive off early this pm to do the doors (at last).

Not driven the 86 all week (withdrawal setting in proper) as one of the doors is in a state of disassembly....

Sweet thanks Ian. What's a MDF baffle rob? Also have you heard of focal as a brand for speakers?

I also have Focal speakers really pleased with them, I think they are the same as Lauren's or I may have the lower model in the range, either way they sound great, I was a bit lazy and ordered these in for the baffle http://www.subaruaudio.net/subaru-speaker-spacers/subaru-brz-and-scion-fr-s/

The job is done and the audio is transformed!

The door speakers that came out are pants, flimsy 4ohm things with a feeble magnet and probably really poor sensitivity.

The door speakers that went in are 2ohm carbon weave coned things with relatively large magnets....

The sound is immense in comparison.

I'm in a band with one of the guys in Above & Beyond so I have a lot of trance in my collection (!!!).*

I stuck Group Therapy on the iPod and gave things a shot.

At volumes over 30ish on the T&G HU the rear view mirror goes blurry from the sub!!!!

At volume 40 earplugs are IMO necessary but there's no distortion!

Still no distortion at volume 50 but you can't hear yourself think and everyone will hear you coming!

The frequency response is clear across the whole range from car shaking sub 100Hz through to 14kHz+ (I am not a dog)

This kit , despite its slight difficulties in fitting (see posts above), is awesome!

The car should've come like this in the first place!

Right I think that's it for mods for me for now - I need to stop throwing money at the thing and just enjoy driving it!

*although that's definitely NOT what our band plays

Above and beyond are awesome !! If this makes their tunes sound even better that is enough motivation to get mine sorted.

Who out of A&B do you play in the band with ( carefully chosen words there lol )

Who out of A&B do you play in the band with ( carefully chosen words there lol )

Tony McGuinness - he plays guitar in our band

There are so many more comments/replys/people here!

Twigman actually STOLE the idea from me :P So for those who missed it here's my install (and yes I struggled with the nipple like Twigman/Ian, just not for as long)

Begins:

Well hello boys and girls, after lots of waiting and some more waiting it's finally here, the highly reviewed and well thought of audio upgrade for the FRS in the US has landed on my doorstep, and its the weekend tomorrow...

audio1.jpg

The reference series includes new door woofers, tweeters and a sub, this box has the new carbon fiber cone woofers and tiny neodymium magnet powered tweeters, as well as a poster!

audio2.jpg

audio4.jpg

Then under these we find the carefully wrapped sub, inclosure, amps and a wiring harness.

audio5.jpg

audio6.jpg

It looks very nice, very well made and study, the look and feel is very factory fresh and of original equipment styling. I just had to pop it in the boot and see how it looked...

audio7.jpg

Tomorrow, weather permitting, I'll get it fitted hopefully! Will take some snaps as I go, but the supplied instructions and YouTube install video cover everything pretty fantasti...

THE NEXT DAY!

It's in, done and working, only one niggle, but here's some pics. I didn't show everything as its identical to the YouTube videos and the supplied instructions are very good.

wknd1.jpg

Started with fitting the new tweeters, simply pry up and remove the old tweeters, the new ones fit exactly using original mounts and connections.

wknd2.jpg

Easy to get this trim off (it's already has the Senna velco treatment) but first time for me removing the radio, nothing massively of interest behind.

wknd3.jpg

wknd4.jpg

Rear connections of the standard UK head unit, for reference.

wknd5.jpg

I notice there are lots of cables that go though various grommets and things out of the car, what are they all for? Anyone know what this white cable is?

wknd7.jpg

Sub enclosure is fitted and a very good fit I have to say, looks like it's meant to be there. I also took the chance to apply some dynamat material to the inside of the car and wheel arch to dull some of the "tin" in the bodywork.

wknd6.jpg

This ends the "easy" side of things, once the back is set and in, the manual says to start putting things back, I wouldn't do this. The loom you get is perfect in length, but if you don't have it placed just right you'll find you are short at one end of another, I ended up having to remove the trim a second time to fix this.

wknd8.jpg

wknd10.jpg

wknd11.jpg

Stock speaker on left, new OEM+ on right.

Once fitted and wired up first impressions are very good, will have to give it a few days and see what EQ I like but a marked improvement over the original.

Annoyingly I have a rattle on the passenger door that I totally can't source, sounds like a screw rolling round somewhere, but I have no idea where, nothing in the door or the door card, but I'll get the bottom of it.

Nice install dude!  Does this rattle happen all the time or just when the bass is kicking?  Have you tried applying the door lock?  Mine seems to rattle just only when the bass is kicking and when I apply the door lock, you can hear the rattle either stops or has been heavily reduced.  I've not got round to it yet but mine seems to be rattling due to the door lock cable vibrating against something.  Or it could be something else entirely.... 

No this is a "stupidity" rattle, like.. I left a pen under the rear seats, only I can't find the dammed thing. The rear shelf rattles if its a bit bassy, but then you turn it up a bit more and I can't hear the rattle...

I swore it was on the door card, but had it off again and no sign of it, when you turn into a corner you can hear something rolling around on a surface, its passenger side, which is annoying as I didn't actually do anything on that side when fitting this kit.

Could it be the press stud on the passenger seat belt guide?

i have found that that rattles like a bastard.

you can hear something rolling around on a surface, its passenger side,

I used to hear something like that but only in left handers...drove me nuts then it just stopped one day.

well documented with pictures there. I must say this interests me but i already have some rainbow comp's lying around that I may aswell fit.

Welcome to the club by the way

Thanks guys :) Well I only made my first mini meet the other day, and lets say talk of this place was encouraging, compared to the other :P

But yes, I think Twigman and I are both very happy with the system, it isn't cheap, but I really wanted it took look like I hadn't done anything, but sound like it wasn't come from a paper loo roll!

I did like the paniced PM's from Twigman though, sorry about the delay buddy, I was out the country :D And I'll report back if, no when, I find the rattle!

Good work, James. :)

I'm very interested to hear how it will sound. I tried stock, JBL but went the whole hog for an aftermarket system in the end, junking all the OEM stuff. I wasn't aware this was available as an option, but I admit I don't think I could have stuck with the stock head unit. 

I'm very interested to hear how it will sound.

I might get to TSS @ Woodbridge as a spectator if you're doing that or failing that rob's BBQ if you're going to either of those then I will be happy to demo it.

Bring your own source material as unless you're into 80s indie or modern trance or blue note jazz I won't have much to interest you.

Oh and James, I think the white cable you refer to is part of the airbag system.

If you look in the manual it seems there is a drawing of where all the airbags are and the routing of the airbag wiring loom.

I might get to TSS @ Woodbridge as a spectator if you're doing that or failing that rob's BBQ if you're going to either of those then I will be happy to demo it.

Bring your own source material as unless you're into 80s indie or modern trance or blue note jazz I won't have much to interest you.

Oh and James, I think the white cable you refer to is part of the airbag system.

If you look in the manual it seems there is a drawing of where all the airbags are and the routing of the airbag wiring loom.

I'm hoping to spectate also, Ian, we can compare nipple fustrations... wait.. what :P