Twigman

OEMAUDIO+ CF400Reference install blog

Hi all

I have not done any car audio stuff for a very very long time.

I decided to upgrade the 86 system with the OEM AUDIO+ CF400 reference system.

http://www.shop.oemaudioplus.com/86-BRZ-International-Reference-400CF-GT86-REF400.htm;jsessionid=902F3AE76B3899916B9376BD1F97F17C.m1plqscsfapp06

This arrived, after a lengthy wait via USPS from LA, this morning.

I think the box of bits might be too big to take home in the boot of the 86!

i wasn't expecting that.

Anyway I thought I'd blog the install so i can identify any problems that an 'audio newb' like me might have with such a kit.

More to follow when I get it home somehow and unpack it.

post-384-0-71693600-1400667016_thumb.jpg

That's a nice box! Is this the FRS upgrade option?

The kit I have ordered is for UK spec RHD 86 with Toyota T&G HU. I made sure of that before I ordered.

Okay, but you can't order that here. It's not an option I'm aware of?

No it is a US aftermarket product no distributor in UK - They assured me the loom they have provided fits the UK spec RHD Toyota T&G HU.

I hope they are right.

This is a recent addition to their catalogue.

Did you check out the link?

Yes I saw the link. Looks like the sub takes up a fair bit of boot space. 

Still will be interesting to see how it improves the sound quality and has to be a better alternative to the JBL option. 

Got the big box home by folding down back seat and putting the box in through the passenger door.

OK so what's in the box?

First up the door drivers:

post-384-0-01462500-1400748943_thumb.jpg

They look OK with their carbon weave cones and some huge magnets on the back. They are premounted to 3 point brackets to use the same mounting points as OE..

Next we have the tweeters and a comprehensive installation instruction manual:

post-384-0-82083900-1400749028_thumb.jpg

these have neodymium magnets which make them featherweight - they are plug and play replacements for the dash tweeters

Next we have the loom c/w fusebox, plastic sleeving, fuses and cable ties:

post-384-0-32834800-1400749178_thumb.jpg

This looks and feels very well made

The DSP and amp are mounted on the back of the sub enclosure:

post-384-0-67763400-1400749232_thumb.jpg

And of course I had to put the sub enclosure in the boot to give an idea of what it would look like:

post-384-0-47132100-1400749310_thumb.jpg

That's it for now.

I hope to do this on Saturday afternoon or Sunday, weather permitting.

rain rain go away, come again another day!

Why does it always piss down when I least want it to?.....fingers crossed for a dry day tomorrow

Everytime the sun came out today I prepared to start the job then it would piss it down for 10 minutes then the sun comes out for 20 minutes then pisses down again - I have run out of time.

OK so been at this all afternoon.

One problem

How the hell do you cut the end off the firewall grommet where the power cables need to pass through into the engine bay?

I've been trying for over an hour!

HELP!!

Is this the one behind the battery?

Not sure about cutting the end off? I was able to make very careful additional small hole, in doing so managed to remove the grommet which is a big old thing and it was a proper pain to refit properly with much huffing and puffing. (assuming the same thing)

You could drill it (you'd need to be so careful) I think I used a small knife carefully and very very slowly, could make an expensive mistake there :)  Not much space to work, it's one of the aspects that took a long time and fair to say caused most frustration :)

Forge, I'm so glad you live close to me, my bestest buddy.

:D are you planning something that involves running a cable, for some reason I thought you had done some tweaking on the audio front........ happy to share/help with the pain points if you are.

Granted I haven't looked at the Grommet so take my drilling technique with a pinch of salt :P Is it not big then? Normally they are a fair size and drilling is fairly safe (provided you can hold a drill still)

Granted I haven't looked at the Grommet so take my drilling technique with a pinch of salt :P Is it not big then? Normally they are a fair size and drilling is fairly safe (provided you can hold a drill still)

It's quite big, I'd never thought of using a drilling more concerned what's behind just in case, though I guess if you are careful and a steady hand :)